Asian teapot-fi
Jul 2, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #121 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your statistic of 1-2g per cup, and given that some of the medium tea prices on Upton tea imports is about 50g for 10dollars or so, that equates to about 25-50 cents per cup ignoring costs of teapots and such (I will probably stick to infusing in a plain 250mL coffee cup.

And yes Oolong by a mix of Black and Green I meant strength.

I have a infuser already (I believe) it looks like this Tea Infuser anything else I should possibly consider. I liked the black tea the other day so I might try some Oolong since is is supposedly between green and black tea and I enjoy some green tea varieties.

I had this type of infuser for about 1 or 2 month and then the guy at my tea store told me that the leaves didn't have enough room to expand and infuse properly (wich make sense). you should go for something that look more like a basket than a ball like those that way, your leaves have enough room to move and infuse at their best.

Your logic is correct on about you move in tea strength. I was also a black tea drinker at first and then I tried Oolong to eventually move to green tea (the move hasn't ben made yet) but during that time I discovered Pu-erh. The best is always to start by something you like and slowly move toward new stuff.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #122 of 154
Head-fi should be banned world wide, first it draws you in with some curiosity about middle range headphones, something better than your I-buds. Then it spreads out and consumes you with all the ____-Fi topics. Now I am interested in Cameras (increased my interest), Speakers, Headphones, Macs, DIY audio, Tea, Guitars, Etc...

As Jahn always says Curse you Head-fi :p

Yea, I may try some Oolong this summer, I have tried some low quality white tea also and it was fairly good, I don't care for tea this time of year mostly because it is summer, but I may have a cup of Chai tea (decaf) later tonight.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #124 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I just got a kick out of the $150-200 water heaters which were linked to several times.

Normally I just warm up a single cup of water to near boiling in the microwave, it works well for me. I may consider buying some tea leaves later this year, maybe some black or green and perhaps some oolong (isn't it sort of a mix of green and black)

Also so I can get an idea, when I buy a packet of 50g of green tea leaves, about how many cups is that, or more or less about how many grams per cup is needed?

The guricha I just reviewed was $14.95 for 100 g, and I went with 3 g per 8oz (which lasted three good infusions), so that's about 33 sessions or 99 cups of tea at a cost of about 15 cents each.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get along without a lot of things, but like a lot of things, the water heater makes life a little easier ... in this case by making preparation a lot faster for those who drink tea all day long.

Oh, no doubt. When I had access to the water cooler (and heater) at work, I drank tea constantly. Now that I brew more often using a small gaiwan, I usually just heat a big pot of water and infuse a few grams of leaves enough times until I've got a big glass full of oolong.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #125 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been drinking some Sencha green tea mixed with Matcha green tea, and its quite invigorating!

Yeah, the matcha really converts the sencha into a new experience.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #126 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I cannot believe this green tea matcha thing. I kind-a took green for granted, I thought no big thing, been drinking it all my adult life. Anyway, went on-line to to find a picture or link of this matcha maker I have. It looks like a medium turkish coffee/pepper grinder with a longer handle. On the inside it has a set of ceramic grinding disks that pulverizes the leaf tea to powder (sorry but I'm definitely not a tech writer). But no luck, too many green tea sites to look through.

Bottom line, I'm having matcha right now at my desk, no whisk, just a teaspoon of tea in the cup with hot water over. The tea is Sayama-cha, from Saitama-ken, you can't (seem to) get it here in the States.

I found the link for my matcha-maker. ItoHealth Green Tea Grinder

pro_ochagrinder.jpg

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #127 of 154
Do you freeze your tea before grinding it or you don't need to? Because if you do, then it would be a bit of trouble to always take care of having frozen tea for Matcha making.

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #129 of 154
There's so much in tea drinking, I've been seriously drinking tea for a year now and I haven't tried everything yet.

There's so much more to discover but I can say that I might be halfway to have tried every type of tea availible in the way it is meant to be made.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #130 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you freeze your tea before grinding it or you don't need to? Because if you do, then it would be a bit of trouble to always take care of having frozen tea for Matcha making.

Yes.

The tea is frozen in individual vacuum packs sealed from the vendor, we're talking about a years supply--don't get to Japan as often as I would like. A pack is emptied into a cherry wood container awaiting consumption, only about 25% is ground to matcha.

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #131 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are four Tea Bowls I made several years ago. They were fired in a Noborigama kiln using wood for fuel.

teabowls.jpg

I like your bowls. The variety of colors from the wood ash is always interesting. I also am am a potter and should take pictures of what I make before it goes to buyers or friends. I use to have access to a wood fired and salt kilns in addition to my gas fired and raku one when I lived in California. Now I teach at a studio and we use an electric one. I am thinking about making some small teapots and leaving them unglazed like the Yixing teapots.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #132 of 154
I don't know why it took me so long to notice this thread. I love tea. This is how I prefer to start my day:

378542163_cc60d088b8.jpg

I have a small clay kyuusu that I absolutely adore, and prefer to feed it with gyokuro, though for financial reasons I mostly drink sencha. I drink it out of a hobnail-pattern cast iron teacup.

264717115_2188f9dd57.jpg

Tea is something that I love so much I don't want to imagine life without it. It's a ritual for me, drinking it is a wonderful experience, and it's good for my health. So, I figure why fight it? It's as enriching to my life as music and art are, and I think that's a wonderful kind of thing to be able to do.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #133 of 154
Just picked up a zojirushi 3Liter electric dispensing pot for work.

Enjoying some wonderful oolong right now. mmmm

To think this thread got me started...

Curse all of you.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #135 of 154
This thread just hit me hard. I've never considered that tea could be this complex. Me and my gf usually drink several cups a day, but we usually only drink bagged tea. Only recently have we started with loose tea. Due to this thread, we will really start to experiment with it and will drink tea the "right" way from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back