Article: "Why USB Cables Can Make a Difference"
Aug 26, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #286 of 352
The question was how could a USB cable impact a system... Not how could an expensive cable benefit a system over an inexpensive cable.

I'm still waiting for you to point out a piece of technical information which I stated that is incorrect.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #287 of 352
A ferrite bead is a passive component that filters out high frequencies. Are you worried that it's going to lead to slow rise and fall times or something?

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #288 of 352
A ferrite bead is a passive component that filters out high frequencies. Are you worried that it's going to lead to slow rise and fall times or something?

That is what it does, and that can negatively effect some USB 2.0 cables.  It isn't a worry on my part, it has been measured to be the case with some USB cables.  You will notice few USB 2.0 cables include those built in while they were relatively common with original USB cables.  Also that they tend to be smaller where used on a USB 2.0 cable.  So in some cases perhaps the ferrite might help a bit.  In others it will cause problems.  Adding your own the ferrite is likely to be larger than is optimum and could cause errors where none occur without it.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #289 of 352
Now you're contributing to the discussion instead of attacking my spending choices. Congrats.

It's a good point. Slow rising and falling edges could lead to metastability in the USB receiver and cause bit errors as well. And may well take multiple clock cycles to recover.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #290 of 352
if my music is crippled by noises because I decided to have my micro wave turned on and my amateur radio antenna next to the usb cable, then sure enough I might improve my experience with a massive shielding and something like ferrite bead. that I would personally put on the DAC end of the cable, but why not both, I'm rich I can afford to pay 1$ for 2 ferrite beads ^_^.

now if I do not have any noticeable high frequency noises, adding such stuff ultimately will only mean slowing down the maximum speed of the cable. in most situations, who cares, music streams aren't really that fast in 16/44 PCM. but maybe some DXD stuff might disagree with me? IDK.

problems usually have dedicated solutions for specific circumstances, what is annoying to me is to see people suggesting to apply solutions preemptively for everybody to improve the sound. to me that's just as clever as having a chemotherapy treatment when there is nothing to say that I have a cancer.
a specific cable is relevant if it has significant positive impact in normal usage compared to an average but correct cable. that it can improve greatly the sound in a dysfunctional situation is but an anecdote, not a reason for everybody to worry about USB cables.

if you could do something about the "sent from my ...." I would appreciate. I admittedly laughed the first 3 times, but now it's just added noise on the forum
wink_face.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #291 of 352
Well I heard the difference on different Headphone-cables. It makes me a bit open-minded about this. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #292 of 352
  Well I heard the difference on different Headphone-cables. It makes me a bit open-minded about this. 

analog streaming requirements ≠ digital streaming requirements.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #293 of 352
  if my music is crippled by noises because I decided to have my micro wave turned on and my amateur radio antenna next to the usb cable, then sure enough I might improve my experience with a massive shielding and something like ferrite bead. that I would personally put on the DAC end of the cable, but why not both, I'm rich I can afford to pay 1$ for 2 ferrite beads ^_^.

EXCUSE ME, but we're supposed to be talking about getting costs down, not such massive extravagant spending!!!!one

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #295 of 352

I've used three different USB cables with my DAC.  All three sound different.  At this moment, I don't know why.  

Exactly. Yet you could ask yourself if it's worth to spend so much money on cables. For me personally, I think it is worth it. Besides I ordered my DHC-cables (headphone + rca). Now I decided to buy the USB A>B ones as well. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #296 of 352
analog streaming requirements ≠ digital streaming requirements.

Excuse me for chiming in....I am a DIY and I have witness enough cases where Digital cables do make the differences. The science behind it ? No body know :D

My theory is that the processed digital is a continuous stream of signals that contains it own power and current, so the conductivity and the way a conductor is conducting will affect it travel and quality

I can say that digital cables is even more important than analog cables (aka headphones cables)

Below are my 2 versions of upgraded Digital USB cables (silver and Silver/gold). Yes, they have different sonic quality

I am not here to debate or explain the science behind it, I don't know...all I know is that it does affect the sound and sonic performance, and it is even more important Than headphones cables, period.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #297 of 352
Excuse me for chiming in....I am a DIY and I have witness enough cases where Digital cables do make the differences. The science behind it ? No body know
biggrin.gif

My theory is that the processed digital is a continuous stream of signals that contains it own power and current, so the conductivity and the way a conductor is conducting will affect it travel and quality

I can say that digital cables is even more important than analog cables (aka headphones cables)

Below are my 2 versions of upgraded Digital USB cables (silver and Silver/gold). Yes, they have different sonic quality

I am not here to debate or explain the science behind it, I don't know...all I know is that it does affect the sound and sonic performance, and it is even more important Than headphones cables, period.

Do you make double blind tests?

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #298 of 352
Blind test is meant to confuse people, and when the differences are there but slightly, you will be confused. Similar to magic tricks, kids think it is magic, and grown up know it is tricks. However, both will be excited when shown.

If you want to know the tricks, you need to know exactly how and why with open mind and eyes, and what to look for.

So in a sense, I don't recommend blind test in this case. I do recommend opened mind, experiences, and adequate listening or opportunity to test different cables before judging, period.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #299 of 352
Blind test is meant to confuse people, and when the differences are there but slightly, you will be confused. Similar to magic tricks, kids think it is magic, and grown up know it is tricks. However, both will be excited when shown.

If you want to know the tricks, you need to know exactly how and why with open mind and eyes, and what to look for.

So in a sense, I don't recommend blind test in this case. I do recommend opened mind, experiences, and adequate listening or opportunity to test different cables before judging, period.

I'm sorry, but I trust more in a blind test well executed than in any other thing you said.

I know how much we are influenced to think that something is better, expectations are decisive factors in this case.

In fact what can confuse our views are beautiful cables, made of silver etc. I listen with my ears, and a well-executed blind test (you can test with 20 seconds each song, then 1 minute etc. to see if arrives at a conclusion about which sound is better, never forget to adjust the volume etc) can be enlightening.

You can save a lot of money and hours of DIY.

Sorry if I sound arrogant, really, that's not my intention. I never heard a "high quality" USB cable to compare with a common. I'm just guessing that before we draw conclusions, try to isolate factors such as expectations, beauty, etc., as they often influence the results.

And sorry for my bad english.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #300 of 352

you demonstrate a change with measurements, not with empty claims.  and if you want to make clear that the changes measured are really audible to you, then you may wish to prove it statistically in a blind test.
this is the sound science section not an episode of Ancient Aliens, please avoid absolutely ludicrous statements while demonstrating nothing like you just did in this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back