Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #136 of 2,994
Too much Korean and Japanese stuff!

Here's Gemini, an underground Chinese rock band

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #138 of 2,994
HELL YEAH ! Cha la- head cha la~~!

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #139 of 2,994
Utada Hikaru.  I was introduced to by a friend way back.  I really liked her slight shaky voice, and of course her looks.
tongue.gif
  I like this kinda Japanese music.  Her MVs are very interesting to watch.  Is this old school?  Is this what you would call JPOP? 

Notice, she has on edition 9 on the vid.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #141 of 2,994
Quote:
Utada Hikaru.  I was introduced to by a friend way back.  I really liked her slight shaky voice, and of course her looks.
tongue.gif
  I like this kinda Japanese music.  Her MVs are very interesting to watch.  Is this old school?  Is this what you would call JPOP? 

Notice, she has on edition 9 on the vid.

Utada's retired! Well, kind of. So I guess she's old school. You should know her English song "Baby Come Back To Me" that was hella popular for awhile and I'll admit it was really catchy. It's the Ultrasone 8 on her desk. She makes me want to buy it.

Anyways, I've been really enjoying one CD by Lim Jeong Hee. I forgot how to read Hangul so I can just say it's really good but can't say the title
tongue.gif

Here's F.I.R. "Our Love"

讓愛重生

"Fly Away"  something happier that is an oldy but goody

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #142 of 2,994
Maybe people are reading too much into the lyrics.  If it is in fact a poke fun at another artist because of possible plagerism, maybe it is warranted.  I don't know.  But if it is out of bitterness for personal attack, and the lyrics are derived from that, it's pretty much garbage IMO.  I really do not like music with political message because I try to avoid drama when listening to music.  To me music is what lifts my mood, and it is a form of art that entertains me and pleases me in some sort of way.  Not try to educate me, I have college books for that.

Quote:

What's there to be bitter about? Seems more like a joke. I don't want to compare who's more immature but ripping off music deserves to be trashed IMO You should also be allowed to express anything in music. Music shouldn't just be love love love.

Anyway, here is Seoteiji and boys.  According to many Koreans, he brought the American music culture to Korean mainstream, and everything exploded from there.  I think he might be partially responsible for planting the hip-hop seed to Korean music.  Top one is his debut, and you can see from the atmosphere where he is presenting what the state of Korean music was back then.  The next two are the music with the political message.  It was revolutionary for Korea at the time because teens didn't have an icon that could empathize with their hardships.  We all know how the Asian educational system is, and what kind of society Asian kids grow up in.  I am critisizing Asian culture based on my experience of American education system(it's not perfect either).  It is right or wrong for me to do so.  It is not right because I am trying to Westernize a distinct culture, but at the same time I feel that education system is not up to par.  Tablo critisizing Korean culture without upbringing IMO is not as effective as Seo taiji upbringing.  Seo Taiji lived at the times where a change in culture was needed, and people were willing to listen.  As a result music culture changed.  One of the Seo Taiji and the boys is YG, the CEO of Big Bang.  

Sorry for the history lesson.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #143 of 2,994
I personally don't find the Chinese language to be lyrical at all so I can't get into Chinese music with vocals, but that's just my personal preference. Not racist or anything, just doesn't move me.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #144 of 2,994
^^^ my case is even worse.. i grown up surrounded by chinese/cantonese pops and old songs, but i never into those so far, my music journey start from game ost instead ==a

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #145 of 2,994
Quote:
Maybe people are reading too much into the lyrics.  If it is in fact a poke fun at another artist because of possible plagerism, maybe it is warranted.  I don't know.  But if it is out of bitterness for personal attack, and the lyrics are derived from that, it's pretty much garbage IMO.  I really do not like music with political message because I try to avoid drama when listening to music.  To me music is what lifts my mood, and it is a form of art that entertains me and pleases me in some sort of way.  Not try to educate me, I have college books for that.

Anyway, here is Seoteiji and boys.  According to many Koreans, he brought the American music culture to Korean mainstream, and everything exploded from there.  I think he might be partially responsible for planting the hip-hop seed to Korean music.  Top one is his debut, and you can see from the atmosphere where he is presenting what the state of Korean music was back then.  The next two are the music with the political message.  It was revolutionary for Korea at the time because teens didn't have an icon that could empathize with their hardships.  We all know how the Asian educational system is, and what kind of society Asian kids grow up in.  I am critisizing Asian culture based on my experience of American education system(it's not perfect either).  It is right or wrong for me to do so.  It is not right because I am trying to Westernize a distinct culture, but at the same time I feel that education system is not up to par.  Tablo critisizing Korean culture without upbringing IMO is not as effective as Seo taiji upbringing.  Seo Taiji lived at the times where a change in culture was needed, and people were willing to listen.  As a result music culture changed.  One of the Seo Taiji and the boys is YG, the CEO of Big Bang.  

