ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Jun 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #196 of 531
Sounds like you like the DAC.  Cool!  Mine went back for warranty replacement, but the distributor is backordered on the black cases, so it'll be probably another 2 weeks or more for mine to come in.  Not the end of the world, since I still have a DACmini and my Assemblage...and not a whole lot of time to listen to anything. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #197 of 531
Got my Rega DAC last tuesday finally and absolutely love it. I left it on this week 24hrs. a day and it sounds different every day. But i can't believe the sound i'm getting now out of my Sqeezebox Touch. I think my cd-player had his best days behind him. I also bought the Pangea C-5 adapter so i can use my Furutech cables. My speakers are of Xanadu (a dutch builder) and have a transparent character so it works real fine with the analog sound of the Rega. I made the decission to go for the Rega because of you're experiences, so i want to thank you all !

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #198 of 531
Hey could any mac user let me know the performance of this DAC via toslink input vs USB input?

Edit: Nevermind. I have purchased EE MM. =)

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #199 of 531
Warranty replacement arrived a few days ago.  Burning in again.  At least there's no popping sounds like the last unit, and the folks at the store were able to recreate the problem, so I'm not going crazy.  Well, at least if you were to judge from that one thing.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #200 of 531
Hello all.

Been looking for a DAC to progress from my Dacmagic and the Rega has really caught my interest.

I've been looking at the Audio_gd NFB 2 or 3.  Aftercare sale is a big stumbling block for me.  Shipping back to China if anything is wrong is a big no no for me.

I'm wondering is anyone thinks that Rega will come out with a version with Async USB at some point in the future??

Also, does anyone use the Rega with a V-link or Hiface USB/SPDIF converter?

Cheers.

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #201 of 531
I doubt it; Rega, contrary to Audio-GD, does only update its products if they feel they really have to.
I do not use a SPDIF/USB converter, instead I use the Squeezebox Touch; works great and you get a screen. Can be connected to a PC through Ethernet, or wireless.

FWIW: I used to own the Audio-GD REF5 DSP and while this was a good DAC, I find the Rega DAC is far better, more musical, more engaging, better bass, better soundstage. Of course tastes and system differ.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #202 of 531

Quote:

Also, does anyone use the Rega with a V-link or Hiface USB/SPDIF converter?

I wonder if the Halide bridge would be a better device for this application, actually. Ashamed to say, but I wasn't that all impressed with the Hiface when I heard it.

(Or at a similar price bracket to the Hiface and V-link, you might want to consider the Kingrex UC192 too.)

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #203 of 531
Try MHDT USBridge.

If you can stretch your budget a little, get Jkenny MKIII, Stello U3 or Audiophilleo =)

Hiface, V-link and Kingrex converters just ain't as good.

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #204 of 531

Quote:
I doubt it; Rega, contrary to Audio-GD, does only update its products if they feel they really have to.
I do not use a SPDIF/USB converter, instead I use the Squeezebox Touch; works great and you get a screen. Can be connected to a PC through Ethernet, or wireless.

FWIW: I used to own the Audio-GD REF5 DSP and while this was a good DAC, I find the Rega DAC is far better, more musical, more engaging, better bass, better soundstage. Of course tastes and system differ.

I'm using a Mac Mini with optical out.  Its pretty good but I'd like to take it too the next level if I got the Rega and use a usb converter.

Quote:
I wonder if the Halide bridge would be a better device for this application, actually. Ashamed to say, but I wasn't that all impressed with the Hiface when I heard it.

(Or at a similar price bracket to the Hiface and V-link, you might want to consider the Kingrex UC192 too.)

Yes I've heard that too about the HiFace.  I would never buy a hifiace, I've heard they mess with the sound in a bad way. 

Quote:
Try MHDT USBridge.

If you can stretch your budget a little, get Jkenny MKIII, Stello U3 or Audiophilleo =)

Hiface, V-link and Kingrex converters just ain't as good.

Yes that is what I've always thought.  The V-link and HiFace are nice on your wallet but not nice in the performance stakes.  I will definitelty check out those converters.

The MHDT USBridge looks interesting.  Any reviews or forum chatter yet?

Now to something even more important - Silver or Black color??  Whats best?? :)

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #205 of 531
Original text removed because I was wrong.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #209 of 531
That post refers to Eastern Electric DAC, not Rega.

You are completely right, My apologies for the misunderstanding.
I'll edit my post above, to avoid more confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back