Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jul 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #106 of 2,994

Quote:
rolleyes.gif
  Just because something is weird or not mainstream doesn't mean it is enjoyable music.  I like some indy music because I enjoy them, and same for KPOP, I enjoy the performance, the beats, the choreography, and how much went into creating the music videos.  It's not crap because it's pop.  There is a lot that goes into pop-dance genre.  You just happen to dislike it.

I never said I didn't like pop. I think almost every artist I posted is considered pop to an extent. I said I just prefer to hear some more good artists that aren't considered in the full on "pop and dance" genre because quite frankly, I have trouble finding those other artists.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #107 of 2,994

Quote:
Just because they don't make their own music, doesn't mean their performance is bad or less than artists that do.  The way I think about it is like a movie production. Split what people do best to their roles, and you can have a great end product.  I think Korean music industry is testament to that.  The performer has the looks, the dance and singing or rapping skills.  The writer has the lyrical skills from years of experience and know what the fans want.  The music engineer knows sound.  This formula does not work all the time, but it works in KPOP industry. If you listen to more modern KPOP, you'll notice the higher quality recording because the sounds artist know what to do well.

Those are completely unnecessary to me... ==a

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #109 of 2,994
I personally enjoy KPOP, and notice it's uniqueness in a good way.  Yes, there are korean indy rock bands, but to me they all seam very pretentous, not original to the culture.  I feel that modern KPOP is result of what they have absorbed from American music and came up with something of their own.  I can say Japanese music is very unoriginal because it is trying to be what it is not.  I'm talking about Japanese rock.  To me KPOP fits korean music, and therefore it seams original.  Its definately not POP like American pop music, it has it's own flavor.  Same with the style, there is no more of the baggy pants and long bangs, or the same Euro hair styling anymore.  I like the direction it is going.  I think it's KPOP's originality that is influencing Asia.  Typicially true orginality influences.  You know then something is truely original.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #114 of 2,994

Quote:
I personally enjoy KPOP, and notice it's uniqueness in a good way.  Yes, there are korean indy rock bands, but to me they all seam very pretentous, not original to the culture.  I feel that modern KPOP is result of what they have absorbed from American music and came up with something of their own.  I can say Japanese music is very unoriginal because it is trying to be what it is not.  I'm talking about Japanese rock.  To me KPOP fits korean music, and therefore it seams original.  Its definately not POP like American pop music, it has it's own flavor.  Same with the style, there is no more of the baggy pants and long bangs, or the same Euro hair styling anymore.  I like the direction it is going.  I think it's KPOP's originality that is influencing Asia.  Typicially true orginality influences.  You know then something is truely original.

I don't think you can say how Japanese music is trying to be what they're not. At least I definitely do not see that in the artists I listen to. All their music seems pretty Japanese to me. Japanese youth has a rebellious, "break the mold" type of mentality and much of their music certainly shows it, but a lot is still mainstream pop of course.

Anyways, here's Olivia Ong, a Singaporean singer that started in a Japan girl group and now making her name throughout Asia.

Song starts at 1:00

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #116 of 2,994
X-Japan, Endless Rain.  This is what Japanese music is all about.  It has originality to it, and it is not because of the metal influence.  It has it's distinct Asian music feel to it.  

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #118 of 2,994

Quote:
wind,
Can you recommend one CD each from both of those artists?

Two of my most listened to CDs are Tanya Chua's 'If You See Him" or "若你碰到他"

and Olivia Ong's "A Girl Meet Bossa Nova 2"     Also good is her self titled album "Olivia"

For the heck of it, the hottest singers EVER
Lee Hyori

Kamiki Aya

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #119 of 2,994
     Quote:
X-Japan, Endless Rain.  This is what Japanese music is all about.  It has originality to it, and it is not because of the metal influence.  It has it's distinct Asian music feel to it.  

YES. Great song. I was getting really depressed over all this. Its isn't right to make people feel bad for liking something. This song cleared that right up. This fight was stupid.

L'arc-en-Ciel. This band has been through everything. Despite being a pop rock they were taking serious drugs in the 90's ending with there drummer Sakura getting charged with Heroin possession; within 48 hours all merchandise was literally off the shelf and they were disbanded for years. Although they've been quite hyped among the Japanophiles it doesn't change the fact that there a very consistent band sound wise. Among the many j-rock band its easy to recognize a song of there's. No one quite sounds like Hyde among the countless j-rock bands.

White Feathers, from only a year after there debut.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #120 of 2,994

Quote:
Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby.

STILL STUCK IN MY HEAD, HELP.

I LOVE Younha's version of it

No other song got stuck in my head as long as  Wondergirl's "Nobody"    ugh.... I even start clapping to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back