(Ask) Best High-End Portable Headphone
Apr 20, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhone4G /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I go for Edition 8..? Or maybe someone can suggest me other than that..

And can someone suggest me, The best portable amps for Edition 8?

The Ed.8's are fairly easy to drive so for amping it really depends on your tastes:

ALO Rx: Neutral class A solid state sound, very slightly colored towards warm . It can drive almost anything out there fairly well, its size is perfect when pairing with an ipod.

iQube: Very neutral and transparent, it is the most uncolored portable ive heard. Amazing battery life.

TTVJ Slim: Tube sound, warm and very musical, also its size format pairs well with the ipod. Not as powerful as the Rx.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #17 of 36
On a second thought i thinl i will stick with rsa protector since every headphone or iem that i buy every i use it with protector it sound great and fit with me.. afterall amps is not increase the sq it only change the sound.. So i will stick with my protector and my LOD..
And i cancel to use moon audio black dragon, wht? After i do some research, i found that the main problem of black dragon is its too thick.. And because not portable anymore

Can anyone suggest me best cable modification for edition 8, thats not thick, infact slim, hard to broke,
Balance sound, very transparent, fit all kind of music from jazz untill hard rock, warm, fit with imod, wide soundstage, not heavy, detail and pure sound, not easy got oxidation effect(cable become green),very musical, budget for these cable modification is US$ 500, and very pure and strong material
Any suggestion??

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 36
You already bought LOD and protector after that thread??? that was QUICK... 1 day overnight shipping?

If you want to use ED8 on balanced mode for Protector, Moon Audio or Whiplash might be a good idea since they already have the balanced end connector for Protector. BUT remember that ED8 is not a detachable cable headphone. You'd have to send your ED8 to the dealer in order to recable.

Try contacting
Stefan Audio Art
Moon Audio
Whiplash
Double Helix Cable
ALO

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #19 of 36
There are no full size headphones in any budget that will work portably that will sound good out of an iMod in comparison to how they'd sound on a full size system.

IEMs are IMO the only option for portable use, although ESW10s are very nice as well.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

...compatible with iPod Nano 5G/iPod touch 3rd gen/ iPhone 3GS ...

Having a budget around 4500 to use iPod/iPhone... Hmmm.
I think that HiFiMan HM-801 would be more suitable DAP choice for you.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Should I go for Edition 8..?
And can someone suggest me, The best portable amps for Edition 8?,

Rx has very nice synergy

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 36
I have yet to find a source the Ed 8 sound directly bad out of. Don´t get me wrong they scale nicely but I suppose they are so flat there is few dacs that have spikes that totally destroy them.

They don´t require much in term of amping though it certainly scales on my GHP. Still not enough for me to feel the need to invest in a portable amp that make the headphones less portable.
I love the tubey bass my ipod 3G touch outputs. Sure a bit bass light on the Ipod at times but rather that then to much of it. That they loose a bit speed doesn´t hurt that much either since they are plenty fast to begin with.

Maybe there is better portables but wonder what it would be if you can´t use IEMs? The main criticism I would preferr a plasticy ED 8 so I would dare to use it on more occasions. 400$ plastic ED 8 would be superb! Otherwise they are relatively small yet still 95 % circumaural. The cable is super soft, flexible and just the right length and they sit very well on my head when walking about with good isolation. Isolation hurt soundstage a bit but it´s still impressive considering the size of the headphones.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #23 of 36
OK, OK, iphone4G, let's do this together. This is a group therapy session and I'll walk with you every step of the way, so don't be afraid :wink:. I am buying an ED8 palladium version from ALO with "chain mail recable" (go to his mot thread and check it out). I already sent Ken the Protector connector and he is working on the logistic of it. He has also ordered the female connector for making adaptor. Like you, I have the Protector, JH13, ESW10, TWag cable, TWag Protector to 3.5 adaptor, TWag xlr to protector adaptor, and Pico slim is on the way. It's true that the JH13 is very good as portable goes, but like you there are times I just like to hear a nice headphone with a warm feel and bigger sound stage. The ESW10 is also very nice but like you I also prefer circumaural instead of over the ear. So I have been looking at exactly the same thing as you have and I come to the same conclusion that ED8 is it. But it got to be the Palladium version, it's so cool. I guess the other option is the TWag cable as it is rather small and flexible, but I think I like a change. I like some very fine and pure copper to give me a warm feel. Like every one has suggested here that I think the ED8 is probably the best current producing highend portable phone. I have five other portable amps but I am going with my Protector (it's almost finish baking at 600 hours, sound is much smoother now). The other amp I will try is the Pico slim when I recieve it soon. How about throwing an Ipad into the mix? Please let me know what you have decided and we can compare our thoughts.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You already bought LOD and protector after that thread??? that was QUICK... 1 day overnight shipping?

