Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jul 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #181 of 2,994
Adding some diversity to the K/Jpop heavy thread with some Thai pop!

This song was on the radio a lot when I was there earlier in the year. The singer reminds me of an Asian Robert Smith so I'll support them just for that.
tongue.gif

I had a sort of What moment when I was in a taxi cab and this song came on. I was sooo not expecting the traditional music! It's cool though, and I like that it's bringing more Thai kids to appreciate their own culture.

Also, one of the guys in 2PM is actually, Thai. And half of HOT went to my rival HS back in the day (I was more of a sechskies gal myself, lol) so it should be more like Asian-American Kpop? It's so crazy how many Asian pop stars are actually born and raised in the good ol' US of A. One girl in my HS left after junior year, moved to Korea, got eyelid surgery, and became a pop star, ha! I wish I could remember her stage name...

Also, the vid of Utada Hikaru First Love took me waaaaaay back. I felt my heart sink a bit in my chest just seeing the title! Love that song....a norebang staple!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #182 of 2,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantirak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And half of HOT went to my rival HS back in the day (I was more of a sechskies gal myself, lol) so it should be more like Asian-American Kpop? It's so crazy how many Asian pop stars are actually born and raised in the good ol' US of A. One girl in my HS left after junior year, moved to Korea, got eyelid surgery, and became a pop star, ha! I wish I could remember her stage name...

I found it interesting as well how many pop stars from Asia are actually American. It's kinda neat that one of the pop stars went to your school. What group is/was she in?

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #183 of 2,994

Quote:
I found it interesting as well how many pop stars from Asia are actually American. It's kinda neat that one of the pop stars went to your school. What group is/was she in?

I think she was a solo act, and I am drawing a total blank on her name, both English and Korean!. I also don't think she got very big since if she did, I would have heard about it. I went to a tiny HS and everyone is all up in everyone else's business, even all these years later.
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #184 of 2,994
Another addition. Not the greatest group out there, but I listen to them occasionally. I love Yuri's voice, but she has pitch problems. Garnet Crow.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #185 of 2,994
Quote:
Another addition. Not the greatest group out there, but I listen to them occasionally. I love Yuri's voice, but she has pitch problems. Garnet Crow.

Oh yea. I'm a GARNET CROW fan here. I have been buying up all their DVDs ever since their second tour. Some people know them only as the band that did "some songs" for Conan (the detective anime) but their music's really so much deeper and sad...

Quote:
Love her. Hope you enjoyed.

I'm a fan of Kan Miyoun too! haha. Anyways, it's really too bad that her "comeback" didn't make much of an impact. Featuring MBLAQ and what not didn't seem to help either... Now she's always grouped with the "has-beens" on TV. :frowning2:

Yoon Eun Hye on the other hand is doing so much better.

Of course, she's not as good a singer as KMY but she's so irresistibly sweet even though she has visibly aged over the years. Here's a teaser of her latest drama:

Okay. I forgot that this thread is supposed to be about music...
Here's YEH actually singing (?):

Not the best live singer but she's so funny (in a good way!).

Before it gets too obvious that I'm obsessed with YEH, I'll just leave it to anyone reading this to look up her dramas/music if the 2 vids actually meant anything. haha

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #186 of 2,994
Another kpop artist I listen to on occasion is Park Ji Yoon. She has a very nice voice, although a little on the breathy side. I used to listen to her albums in full, but really the main attraction was her Adult Ceremony song:

Great beat, great song, great dancing, sexy costumes and poses.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #187 of 2,994
Moving back to Japan for a moment for some pop/rock, a band I discovered a few years ago, but have been recently listening to quite a lot: Day After Tomorrow. Awesome voice, Misono's clarity and intonation is a joy to hear. Here are a few tracks from them including one of the only songs I will ever say I liked that includes a harpsichord (synthesized) in the first example:

There are too many favorites for me to list. Check them out, though.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #188 of 2,994

Quote:
Another kpop artist I listen to on occasion is Park Ji Yoon. She has a very nice voice, although a little on the breathy side. I used to listen to her albums in full, but really the main attraction was her Adult Ceremony song:

I saw this before. It's hot =) I wonder what happened to her. She's not singing anymore it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jN45SQ52A

