Asian teapot-fi
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #136 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your bowls. The variety of colors from the wood ash is always interesting. I also am am a potter and should take pictures of what I make before it goes to buyers or friends. I use to have access to a wood fired and salt kilns in addition to my gas fired and raku one when I lived in California. Now I teach at a studio and we use an electric one. I am thinking about making some small teapots and leaving them unglazed like the Yixing teapots.

I fired those tea Bowls at the North Carolina Pottery Center in Seagrove.
The North Carolina Pottery Center

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #137 of 154
Well the curse carries over into gear-fi.. this thread piqued my interest in loose leaf tea causing much destruction to my wallet but also a lot of enjoyment..

the damage of two months, in order:

Rishi Green Tea Sampler (didn't really like any of them, tossed the herbal)
Yixing
Gaiwan
Artistic Nippon Tokoname Kyusu by Koshin
Zojirushi CD-LCC30
yixing teacup set
Hou De Ali Shan "Winter Petals" Oolong (great)
Hou De Li-Shan "Tsui Feng" Oolong (great)
Hou De "Buddha's Hand" Oolong (good)
Hou De Pu-erh samples (hated)
o-cha Fukamushi Sencha Supreme (very different but pretty good)
Hagi Chawan by Seigan
Hagi Yunomi by Deishi
teatray
glass serving pitcher
another gaiwan
teamasters "two year old tree" baozhong (very good)
Floating Leaves Tea "Dong Ding" Oolong (good)
120ml glass teapot
brown Hagi Yunomi by Seigan
two sets of 6oz Bodum Pavina cups
Hou De Li-Shan "Da Yu Ling" Oolong (excellent)
popcorn.gif

A picture would have been much easier.. *takes a peek in the camera threads*

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #138 of 154
He he he, nice!

Always more people! I'm pretty low on money right now (couldn't buy an iPod with all my money) but as soon as I get more money, I'll start again to buy tea and "teawares" to equip myself properly.

It's been over a year since I started to drink tea and I love it. People are always surprised that I love tea because I'm still young (23) for these kind of things

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #139 of 154
What better way is there to start the tea journey than to ask some questions which I haven't found some answers for.

1. When the tea has been in the pot for roughly 3 minutes, I take it out. To use it again, should I put it in any particular way? In water? On a plate?

2. If I want to use the same leaves again for a second pot, do I have to use them as soon as possible to not loose taste? Can I let them lay on a plate for some hours and then use it again? Can I let the leaves dry over the night on a plate, and use them again in the morning?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #140 of 154
1. you can just put it aside.

2. rather than keeping used tea overnight, you can use less tea and use it two times right away to produce the amount of tea you want.

I must warn you that not every tea can be used two times and I rather use new leaves each time unless you're really poor.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #141 of 154
1. just put it aside -- not in water.

2. I re-infuse within four hours or so. Depends upon the tea. A re-infusion contains less caffeine, btw. Some teas have slightly different characteristic on subsequent infusions--some stand up to multiple infusions better than others.

Google tea and do some fun reading. Much info out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #142 of 154
Thanks both of you for the answers
smily_headphones1.gif
That did clear up some intitial ??? I had
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #143 of 154
another good way to keep the leaves in between infusions is to just use a smaller teapot or gaiwan, that way all of the water is drained and consumed at the end of each infusion.

generally, high quality oolong and aged pu-erh can go for at least 8 or 9 short infusions.
AFAIK black and english teas are usually meant to use less leaf and a longer single infusion in a larger teapot but I don't have much experience with them myself.
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #144 of 154
I finally tried some Puerh and some gunpowder green tea.

I think I'm switching over from coffee. The Puerh taste is fantastic.

Now, I ordered some Puerh Tou Cha from Teas Etc. The company is located in West Palm Beach, Florida, so I already know its a rip off.

Where do you order your tea from? I've seen the following sites:

Upton
Silk Road Teas

Any other suggestions?

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #148 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those cast iron pots are pretty sweet!

I bought mine here. They do have quite nice stuff. Lot of Yixing too and they have everything you might need to drink your tea properly. The only sad thing is that they don't seem to sell hardware on their website, only tea.

Welcome to tea-fi

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #149 of 154
Hey everyone, I need a tea recommendation.

I'm looking for some very very strong Green tea for a gift. My dad had some green tea that he got from a japanese co-worker, and you could use a single leaf for several cups. He brought a few leaves home, and it's pretty incredible how strong it is.

I'm looking for that classic dark and robust green tea flavor, but with very strong sharpness and bitterness.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #150 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, I need a tea recommendation.

I'm looking for some very very strong Green tea for a gift. My dad had some green tea that he got from a japanese co-worker, and you could use a single leaf for several cups. He brought a few leaves home, and it's pretty incredible how strong it is.

I'm looking for that classic dark and robust green tea flavor, but with very strong sharpness and bitterness.

You're looking for a Japanese green tea. In the Japanese green teas, you don't have that herbal taste more common in Chinese green teas.

If the Japanese green tea isn't enough, you could have a look into Oolong(Wu-long) teas. They're semi-oxyded (between green and black tea) You'll have more of a floral taste from those (like the teas coming from Darjeeling).

As for the second use of the same leaves, it depends of the tea, ask the people at a good tea store, they usually know their stuff and can tell you what you're searching for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back