If you want to use ED8 on balanced mode for Protector, Moon Audio or Whiplash might be a good idea since they already have the balanced end connector for Protector. BUT remember that ED8 is not a detachable cable headphone. You'd have to send your ED8 to the dealer in order to recable.

Try contacting
Stefan Audio Art
Moon Audio
Whiplash
Double Helix Cable
ALO

stefan dont make cable for ed8 on their website, so out
Moon audio cable is too thick so out of the list
in whiplash website they dont make custom cable for ed8 so out

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

stefan dont make cable for ed8 on their website, so out
Moon audio cable is too thick so out of the list
in whiplash website they dont make custom cable for ed8 so out

read carefully on Stefan Audio Art. They DO carry custom ed8 cables. send them email if you are really serious about purchasing ED8.

Have u asked Craig at Whiplash for custom cable for ED8? You never know if he might do it for ED8. He's such a great guy.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, OK, iphone4G, let's do this together. This is a group therapy session and I'll walk with you every step of the way, so don't be afraid :wink:. I am buying an ED8 palladium version from ALO with "chain mail recable" (go to his mot thread and check it out). I already sent Ken the Protector connector and he is working on the logistic of it. He has also ordered the female connector for making adaptor. Like you, I have the Protector, JH13, ESW10, TWag cable, TWag Protector to 3.5 adaptor, TWag xlr to protector adaptor, and Pico slim is on the way. It's true that the JH13 is very good as portable goes, but like you there are times I just like to hear a nice headphone with a warm feel and bigger sound stage. The ESW10 is also very nice but like you I also prefer circumaural instead of over the ear. So I have been looking at exactly the same thing as you have and I come to the same conclusion that ED8 is it. But it got to be the Palladium version, it's so cool. I guess the other option is the TWag cable as it is rather small and flexible, but I think I like a change. I like some very fine and pure copper to give me a warm feel. Like every one has suggested here that I think the ED8 is probably the best current producing highend portable phone. I have five other portable amps but I am going with my Protector (it's almost finish baking at 600 hours, sound is much smoother now). The other amp I will try is the Pico slim when I recieve it soon. How about throwing an Ipad into the mix? Please let me know what you have decided and we can compare our thoughts.

hmm, yeah maybe i should get the Alo
cable mod, but confuse buy the cable sxc cryo version or the chain mail cable..? Since there is 2 type of alo cable for ed8.. Im still searching what is the different.. I already ask ken but he hasnt answer me
frown.gif

Btw how much do u pay for ed8 paladium with chain mail cable mod..?

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
read carefully on Stefan Audio Art. They DO carry custom ed8 cables. send them email if you are really serious about purchasing ED8.

Have u asked Craig at Whiplash for custom cable for ED8? You never know if he might do it for ED8. He's such a great guy.

Stefan website make me confuse.. Maybe i ask craig.. Will he do it for me..?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

hmm, yeah maybe i should get the Alo
cable mod, but confuse buy the cable sxc cryo version or the chain mail cable..? Since there is 2 type of alo cable for ed8.. Im still searching what is the different.. I already ask ken but he hasnt answer me
frown.gif

Btw how much do u pay for ed8 paladium with chain mail cable mod..?

Read the Chain Mail cable thread for the cost.

They all do recable for ed8. ALO, Moon, Whiplash, SAA. It all depends on what tick your fancy. As for ALO, I like the chain over the SXC and Ken told me that he is changing over to the Chain Mail cable now. It is the best cable he has. I have the SAA Vocie for my HD800 and I believe James from SAA strongly believe in pure copper core also.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the Chain Mail cable thread for the cost.

They all do recable for ed8. ALO, Moon, Whiplash, SAA. It all depends on what tick your fancy. As for ALO, I like the chain over the SXC and Ken told me that he is changing over to the Chain Mail cable now. It is the best cable he has. I have the SAA Vocie for my HD800 and I believe James from SAA strongly believe in pure copper core also.

I already send them all email..
About the alo chain mail, I hate cooper colour
smily_headphones1.gif
.. Can alo make it in black or silver
colour.. It will be greater..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back