Sorry for the history lesson.

No problem. I have a difference in opinion about hiphop. I think proper hiphop should be educational much like African American jazz music back in the days. Hip hop and jazz was created with the intention to share social or personal experiences/ideas with others and in turn make music a bonding experience. I only really see Epik High doing that while most pop music tend to be forgettable. Stuff like Big Bang will only be remembered for their catchy tunes and I'll find that stuff interesting for a short time but just becomes nothing after awhile. And for those that don't live in Korea, music is a way to understand the culture and issues of the country in a more direct emotional way than reading the news.

BTW, that guy's got a sweet guitar in the second vid =P It's the Ibanez RG760. I had it for a month and the freaking neck snapped. Legendary sound and playability though.

Anyways, here's Epik High's "Run"

Quote:
I personally don't find the Chinese language to be lyrical at all so I can't get into Chinese music with vocals, but that's just my personal preference. Not racist or anything, just doesn't move me.

Yea, Chinese is a difficult language to make lyrical, especially Cantonese. I like some songs though, like GEM's "Where did you go?" When I was in a band, we did revisions of Korean music in Chinese, but never in Cantonese. Mandarin is just much easier to make sound better since Cantonese is such a pitch emphasized language, but even then, Mandarin is a masculine sounding language.

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #146 of 2,994
Wind016: I am a new fan of Mighty Mouth. They look like they would be fun to hang with and don't take themselves too seriously.  If it gets too serious I just develop the feeling that they are frontin' like they are from Compton (pants on the ground and yer hat turned 'round). 
I also like the girl groups. I think the one is Girl's Generation. I agree many of the performers appear to be very expressive.  I keep thinking they might make a go of it in cinema.
And Navi, pretty girl and pretty voice.
What I have discovered from this thread is that, for me, the visual is important.  I like the dancing, facial expressions, and just how well the thing is choreographed and put together.
GEM's "Where did you go?" is a nice video, just needs some more lryics and needs ti fill up the Youtube window. I actually liked listening to the Cantonese. (it was Cantonese and not Mandarin, wasn' it?)

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #147 of 2,994
I just recently got into Korean pop, Japanese pop, etc. So far I really enjoy Girls' Generation, Girl's Day, and 4minute. Anywho, I'll post a bunch of songs from stuff I enjoy, pop or not. Been into metal from Asian countries for a very long time though. Same for metal in general.

Here's Loudness with some great heavy metal.

Versailles with a little bit of neoclassical-tinged power metal.

Couldn't get this out of my head for weeks.

Another one that sticks in my head.

I really like Aya Kamiki. She's from Japan.

I had wanted to post a Nana Mizuki song called "High-Stepper" but it's no where to be found on Youtube. Look it up. Fun J-pop.

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #148 of 2,994
Quote:
Wind016: I am a new fan of Mighty Mouth. They look like they would be fun to hang with and don't take themselves too seriously.  If it gets too serious I just develop the feeling that they are frontin' like they are from Compton (pants on the ground and yer hat turned 'round). 
I also like the girl groups. I think the one is Girl's Generation. I agree many of the performers appear to be very expressive.  I keep thinking they might make a go of it in cinema.
And Navi, pretty girl and pretty voice.
What I have discovered from this thread is that, for me, the visual is important.  I like the dancing, facial expressions, and just how well the thing is choreographed and put together.

I understand. A lot of the music I listen to personally would be buzz kills if I were to listen with my friends drunk or when just chilling. I take it for what it is though. I have a slight preference towards introvertive music but both types of music have their time and place. What do you guys think? I find most Asian music to be heavy ballads or extremely pop and cute. Neither of which is what I prefer, but that's mostly what it is. Especially in Hong Kong, I hear nothing but ballads and old sounding pop.

On a side note, I personally find Hong Kong to be out of date. They went from leading Asian entertainment to seriously lacking any sort of competitive appeal compared to the other countries.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #150 of 2,994
Aya is a true rocker. Her company needs to stop making her to cheesy pop! At least that how I feel.

Quote:
Ah, forgot to post Aya's cover of "Smoke on the Water." Her vocals might be a bit slurred, but it really shows that she is a great vocalist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back