(Ask) Best High-End Portable Headphone
Apr 19, 2010 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

iPhone4G

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I wonder what is the best portable HIGH END headphone..?
Headphone that comfortable, easy to carry, compatible with iPod Nano 5G/iPod touch 3rd gen/ iPhone 3GS , Excelent soundstage, Can play all kind of music,
Excelent Noise Reduction/Isolation, Prefferred Around the ear/ Over the ear/Circumaural
(I dont like On ear), Durable, Excelent SQ, Very transparent, very pure, Better than JH 16 Pro/ES3X/UE 18 Pro/JH 13 Pro, Balance sound, Budget US$ 2,500 for the headphone itself.. And US$ 1000 for the portable amplifier, and for LOD & replacement cable modification 1000$.. Thanks before..
Its so hard to find high end portable headphone, I've own Many custom IEM, wanna try for portable headphone(High End)

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 36
Ultrasone Edition 8 would seem like the best high end portable headphone that isnt an iem.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 36
Yeah I was thinking about edition 8 also, but need more info.. Cuz ultrasone website
doesnt tell us the spesification of the product..

Need
more
advise
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhone4G /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget US$ 2,500 for the headphone itself..

With such headphones you'll need a much better source than any portable player.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 36
From what you can read around here, you won't find much better than the JH13 or UE18 for portable applications.

Regarding amplifier, I would get a pico slim, TTVJ portable tube amp or a DIY mini3.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 36
It really dosnt matter. Sorry.

you are using the headphones as much for noise blocking & backrouond noise as for actual sound. I would say stick with the customs you already have and just go from there.

If you are looking for the worlds best transportable rig I would advocate taking the Imod out of the chain, getting a laptop with a digital output and shipping a standalone DAC and amp wherever you are going. Alternately leave one at work.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 36
I'm surprised that 2rooi123 hasn't dropped by to recommend the ES10's
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 36
I'd stick with customs for portable uses - the amount of noise present on the move would just contradict any improvements you'd get from a hi-end headphone.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 36
Agree with the above posters. Can't really beat a Jerry Harvey or Ultimate Ears top of the line custom. If you want to go all out, get a RSA Protector, Whiplash Protector recable, and maybe get a HifiMan 801 player.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 36
I also prefer customs when going portable, however I came to prefer the EarSonics EM3pro over the JH13pro's. To bad almost no one has heard them, because a bit more critical mass and they would be over JH...

The Ed.8's isolate quite well for being full size, if you dont want customs then they are your only option, and its a good option. I use the ALO Rx and iQube to power them, somehow I slightly prefer the Rx.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ed.8's isolate quite well for being full size, if you dont want customs then they are your only option, and its a good option. I use the ALO Rx and iQube to power them, somehow I slightly prefer the Rx.

Ed8's & Hifi-man

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 36
Should I go for Edition 8..? Or maybe someone can suggest me other than that..

And can someone suggest me, The best portable amps for Edition 8?, and the LOD for the amps that compatible with IMoD 5.5G ..?

I have RSA Protector and whiplash elite twag LOD for my JH and UE customs..

I plan to use a Moon audio black dragon for the ed8.. Any suggested for these portable can..? And a LOD for the amps that fit with iMod 5.5G.. For LOD I got 500$, and for the Amps 1000$

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With such headphones you'll need a much better source than any portable player.
biggrin.gif

Not necessarily true. I listened the ED8 from my iRiver E10 with ogg Q10 files and it put into shame the Fatman iTube driven from a "professional" USB DAC.

I could also put my PS1000 + iRiver E10 against some lower grade headphones driven from anything and be curious about the results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back