Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Dec 20, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,526 of 2,994
I tried Apple music, and don't really like it. It doesn't help me discover indie k-music. All I'm getting is just the mainstream stuff, which I really don't like all that much. The stuff people call K-pop I'm not much into. All the music looks the same to me now a days. Maybe I'm gettin too old for today's kpop.

Dec 22, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #2,527 of 2,994
The new kpop mastering are just terrible! It's bad enough there's a bunch of boy and girl group trash, but the shrill sounding mastering just takes it up a notch. I don't understand why they are trying to emphasize the treble, making the tracks sound clinical. Everything is so artificial about the kpop industry that makes me puke. It's a bunch of garbage.

It's just like the movie instry that's motivated by the Chinese audiences. It just turns into boring bland, nothing new garbage. And the worse thing is, it also sounds like crap due to the mastering.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #2,533 of 2,994
The new kpop mastering are just terrible! It's bad enough there's a bunch of boy and girl group trash, but the shrill sounding mastering just takes it up a notch. I don't understand why they are trying to emphasize the treble, making the tracks sound clinical. Everything is so artificial about the kpop industry that makes me puke. It's a bunch of garbage.

It's just like the movie instry that's motivated by the Chinese audiences. It just turns into boring bland, nothing new garbage. And the worse thing is, it also sounds like crap due to the mastering.

I empathize with your remarks. But there are too many artists I like to simply write the genre off. Finding decent recordings is a challenge though, in almost ever genre of music. And it's especially hard with the idol groups in Kpop. They're one of the unfortunate casualties of the loudness wars. Most of the tracks are so badly loudness compressed that they're almost unlistenable.

An EQ can help with the brightness. But it's not as helpful in dealing with excessive loudness compression.

I listen to the weekly "new songs" compilations on these YT channels btw, rather than the actual charts. So I can hear basically every new video that's released, instead of just the popular ones...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHWfAuT1j7bTLXTIBcY_l6w
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgVrsAGkza0rBjMU90NbdRA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCODDHOManyfRVVQ01b8ybQQ

Finding new songs with decent recordings is still one of the big challenges though.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,534 of 2,994

I've noticed the shrillness in recent masterings too, and it's a bit annoying. But I disagree Kpop is a bunch of garbage. Speaking as a professional composer/songwriter, Kpop is by far the best in the world right now in terms of actual composition, arrangement, and overall polish. The choreography and performances are also second to none. It has become a global phenomenon because it excels musically and visually. 2018 has been an incredible year for K-Pop girl groups, with lots of amazing songs. Last year too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back