Asian teapot-fi
Jun 24, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #91 of 154
Well you can get any tea in that form. The leaves are tied together and then are compacted in a ball shape so when you put it in water and the leaves open (just like any full leaf tea) the "bud" will open. It's not some expensive tea.

In fact you don't want to buy tea in such a shape because the leaves are not free enough and it is not an optimal condition for your infusion.

On an other side it may be nice to display such tea in a glass teapot with some guests.

here is a link to "blooming tea" the prices are 15$ for 50g so I think you should have 4-5 "buds" for the price.

This place is where I buy all my tea and is located in Montreal(Canada). They send people around the world to taste and select the teas they'll sell. They ship everywhere and have a great selection of fresh and Pu-erh tea.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #92 of 154
Hey just saw this thread and I find it interesting to me because I drink tea every day, usually 2-3 cups a day, just earl gray.

I ordered samples of the 10 most popular at Upton tea, do you guys think you could recommend me anything, I prefer hot tea and like it to be on the mild and sweeter side if that is possible, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #94 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey just saw this thread and I find it interesting to me because I drink tea every day, usually 2-3 cups a day, just earl gray.

I ordered samples of the 10 most popular at Upton tea, do you guys think you could recommend me anything, I prefer hot tea and like it to be on the mild and sweeter side if that is possible, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like mild tea and are used to drink black tea, you could try some Oolong tea wich is between black and green teas. You don't have the herbal taste of green tea or the astringent taste of some strong black tea.

I find Oolong tea to be more appropriate in the evening while relaxing (listening to music, etc.) and I keep my black tea to give me my morning "punch" since I have some strong ones like Assam or Ceylon.

Welcome to Tea-fi...

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #95 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by porfryrieggwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy all teas black green and white. But above all I think white taste the best. Except for the cheap Salida white tea i got which taste like a mix of green and black tea...

I tasted yellow tea once and it had a taste of raw potatoes. It didn't only tasted that but it was really surprising. The taste had some complexity somewhere between green and Pu-erh tea. It was really interesting.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #96 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tasted yellow tea once and it had a taste of raw potatoes. It didn't only tasted that but it was really surprising. The taste had some complexity somewhere between green and Pu-erh tea. It was really interesting.

Like HarryPotter Grass Jellybean interesting? :p

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #97 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by porfryrieggwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like HarryPotter Grass Jellybean interesting? :p

I preffered the dirt one... Feeled like my youg times in the sandbox...

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #98 of 154
my main tea
374_th.jpg

broken Ceylon Idulgashena (dynamic-organic black tea by Stassen I think) (also available as leaf tea) mostly drinking it the english way (little sugar and milk, really not that much)

housewarescorp-store_2005_2291472

my pot ^^ (holds up to 6 of ...

muumi_mpappa.jpg
)
my mug

have-a-better-one!

[now drinking: Japan-Uji Sencha Kyomizu (organic green tea)]

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #99 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my main tea

broken Ceylon Idulgashena (dynamic-organic black tea by Stassen I think) (also available as leaf tea) mostly drinking it the english way (little sugar and milk, really not that much)

my pot ^^ (holds up to 6 of ...

my mug

have-a-better-one!

[now drinking: Japan-Uji Sencha Kyomizu (organic green tea)]

I heard that green tea from the Sencha region are quite good, I'm no green tea expert (more of the black type) but I will surely make a step toward green tea this summer for the light taste.

And while i'm at it... this is my Iwachu Casting Works pot from japan. I wanted something plain that won't show any degradation (loss of color)

teapot-koto-480-161_lg.jpg

I have 4 small cup that look a bit like those, simple yet nice looking. It's important to have the inside white to be able to see the color of your tea wich is a part of the whole experience.
Teacup00.gif

Happy drinking!

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #100 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I watched the 2006 movie "Marie Antoinette" the other night and in it, the Antoinette character receives some tea as a gift from the Emperor of China. I think she says it's Oolong Tea (might be wrong about that) but what made it interesting was that the dry tea appeared to be a single solid bud sitting centered in the bottom of the cup and which when water was added, slowly opened up .... like a flower. Looked impressive, and I'm assuming, considering the source of the gift, expensive.

Anybody know anything about this particular tea?

Hmm, I've seen a lot of display teas out there, but never oolong. Usually they're green or white. I'd be interested in trying it out if someone knows of one.

I've had this one from Tea Spring (not bad - Rishi has what looks to be the same one), and Teance has a few that are a little on the expensive side.

Rishi also used to have Angel Peach, which was supposed to be good.

There are plenty of display teas that are just plain awful, particularly those supplied for weddings and such.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #101 of 154
what's the good Japanese green tea you guys have? I just start to like tea recently, but no idea which tea tastes good.
redface.gif

Matcha, Sencha, Bancha or anything else?

and which brand?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #102 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the good Japanese green tea you guys have? I just start to like tea recently, but no idea which tea tastes good.
redface.gif

Matcha, Sencha, Bancha or anything else?

and which brand?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're searching for real good tea you won't have to look for brands. The thing you are after are regions(Ceylon,Darjeeling,etc.) and estates. Each region have many estates producing different teas. Usually the regions are used to categorize teas and in the same category you'll have plenty of different teas coming from different estates and some estates produce different teas. Of course above all that you have colors of tea (white,yellow,green,Oolong,black,pu-erh).

The first thing is to find a good tea provider in your region. (While travelling I've been able to find one in nearly each city I visited) Then you tell to the people there what you're searching for in your own words and they'll be able to suggest a tea that fits your tastes and your budget.

At first I only bought the cheapest ones (5-10$ for 50g) because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 10$ and a 50$ tea. Now, after a year, I'm drinking Pu-erh wich can go from 20$ to 100$ and is considered to be amongst the greatest teas (some of them gets better with time just like wine)

Welcome to tea-fi...

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #103 of 154
Thanks Nicolas2305

I mean only if I wanna have Japanese green tea.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just went to the Uwajimaya in downtown Seattle yesterday and found a lot of green tea. So I had no idea which one I should get.
redface.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #104 of 154
First you have to know what you're searching in terms of taste. Something good for me might not be as good for you. "Gunpowder" could be a good starter green tea. The reason it is called this is because the leaves have been rolled in small balls.

Other than that you could go for Sencha wich is a popular Japanese green tea.

I not much into green tea but this is the most information that I can give you. I'm much a black tea drinker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back