ASIO4All Explanation
Feb 11, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #76 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can change this on the menu of X-Fi itself. If you want 16-bits you've got to select it there.

It's been awhile since I've fiddled with the X-Fi configurations, where can I find the option to change this? In foobar, mine is locked to 32-bit.

Also, someone mentioned selecting Audio Creation mode -> bit-matched playback will essentially do the same thing as manually changing it to 16-bit, is that correct?

Keep up the good work!
rs1smile.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #77 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been awhile since I've fiddled with the X-Fi configurations, where can I find the option to change this? In foobar, mine is locked to 32-bit.

Also, someone mentioned selecting Audio Creation mode -> bit-matched playback will essentially do the same thing as manually changing it to 16-bit, is that correct?

Keep up the good work!
rs1smile.gif

In bit matched mode, the card will read out exactly what is in the file, at the bitrate the file indicates. Yes, getting bit-perfect output from the X-fi is that easy.

Enoyin: I don't mean to offend either, or imply that anything written is incorrect. The only thing I would want to steer people away from is the incorrect assumption that if they are using kernel streaming or ASIO to output bit-perfect information to a sound card, then the sound card will automatically be outputing analogue or digital based on that bit-perfect information, unaltered. Some soundcards and most audiophile-grade DAC's will do so; Others, such as just about everything Creative produced prior to X-fi, will internally resample to 48 khz, no matter what, and there's nothing the user can do to bypass it. As far as USB consumer-grade soundcards, I know the M-audio Transit can pass bit-perfect 44.1 khz information from a CD to, say, an outboard reciever or dac; I also know the Creative Audigy 2 NX cannot, at least not using ASIO, ASIO wrappers, or Kernel Streaming (It resamples everything to 48khz internally, regardless of whether it's talking to k-mixer or not). Regardless of what the NX ouputs over the optical/digital coax, it has at some point been resampled, in some cases twice (44.1-->48-->44.1), internal to the card. In the NX's case, whether or not its resampling has any impact on sound quality is something I don't know.

When I talk about the sampling rates not being integer multiples of each other, I mean that to go between two such rates requires precision math and can be computationally intensive. It has nothing to do with failing the nyquist rate, it has to do with the fact that if the two sampling rates don't "match up" nicely, then you have to sit and figure out what's the best way to render the new samples in the final rate based on where they fall in time in relation to the samples in the old rate. Sample rate conversion is entirely the reason to bypass k-mixer, I don't see why one would do all that work to bypass it, only to hand the info off to a soundcard that's going to do the same thing anyway...and I think it would be remiss to suggest that once you bypass k-mixer, all is well with regards to getting your original digital stream out un-molested.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #78 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was getting distortion and what not when I set buffers and stuff to 0

btw, what are some examples of a DTS CD track? .. does that mean any CD's that are DDD? you mean .dts files extracted from a DVD?

It's normal to get distortion when setting the latency to 0. That is what the latency is for. Just keep it at the highest value (2048 samples, 4 buffers) and you will be allright.

DTS is Digital Theater Sound. It's the sound file provided by some DVDs. It's a 16-bits/ 44.1 kHz file.( .dts indeed)

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #79 of 479
@ hithere

Right. I got it now. Maybe I'll write a small part about it. It never really occurred to me because my card will definitely output bit accurate signals if I deliver it bit accurate signals.

Thanks for pointing it out. Now I will only have to find the time to edit the original post.
blink.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #80 of 479
Glad we're all in agreement, sorry if I was unclear in earlier posts. Here's some more on the subject of early Creative cards:

from digital life http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...tive-x-fi.html
:

"....damaging the image of Live/Audigy cards, has been the uninterruptible mediocre hardware resampling of all frequencies into the reference frequency of 48 kHz. In order to get high quality playback of 44.1 kHz format (the majority of records), users started installing DirectSound or ASIO SSRC plugins (software sample rate conversion) for popular mp3 players - Winamp and Foobar."

--In this case, the author is saying that rather than have the older Creative card do Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) in hardware, people started using software SRC plug-ins with ASIO...this is a more complex and accurate approach to SRC (44.1->48) than either Windows k-mixer or the Creative cards (prior to X-fi) use. Using the plugins, you avoid having the soundcard do SRC, and using ASIO, you avoid having k-mixer do SRC. The best way would be to not have to resample at all (by, say, using an Envy24-based card, or X-fi, instead), but this is the next best thing.

@ Suzaka: Here is an interesting discussion on digital volume control at hydrogenaudio:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=47597

I think it's best to simply use whatever analog volume you have to adjust volume, and leave whatever digital volumes you have maxed. If you have reason to use digital volume control, then don't worry about it so long as you are using one of the methods described above.

