Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #586 of 2,994

Quote:
Monkey Majik - Picture Perfect (ft. M-Flo)

I love that song, I love the remix too!

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #588 of 2,994
Hm, looks interesting. I'll read more into it when I get the time. Thanks for the very detailed review!

I haven't owned a high-quality earphone before, but I'll put these in my list to try.

M-Flo - Now or Never (ft. CHEMISTRY) also known as Astrosexy

M-Flo - Miss You (ft. melody. and Ryohei)

Hey you're absolutely welcomed miceblue! And wow, didn't expect that I will find someone who likes m-flo around here as well. I think Taku Takahashi and VERBAL are really talented japanese artists IMO, as they are definitely one of my favs along-side japanese R&B/hip hop groups like CHEMISTRY as well, since I have been listening to them for almost close to a decade now. :D

I have also pretty much adored groups with a rockish-pop style, so some japanese boyband groups like KAT-TUN have always attracted me with their rockish tunes and nice dance choreography in their songs, so I thought I will spread some love here as well. :D

KAT-TUN - No More Pain

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJkAMvEOug[/VIDEO]

KAT-TUN - Ultimate Wheels (it's also the theme song for Suzuki's Solio R MPV rides only sold in Japan)

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIQwnC-l_SU[/VIDEO]

KAT-TUN - Run For You

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pER00w8x7OQ[/VIDEO]

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #589 of 2,994
Spreading some miwa and EXILE love here as well. Just discovered miwa back in 2010 last year after listening to her "Change" single, and have been hooked to her vocals ever since. As for EXILE, been listening to them for a few good years now, they are very very big in Japan now almost on the same level popularity as female girl group AKB48.

miwa - Don't Cry Anymore Live

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36r4gTen3Ec[/VIDEO]

EXILE - Itsuka Kitto...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4IoY3I1wJo[/VIDEO]

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #592 of 2,994
I've yet to hear well-recorded Korean songs (the majority of my tens-of-thousands of songs), but it seems like CUBE entertainment does a better job than most, somewhat. Need to get the 320kbps+ version to really know.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #593 of 2,994
I'm still addicted to m-flo - miss you 
biggrin.gif

I still occasionally listen to mika nakashima, Do As Infinity, and Utada Hikaru every now and then. 

Been listening to Kotaro Oshio and Depapape a bit more however

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #596 of 2,994
Well, I read through about 10 pages of this thread and saw absolutely nothing that I listen to, so I thought I'd sign up (just so I could post for this) and coat your ears in my favourite Japanese music.
Some of my all time favourites with a few videos.  I really suggest you check out the rest too.

3nd

9mm Parabellum Bullet

Afrirampo
avengers in sci-fi
Boris (if that counts considering how much more popular they are in the states) (best concert I've ever been to)
Coaltar of the deepers
De De Mouse
downy

Eksperimentoj
Kimonos
LITE (see them live if you get the chance)

Mouse on the Keys
Ogre You *******
Rejuvinated Half-Face
Rin To****e Shigure
rururu
sonsojubai
Sgt.
SuiseiNoboAz
Te

The Pillows
Zazen Boys

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #597 of 2,994

Quote:
Well, I read through about 10 pages of this thread and saw absolutely nothing that I listen to, so I thought I'd sign up (just so I could post for this) and coat your ears in my favourite Japanese music.
Some of my all time favourites with a few videos.  I really suggest you check out the rest too.

Wow, I had no idea there's a thriving prog-rock scene in Japan. What a surprise! Awesome suggestions! I searched all the other bands you listed too and listened to all of them, but I couldn't find sonsojubai though.

It seems you are really into post rock, art rock, and prog-rock, and while I do like those genres, I tend to prefer the western counterparts. I'm not sure why. I think the Japanese ones tend to try to sound different for the sake of novelty, but the underlying flow and sensibility is a bit strained to my ears. Even when they sound like they are influenced by notable western bands (such as the obvious King Crimson and Trey Gunn influences), there's something missing. Perhaps it's a cultural thing. There has never been a single Asian experimental/artsy/prog band that I really liked (except Yellow Magic Orchestra), but in other genres of music, there are plenty. I think Asians are at their best when they combine intelligent artsyness with pop, instead of going straight for the really cerebral stuff.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #598 of 2,994

Quote:

I couldn't find sonsojubai though.

It seems you are really into post rock, art rock, and prog-rock, and while I do like those genres, I tend to prefer the western counterparts.

http://www.myspace.com/sansojubai
There is sansojubai for ya.  That's two songs from the three on the only album which I know they did.

I really am into those scenes heavily, but I prefer Japanese bands in that area most of the time.  A lot of purely post rock western bands just bore me, but there are a few stand outs like Isis.  Also, some of those bands are considered math rock and I tend to lean in the less hardcore direction with stuff like Tera Melos as far as western bands go.

For that set of bands I listed, I really had to dig over several years to find them and find their material.  A few years back, it was much more difficult to find in downloadable or purchasable form, but places like CD Japan, Yes Asia, Hear Japan, and I know Itunes Japan has some of that stuff.  I'm glad to share bands that no one seems to know about.  These guys are usually playing in the smaller clubs around Japan and never come to America to tour unfortunately.  They all seem to be overshadowed by much more popular, more "J-rock"ish stuff.  Also, I can thank http://www.zbsatozofjmusic.com/ but he doesn't update the site anymore.  When Bentz was doing the weekly Japantor Radio, I was hugely exposed to a good variety of japanese music.  I think you can still download the older shows, and boy is there a lot of them.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #599 of 2,994
Though Canto-pop isn't very favorable here, I enjoy these songs (no, I don't speak Cantonese):

吴雨霏 - 山歌 (ft. 侧田)  - Kary Ng - Folk Song (ft. Justin Lo)

吳雨霏 - 台北四天三夜  - Kary Ng - Four Days and Three Nights in Taipei

Quote:

3nd
9mm Parabellum Bullet
Afrirampo
avengers in sci-fi
Boris (if that counts considering how much more popular they are in the states) (best concert I've ever been to)
Coaltar of the deepers
De De Mouse
downy
Eksperimentoj
Kimonos
LITE (see them live if you get the chance)
Mouse on the Keys
Ogre You *******
Rejuvinated Half-Face
Rin To****e Shigure
rururu
sonsojubai
Sgt.
SuiseiNoboAz
Te
The Pillows
Zazen Boys

That was an amazing list of artists you put together. I'll have to look more into them (I do like the Pillows)!
L3000.gif
  Thank you!

Some of The Pillows' more well-known songs:

The Pillows - Hybrid Rainbow

The Pillows - Little Busters

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #600 of 2,994

Quote:
That was an amazing list of artists you put together. I'll have to look more into them (I do like the Pillows)!
L3000.gif
  Thank you!

Thanks!

The Pillows are very awesome and have a large collection of music to listen to.  Those that you listed are from some of the FLCL soundtracks, but they are also scattered through their other records.  Also, check out The Predators if you can find them.  It's the lead singer's side project that sounds much more like the stuff they did for FLCL than the rest of The Pillow's material.

Edit: Well, it looks like they censored some of the artists I listed...
That would be Ogre You As_shole (I tried :D) (without the "_") and Rin Tosh_ite Shigure (and this without the "_" of course).  I'll give you some videos:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back