ART DI/O: whats it used for?
Apr 27, 2002 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
I don't know what this is used for. Something about external dac or something. Help a newbie out? :p

Biggie.

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 20
The ART-DIO is a good DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and it also works as a ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). It costs around $150 w/o mods and IC's (w/ mods, like the Bolder Cable mod, and IC's, the price is quite a bit higher) and is a much more economical, and a smarter choice for those who don't want to spend $1000+ on a DAC. In layman's terms, a DAC like the DIO just makes the digital sound of CD's less 'digital' sounding and in turn makes it sound more like analog (like vinyl). The ART-DIO also has a warmth adjuster knowb that allows you to change the warmth of the tube in the DIO, which can make the sound warmer and even less digital-sounding. Hope that helps a bit.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 20
Erm, that's not completely right, Quality Guru... what you describe is more like a Corda Analoguer...

Most media today is stored digitally, in 1s and 0s, like on a CD. Our ears listen in an infinite amount of different analog waves, not two different phases - digital, so this digital information needs to be converted into analog form so we can understand what the music is... That's what a DAC does, converts digital signals into analog ones.

Now there are different qualities of DACs, and the ART DI/O has a uniquely good digital/analog conversion algorithm and analog stage for its relatively dirt cheap price, thus it is hyped.

As for the tube, it is only used when you are converting analog signals into digital, not the other way... so unless you do some looping and get 2 DACs, you cannot use the tube for playing music (it's used for recording).

Apr 27, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 20
Oops. Well, I suppose it is the quality differences between DAC's that motivate people to upgrade to better DAC's like the DIO. I knew that a DAC was a necessary thing, but I'm pretty sure that better DAC's DO make the sound less digitalized (as in not harsh or edgy) sounding, not just a Corda Analoguer can do that; I was under the impression that one of the reasons that people upgraded DAC's was so that they could have less 'digitalized' sound. Actually, though, another reason for upgrading a DAC would probably be to have a DAC that has a better method for digital-analog conversion. Thanks for helping me out on my definition of a DAC, though, Chych.

Apr 27, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 20
That depends on how closely the clocks in the DI/O and whatever transport you use match up. If they're pretty close, then 88.2 will usually sound better, otherwise external synch will usually sound better. Only way to know is to try both.

Apr 28, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 20
So you hook the di/o up to a digital out source and then you hook your amp into the di/o? Can someone point me to pictures to what this looks like?
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Apr 28, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 20
Mine looks like this:

Pioneer DV-341 via Optical coax ----> ART D/IO
ART D/IO via interconnects to ----> Grado RA-1
Grado RA-1 ----> Ety ER6s or whatever...

I'm loving it. And, other than the tube removal brain cramp I had earlier today, life is good.

Try it you'll like it.

Apr 28, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 20
Well unfortunately as a college student my budget isn't what I would like it to be. What you see in my signature is what I own. :p
Does the di/o need a power source? And what will it do if your cd player is very good quality already?

Biggie.

Apr 28, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Well unfortunately as a college student my budget isn't what I would like it to be. What you see in my signature is what I own. :p
Does the di/o need a power source? And what will it do if your cd player is very good quality already?

Biggie.

Ahhh, yes I remember those days well...and believe it, in retrospect, even fondly. The D/IO comes with an AC plug - but it's usually replaced as a 'mod.' I'll let the pros speak on what it does if your cd player is already good quality. More than likely, a box that has a sole purpose of converting signals does it better than what's commonly used in most CD players.

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 20
Your system is already very decent! An ART DI/O would improve the sound, but for the money you might find that another pair of headphones might make more of a difference for you. The problem with the ART DI/O is that it seems cheap but there are a lot of additional costs that quickly add up (new power supply, attenuator cables or output level mod so that it isn't too loud, etc.). If you're a college student and live with noisy roomates or spend a lot of time in noisy labs, a pair of Etymotic ER-6 might change your life. An ART DI/O probably won't.

Apr 29, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 20
There are a couple of pics of the DI/O in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=10369
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the link, but I can't figure out where the two art di/o are.
redface.gif

I was never good at those "wheres waldo" books lol.

MiranadaX, thanks for the comments. I enjoy my headphones a lot so I wouldn't think of replacing them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I don't enjoy sticking things in my ears (or eyes for that matter) so I ruled out the Etymotic back when I bought the beyers. Of course back then, I didn't know about headphone amps hehe.

Biggie.

Apr 29, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 20
well Quality Guru, you are kinda correct in saying that a DAC makes things less digital sounding because before the DAC the signal is digital and not going to sound like anything... after the DAC the signal is analog...

but the DAC just converts a digital signal into an analog signal, nothing more, nothing less.

Driftwood

Apr 29, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Thanks for the link, but I can't figure out where the two art di/o are.
redface.gif

Look for small black boxes, rounded sides, with DI/O on the top in large white letters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back