Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jul 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #121 of 2,994
I think Korean music is more accepting of hip-hop and R&B because korean music is not only expressive vocally but also visually, facial expressions.  Korean music has absorbed R&B because of it's expressive nature, and rap because of the lyrical expressiveness.  Koreans are generally expressive people by nature.  KPOP seams to have alot of facial, body, and vocal expressions.  To me Japanese artists do not have much expression when singing.  I'm not saying it's bad, but just pointing out subtle differences that I notice.

Instead of Epik High, I like Mighty Mouth's flavor.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #122 of 2,994

Quote:
I think Korean music is more accepting of hip-hop and R&B because korean music is not only expressive vocally but also visually, facial expressions.  Korean music has absorbed R&B because of it's expressive nature, and rap because of the lyrical expressiveness.  Koreans are generally expressive people by nature.  KPOP seams to have alot of facial, body, and vocal expressions.  To me Japanese artists do not have much expression when singing.  I'm not saying it's bad, but just pointing out subtle differences that I notice.

Instead of Epik High, I like Mighty Mouth's flavor.

That's cute LOL I can't see Epik High doing something like that, but Epik High edges towards underground "truthyness" style of hiphop which is what I like about them.
 I have aversion to guys looking cute.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #123 of 2,994
Lim Jeong Hee, pay attention to the sound.  I don't know if it is the recording or her voice.  It sounds wonderful though.  I listen to her over and over again on Hi-Fi system.

This is Navi, her voice is amazingly recorded also.  Just listen, you'll hear what I'm saying.

Seeya.  I just think one chick is cute. 
tongue.gif
  I would be lying if I say visuals do not add to the music.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #124 of 2,994
OOOOooo! I love Lim Jeong Hee's voice! Keep it coming sir! I will find some CDs of her in the meantime.

I don't know what this thread is about, but am I far off in thinking it's like a discussion radio show type thing?

Quote:
Lim Jeong Hee, pay attention to the sound.  I don't know if it is the recording or her voice.  It sounds wonderful though.  I listen to her over and over again on Hi-Fi system.

This is Navi, her voice is amazingly recorded also.  Just listen, you'll hear what I'm saying.

Seeya.  I just think one chick is cute. 
tongue.gif
  I would be lying if I say visuals do not add to the music.

Anyways, here's some more DAI

I'm always looking for bands like them.

english subbed

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #125 of 2,994
Posting DAI without Fukai Mori? How dare you!! :p

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #126 of 2,994
I was going to! I swear! BTW, they have a new single coming out <3

Their songs like Fukai Mori, Under the Moon, Shinjitsu no Uta, and Field of Dreams have left a deep impression on me.

Quote:
Posting DAI without Fukai Mori? How dare you!!
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #128 of 2,994

Quote:
You assume that I have an upbringing "that is lacking in refinement", and then you mentioned that there is a saying that if one had nothing good to say then one might as well not mention it at all. I think we all have our assumptions and opinions. You made an assumption on my upbringing based on my post, and I made an assumption about Kpop based on what I've seen and heard. You said I am demeaning Korean culture under the facade of civility, but are you not demeaning my character under the facade of civility as well? An opinion is an opinion. and the only one who can determine whether or not it is fact is the reader. I never did or intended dictate anything to anybody, I merely stated my opinions, albeit in an insensitive manner which I now intend to apologize for.

And, I do like Younha's songs, which is why I mentioned her. While my post seemed to be demeaning of Korean culture (I understand why), I want to clear it up now and say that it was not my intention. I wanted to say that Korea has lots of talent that its labels should be more keen to promote, regardless of their physical looks. Of course, the Japanese music industry has its share of flaws, but I merely wanted to state that it is more mature in that it simply had more time to develop. I also wished to confine the discussion to music and its industry, since its the Music section of Head-Fi. I would like to state again that I do not intend to construe this as a wider condemnation of Korean culture as I do appreciate many aspects of Korean culture such as food :)

I feel that your point on the inner and outer beauty of media is enlightening and now that we have discussed, I could see things from your view as well. My view is that music should be regarded for its own merits, independent of things such as image and physical beauty. I feel that over-emphasizing the image aspect of music media would unfairly hold back artists that do not meet these standards, despite having great musical talent. I hope we can both appreciate our mutual views on the topic.

