[Ask] Best Portable Full-Size Headphone, Under USD $650,00
Jun 5, 2010 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

iPhone4G

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was searching for a headphone for portable use, I like an around the ear headphone ( full size headphone ) , Its comfortable for me :) , this will be my first headphone, Cause Im interested with headphone, I want to try it.. I like a rock music, pop, R&B, pop-rock, almost all my song is that's genre. I like bass, but I dont like too much bass.. I like a neutral, balance, wide soundstage. I like drum so much.. Im a drum head.. Drum sound make my heart beat, And I like it, So that's why I like drum. I love a comfortable headphone, that make me fall asleep.. That's all.. Any suggestion what headphone should I take..? Any help will be very appreciated.. :) Thanks for helping.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 22
I think he wants a headphone, the SM3 is an in-ear monitor. I would suggest starting off with a smaller amount (<$200) if this is your first 'big' headphone purchase, so you can actually tell (and appreciate) the differences in audio quality (and sound signatures) as you move up.

Also keep in mind that a lot of full-size headphones will not sound their best without a headphone amplifier.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 22
ESW-10jpn if you can find any or the ES-10. They stand alone at the top of all portable headphones.
However, you could consider the Ed.8's portable and they would easily be at the top top, but also more than 1k.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
ESW-10jpn if you can find any or the ES-10. They stand alone at the top of all portable headphones.
However, you could consider the Ed.8's portable and they would easily be at the top top, but also more than 1k.

ES10s definitely aren't for everyone.. I'd elaborate more but I'm about to go to sleep. However, if the negatives aren't much to you, it is the complete package. They do need a portable amp to sound fully fleshed out, however. I'd recommend the Mini^3, which is only $130.

If you want to know more, maybe search my posts on ES10 or PM me I guess.

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 22
HD-25 or the esw9jpn/es10. Get an amp along with those.....

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 22
really?? ESW10 standing at the top of all portable headphones?? lol, I found them quite boring personally, beautiful to look at, but boring. bass has no bite even out of lisa III, way too polite all round IMO. not really flawed so to speak, reasonable detail, mids are there, but not as textured or articulate as you would expect from a woody, highs dont sound as open as expected, isolation is also somewhat lacking IMO, pretty decent....but just.....meh.... didnt grab me at all. I really wanted to like them too as they are sexy as.

ive had many IEMs that sound bigger than these headphones. IMO HD25 beats them, pity your budget doesnt stretch to ED8

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 22
Guys, I need a headphone that have an ear pads cover around my ear (Circumaural headphones).. So is it ES10, and HD25 is a Circumaural headphones..?

Which HD 25 that you meant..? I look at the Sennheiser website there is more than one headphone call HD 25..
Which HD 25..?

HD 25-1 II

or

HD 25-SP II

Right now I only own Westone 3.. Wanna give a try some headphone..

About Edition 8, I've think to buy one, but when I see the price, Oh My Gosh, I don't intend to buy one anymore..

What is the different between ATH Japan version and the other version..? Is it japan sounds better..?

Any other suggestion..?

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 22

Probably meant the HD 25-1 II.  Good headphone.  Solid bass.  Doesn't thump though. 

I'm surprised no one mentioned the HFI 780.  Now that they have shortened the cable to 4 feet, they will deliver some solid boom for around 240 or less.  You can get you a nice amp with rest of the money.

The ESW9A would be another fairly good suggestion.  I'm not even sure where you can find the ES10 or ESW10jpn.  I think the jpn is disco'd
Quote:
Guys, I need a headphone that have an ear pads cover around my ear (Circumaural headphones).. So is it ES10, and HD25 is a Circumaural headphones..?

Which HD 25 that you meant..? I look at the Sennheiser website there is more than one headphone call HD 25..
Which HD 25..?

HD 25-1 II

or

HD 25-SP II

Right now I only own Westone 3.. Wanna give a try some headphone..

About Edition 8, I've think to buy one, but when I see the price, Oh My Gosh, I don't intend to buy one anymore..

What is the different between ATH Japan version and the other version..? Is it japan sounds better..?

Any other suggestion..?

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 22
ES10 is metal, ESW10JPN is wood. Really pretty (urushi?) lacquered wood. I thought you bought a JH13 or 16 AND an ED8. Well when I read through your past threads.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
ES10 is metal, ESW10JPN is wood. Really pretty (urushi?) lacquered wood. I thought you bought a JH13 or 16 AND an ED8. Well when I read through your past threads.

I've been thinking for that, but I cancel it since I dont have the budget, I thinking to not spent to much on this hobby, I got many hobby..
Custom IEM isn't my type, Since Im still in growing age.. Maybe My ear will get bigger, And if it happen, the custom IEM will not fit again.. About Edition 8 , Its so expensive, Way too expensive for a high school student like me.. Maybe if I graduate and have enough money I will buy some, Right now I only have universal IEM Westone 3.. But still im still praying that I win Fun Fact Friday quiz, that JH Audio make every friday, Price sometimes JH13 Pro or sometimes a T-Shirt. 2 people have already won a JH 13 Pro, and 1 people won a T-Shirt, right now. If I don't make any mistakes..

Any other suggestion..?

About ESW-10 JPN Dealer, Actually I already find some shop that sell it.. Its little expensive though.. But its fine..
After read some review I figure that ESW10 is better than ESW9 cause ESW10 got more soundstage and more detail.. But more expensive though..

So which should I take ESW-10 JPN or HD25-1 II , I've been thinking to get ESW-10, I like the headphone look. Black cherry wood, Yummy.. :)
In term of sonic quality I think ESW-10 JPN is better then HD25-1 II.. I don't know about you guys.. Maybe someone can give me explanation, which one is better..?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back