"Artificial" Treble? Say What?
Oct 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
What does artificial treble sound like?  I mean all IEM's are a processed sound so other than simply saying "un-natural", not sure I understand?  I hear this thrown out a lot about W3 and how W4 has much better more natural sounding treble.  But to me a heavy softness or veil (the way I hear W4) in the treble is far from natural as well.

ER4 is supposedly king of treble but sounds COMPLETELY different than W4.  So which is more natural?  Does accurate = natural?

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 3
The ER4 and W4s are pretty "natural" compared to the W3s, because the W3s have this sort of improper timbre. For example, I play violin, and when you play a violin recording on the W3s, the "air" I hear lingering after each vibrato sounds metallic as parts of it is accentuated where it shouldn't be, completely different from what I hear when playing. The ER4s might have plenty of treble, but it never does this. The laid-back (veiled, muffled) treble on the W4s aren't exactly accurate, but does not have that offensive and improper timbre.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 3
To me, neither W3 or W4 is fitting to the 'natural' description in an absolute way, but the big reason I prefer W4 over W3 is because W3 sounds too offensive to my ears (same can be say to a few of Final Audio's IEM as well as EX700). If I can't listen to an IEM long enough to enjoy the music, then it is worst than not-having-enough in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back