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #81 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by hithere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ Suzaka: Here is an interesting discussion on digital volume control at hydrogenaudio:

Thanks from me, also! This is a great discussion - including some major developers' contributions!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #82 of 479
Quote:

I think it's best to simply use whatever analog volume you have to adjust volume, and leave whatever digital volumes you have maxed. If you have reason to use digital volume control, then don't worry about it so long as you are using one of the methods described above.

I will write a part about this in the original post later on today. I will just have to find the time to do so.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #83 of 479
Quote:

I will write a part about this in the original post later on today. I will just have to find the time to do so.

...just wanted to say thanks for putting all this together. I know such posts take time and effort, and I think we all appreciate it.
cool.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #84 of 479
Quote:

...just wanted to say thanks for putting all this together. I know such posts take time and effort, and I think we all appreciate it.
cool.gif

Thank you guys for providing additional information. I like writing this and I learned a lot myself from doing it.

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #86 of 479
Thanks for the guide, EnOYiN!
eggosmile.gif

Even while I only have here an AC97 onboard and a Philips HP250, decided to try ASIO4All and see what happens.
icon10.gif

Everything seems to be working ok, I just needed to enable the resampling to 48KHz, or foobar2k would crash. Probably because the crappy onboard requires this (hence the name 'AC97 Troubleshooting' for that function...).
Well, didn't really notice difference in the sound, but will keep it I think.
lambda.gif

Ah, interestingly, the AC97 driver Equalizer still works... The master volume too, WAVE volume does NOT work. I think it is allright, correct? At least I'm bypassing the KMixer right?

EDIT: Strange, sometimes at the beginning of the playback, the audio starts "cracking", and only stops if I stop and play again, or if I seek. Any ideas? Maybe a latency or buffer problem?

EDIT 2: Disabled the foobar Resampler and it seems to have resolved the problem... Strange isn't it?
I thought it would be better to use foobar Resampler before, instead of letting ASIO resample it for AC97... but I think ASIO didn't liked that.
lambda.gif

EDIT 3: Oops, happened again, even with foobar Resampler turned off. But it seems to happen MUCH more with the Resampler turned on... What should I try?
confused.gif
Is this normal when ASIO is started and there's some high CPU usage going on? This could be the problem with the Resampler...

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #87 of 479
Thanks. I like helping people. It's good for my ego. It makes me feel like I am doing something useful with my life.
wink.gif

It's quite common that when starting a track you will hear a small "crack". Not that it is a good thing. Most likely it has to do with the quality of the soundcard. It has indeed to do with the latency the soundcard can handle at the start.

You can try another resampler if you like. Here is a link:
http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html

The normal Foobar resampler is not that great. (nor is AC97
biggrin.gif
) It should however do the job. I didn't write a part about the AC97 features yet. I will when I find the time.

It is normal that the WAVE volume slider does not work anymore. This happens when you bypass the Kmixer.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can also try to not use the mixer features at all by turning them off completely. This is however not recommended when using an internal soundcard. There is a link somewhere in this thread about it. Let me try to find it.........................................found it......

Here it is:

Like I wrote in the original post: You can just set your everything to max volume, but ofcourse this will present a problem if you haven't got analogue volume control. This would mean you will have to listen to max volume the entire time. And I can't recommend that at all ofcourse.

As long a you like the placebo it does not matter whether you hear the difference or not.
biggrin.gif
Loads of people use FLAC to encode their music without being able to hear the difference. It could however be that subconsious you are able to hear it and maybe this will provide you with this (extra) great feeling you get when hearing a good song.
Or maybe it will cause less mental stress. Who knows. I haven't read anything concrete about this so I think I will try to find some information about it.
wink.gif

The way I look at it is this:
Even if I would not be able to hear it ( I am btw) I would install it because it is free and it does give extra SQ. In combination with FLAC it could be even better. It's just a small change. Same as changing from mp3 to FLAC. Every small change is one. And they will add up to one major change.

Good luck with setting it up.

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #89 of 479
Quote:

Thanks. I like helping people. It's good for my ego. It makes me feel like I am doing something useful with my life.
wink.gif

^^

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #90 of 479
Quote:

I am working on this thread right now so do not be surprised to see some sudden changes. I hope you will get your TBH working.

Good luck.

I got my Bithead back and in 5 minutes with your instructions got it working perfectly. I honestly don't know yet if there is any audible improvement - just made the switch - but it's glitch free so I'm sticking with it. When my new DT880s arrive, it just might make the difference.
Thanks!

EDIT: I do use replaygain in Foobar - and I like it. I know it's an open question as to how the volume adjustment may be affecting things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back