ASIO4All Explanation
Feb 21, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #106 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are welcome.

This is quite common. I've got a Porta Corda MkIII-USB and that will also play louder with ASIO than without. Does this mean my USB/DAC sucks? Nah..

The turtle beach card isn't that bad, but a USB/DAC would do better. Something like the Total Bithead is doing better just because you can amplify it as well as get a better signal. It's a completely different price range though, so differences in SQ can be expected.

Just a USB-DAC(without the amp) will make it sound better for the reason that it's a better DAC. Once again it's in a completely different price range.

There are people who are way more knowledgeable on the amp & dac thing so I would ask it in the amps subforum if you are really intending to buy something like that. I think it will increase the SQ quite a lot since the 580 is a pretty high impedance headphone. (300 Ohm I think? - not sure)

Cheers.

Edit: nevermind the last part of this post. I missed the headsave there.

Thanks for the info! I already have an amp...the Headsave Classic with AD8620/AD8610 op-amps that I'm quite happy with. I was just questioning the DAC and it sounds like it would be a good idea to get one. Back into the old wallet!
icon10.gif

Edit: Oops...didn't see your edit.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #108 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For asio, If i want to revert back to the default soundcard (not usb channels set to left and right), how should I set the 8 channels (which now all have "none")?

I send a pm.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #109 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info! I already have an amp...the Headsave Classic with AD8620/AD8610 op-amps that I'm quite happy with. I was just questioning the DAC and it sounds like it would be a good idea to get one. Back into the old wallet!
icon10.gif

Edit: Oops...didn't see your edit.

I happens to all of us I guess.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #110 of 479
Quote:

I send a pm.

Which is here for everyone else who might be interested in setting this up:

You can map as you like. I am sure that's not the asnwer you would want me to give you, but in the end it's true. I will provide you with a link to wikipedia and I will give you the most common used settings.

Here are the standard settings I am using myself. Note that these settings are dependant on my (very limited) crappy on-board soundcard settings. If you can use other channels with your soundcard I would recommend it. I will give you some other possibilties as well.

My (limited) settings are:

Channel 01: Left
Channel 02: Right
Channel 03: Center
Channel 04: LFE

It just doesn't have more settings on my laptop. I can't help it either. The fun trivia here is that it actually is a 8 channel card. Just not from one output.

Standard (better settings) are:

Channel 01: Front Left
Channel 02: Front Right
Channel 03: Center
Channel 04: Side Left
Channel 05: Side Right
Channel 06: Surround Left
Channel 07: Surround Right
Channel 08: LFE (bass)

This is standard setup for speakers. However for headphones I would just map the "normal" left and right. Since you've just got 2 channels when using a headphone; a left and a right, it would seem like the logical thing to do for me. Actually, it is. There is for as far as I know only one exception on this which is a gaming headphone made by Razer, the Barracuda, which has more than 2 channels.

Now the link to wikipedia, our friend in times of trouble. ( aside from mother Mary ofcourse)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surroun...ls_to_speakers

And another, also to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_channel_audio

I hope I informed you well enough with this. If not do not hesitate to ask in the thread or pm me.

Cheers.

P.S. I thought it was fun reading about the 22.2 Channel Surround Sound. You might like that aswell.

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #111 of 479
Thanks for the tutorial! I spent a good part of an hour trying to figure out how to output asio in foobar until I found your post. (I forgot to change the asio4all component to my usbdac) Thanks!

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #112 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tutorial! I spent a good part of an hour trying to figure out how to output asio in foobar until I found your post. (I forgot to change the asio4all component to my usbdac) Thanks!

You are welcome.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #114 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by yanfeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused again. Is ASIO4ALL sonically inferior to USB-ASIO or hardware ASIO. What kind of evil will the "wrapper" do?

A wrapper will, at some point, have to use the audio-architecture made by Windows. USB-ASIO or native ASIO will be more direct. It can truly bypass everything and communicate directly with a device.

Will it sonically be inferior? Well, I can't hear the difference for one, but it's there. Audible or not.

So why would I use USB-ASIO instead of ASIO4All? When recording something and using an external device you don't really want to start losing quality just because the OS isn't helping. The thing you should try to consider is that ASIO was made for professional use. Studios don't want to lose quality and are willing to spend a bit of money to make sure of that. ASIO was never made to serve other purposes other than getting bit-perfect output and to be able to control the latency given to certain devices.

If you want a recommendation on what you should use, then here it is: Don't use USB-ASIO unless you think it's audible or if you want to throw some money away. If you've got a studio it is adviceable to use the best there is. If you don't use it for that purpose than just use ASIO4All.

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #117 of 479
Thanks EnOYiN. I really like this thread even if I can't get any audible sonic improvement over that. Very enlightening.

Another question. Using ASIO4ALL, I can't control the volume of the digital output of UD-10 within windows, but I can still control the volume of its analogue output. I will see the analogue out as working under the "wrapper", but is the digital out bypassing it?

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #118 of 479
Quote:

With ASIO installed, and the Windows sound system disabled, there is no control of the sound level output (via the PC) so I installed a passive volume control between the UD-10 and amplifier.

Taken from the website of the people who made the UD-10. I think this answers your question. I am not entirely sure though since I didn't really get the last sentence.

This one:
Quote:

I will see the analogue out as working under the "wrapper", but is the digital out bypassing it?

If you can rephrase that, I'll try to answer it again.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #119 of 479
Has anyone got ASIO4ALL to work with AV-710? (w/o prodigy)

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #120 of 479
Sorry for my poor English, EnOYiN. MY question is whether through ASIO4ALL, the digital out of UD-10 has completely bypassed windows kernal mixer, while its analogue out has not.

Quote:

If you can rephrase that, I'll try to answer it again.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back