Here's the link to a previous video I posted but with english subtitles.  Loveholic's rendition of "Wind, Please Stop Blowing."  I just feel Loveholic was meant to sing this song. It's just so perfect fitting. My assumption of what's going on in the video is that  they are on a tape deck that is being rewound and the band is just showing styles from the past. The song "Wind, Please Stop Blowing" was originally made in 1989 and the rendition was part of their album called "Re-wind." I guess it's a Korean nostalgia piece but Loveholic made it sound so modern to me. My heart melts when she says "please stop blowing"
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #189 of 2,994

Quote:

OMG... I just got her 2009 album before she disappeared from the face of the music world. Her music has matured SO much. It's sooooo beautiful

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #190 of 2,994
Used to listen to Jrock before through anime/friends recommendation:
- Asian Kung-Fu Generation
- The GazettE
- X-Japan
I still like The GazettE, but their older albums (NIL, Stacked Rubbish) are still albums I love to listen from time to time. Haven't listened enough to DIM.

Then I also discovered some japanese Hip Hop with Rip Slyme (I guess it could be classified as hip hop). I love the "vibe", can't understand 90% of what they're saying due to my lack of Japanese but I don't mind.

And a friend of mine recently introduced me to (mainstream?) J/KPop: Girls Generation, Miss A, Koda Kumi.
They're pretty nice, I wouldn't rank them on the top of my fave music though, but can't say I dislike it either ^^.

Yes, I don't know that many groups xD.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #191 of 2,994

Quote:
Used to listen to Jrock before through anime/friends recommendation:
- Asian Kung-Fu Generation
- The GazettE
- X-Japan
I still like The GazettE, but their older albums (NIL, Stacked Rubbish) are still albums I love to listen from time to time. Haven't listened enough to DIM.

Then I also discovered some japanese Hip Hop with Rip Slyme (I guess it could be classified as hip hop). I love the "vibe", can't understand 90% of what they're saying due to my lack of Japanese but I don't mind.

And a friend of mine recently introduced me to (mainstream?) J/KPop: Girls Generation, Miss A, Koda Kumi.
They're pretty nice, I wouldn't rank them on the top of my fave music though, but can't say I dislike it either ^^.

Yes, I don't know that many groups xD.

Wo00000000000 Miss A!!!

You don’t know me, you don’t know me
You don’t know me, you don’t know me
So shut up boy, so shut up boy
So shut up boy, so shut up, shut up

앞에선 한마디도 못하더니
뒤에선 내 얘길 안 좋게 해 어이가 없어
Hello, hello, hello, 나 같은 여잔 처음 으로으로으로
본 것 같은데 왜 나를 판단하니 내가 혹시 두려운 거니

Hooray!

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #192 of 2,994
These are some  Thai songs ,that I like (this year and last year)

Slot Machine

Great cover version from the song above

[size=large]The Richman Toy [/size]

Slur

25 hours

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #194 of 2,994

Quote:
These are some  Thai songs ,that I like (this year and last year)

Slot Machine[size=large] [/size]

Oh nice! I've only heard of them recently but I know they've been around for a while. Really digging them and 25th hour among others. If you have any good recs, keep 'em coming!

Why don't Thai bands have Thai names anymore? Everyone adopts English names now: Da, No More Tear, Bodyslam, Slur, 25th hour, Mousses, Clash, Retrospect, Pancake, Sweet Mullet, Calories, Fukkling Heroes, Buddha Bless, the list goes on...seems like only AF/The Star people stick with Thai names anymore, and it's b/c they have to, lol.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #195 of 2,994
It's been just like this since longer,Thai bands always take the english name.

Thai mainstream songs sound somehow remotely the same,if you're in Thailand and wanna find some good songs ,you have to listen the Indy radio.
About Slot machine,actually I didn't know much about them,cuz I used to think ,they're just an ordinary band with some so so pop songs,but after I accidentally saw their concert in Pattaya,wowwww they performed a great Live,after that (just 2 months :p ) I've been hunting for their albums ( they really did make some good records).

Like in  many countries in South East Asia,Thai teens seem to enjoy Korea culture  (or K-Pop).Actually they are many good Thai bands ,but the Record Companies always want to repeat an old formular and better take something hip from Korea or Japan more than to try another direction,    well enough said. I surly will post some good Thai songs soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back