I would like to conclude by apologizing for stating my opinions in such an insensitive manner. I wanted to share my views on the kpop scene and the music industry, but in hindsight, my remarks were inappropriate. If anything I would like to see this thread move on, as it had been productive up to this point, and leave this behind us.

Yeah I understand where you're coming from - It's a belief that I share as well, but my pretentious nature doesn't let me act in an objective manner on the subject.

beerchug.gif

This thread sure has taken off since our post. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #129 of 2,994
@wind
You want underground K-rap?  You asked for it.  Epik High worships this guy.  I'm not into this stuff, I'll just listen to American rap before this crap.  It tries too hard to sound similar to American rap.  That's why I don't like it.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #130 of 2,994
Drunken Tiger :p. I used to like them, but then they kind of disappeared and I stopped listening.

On a different note, here is an old song titled Time To Love. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #133 of 2,994

Quote:
@wind
You want underground K-rap?  You asked for it.  Epik High worships this guy.  I'm not into this stuff, I'll just listen to American rap before this crap.  It tries too hard to sound similar to American rap.  That's why I don't like it.

I just listened to them. They aren't my thing either, but I think Epik High probably just respects them as artists. We all know what Epik High feels about Big Bang type of groups. Wannabe is the same beat as G-Dragon's song, totally not Epik High's style of music, and created right after G-Dragon was accused of ripping off songs of other artists and put them all in his album.

When you understand the lyrics, it seems like Epik High are talking trash about G-Dragon.

Got this from a blog
TRANSLATION
credits:BK

Epik High is Back!

This goes out all the trensetters

Get on the dance floor

It looks fresh, but it feels like it has been done before
Singing the same song, lips to nose

When choosing cloths, add some touch to the style
You think u got a swag?
Just imitate-imitate, everyone imitates

No convo without knowing the trendy words
Dress like the Fashion magazine and the TV Shows
Even for the movies i wanted to see, I follow the reviews?
Everyone does it, so fo-fo-follow

DJ come play my song on the radio
Feel that radio oh oh oh
Scream loud, oh, fo-fo-follow that

Wannabe Wannabe
everyone imitates you
Wannabe Wannabe,
everyone imitate me
Wannabe Wannabe,
lead the world
Because we’re so sick

Students still has to follow the rules, fill those answers in
Throw away dignity but listen to the self-pride

Lead the world and make it imitate you
Get up high and make those eyes follow you

It’s like MP3, can’t deny, we all counterfeit each other
One blaming the another and argue but if it’s Hot just imitate

Public is the star; children are mother [to the trends]
Even so we are all a Wannabe
Even when we love we imitate dramas
Now we have to find our own color

Feel that radio oh oh oh
Scream loud, oh, in-in-imitate that

Wannabe Wannabe,
everyone imitates you
Wannabe Wannabe,
everyone imitate me
Wannabe Wannabe,
lead the world
Because we’re so sick

Wannabe you
Wannabe me
Wannabe you
Wannabe me
Wannabe you
Wannabe me
Wannabe you
Wannabe me

Wannabe Wannabe, everyone imitates you
Wannabe Wannabe, everyone imitate me
Wannabe Wannabe, lead the world
My own dream, my own style
I have my color so just worry about yourself

In-in-imitate, let’s all imitate

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #134 of 2,994
IMO, those are not lyrics.  Those are words of a bitter person.   Music lyrics should not be so bitter sounding, or sound like an attack.  It's very immature. Tablo came from Cali, USA.  He does not understand Korean culture.  He thinks what he is doing justice or what ever.  He's trying what Soteji has done before, thinking it's the right thing to do, but I do not think Tablo has the right to do that.    You may think stuff live above is revolutionary, but I have never seen such obvious garbage before.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #135 of 2,994

Quote:
IMO, those are not lyrics.  Those are words of a bitter person.   Music lyrics should not be so bitter sounding, or sound like an attack.  It's very immature. Tablo came from Cali, USA.  He does not understand Korean culture.  You may think stuff live above is revolutionary, but I have never seen such obvious garbage before.

What's there to be bitter about? Seems more like a joke. I don't want to compare who's more immature but ripping off music deserves to be trashed IMO You should also be allowed to express anything in music. Music shouldn't just be love love love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back