ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
May 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #181 of 531
I'm not sure, but I think the DAC would default to the first filter on power up.

With my initial impressions under my belt and your impressions, it'll be interesting to see what I hear when I get my Rega.  Hopefully by this weekend, though the store said it could be as late as Monday.  Bleah.

May 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #182 of 531

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think the DAC would default to the first filter on power up.

With my initial impressions under my belt and your impressions, it'll be interesting to see what I hear when I get my Rega.  Hopefully by this weekend, though the store said it could be as late as Monday.  Bleah.

No, the dac powers up in whatever mode it was left on.

May 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #183 of 531
Too bad this DAC only have a single RCA output... Will have some difficulty connecting to a headamp and an active speaker.

May 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #184 of 531
If you want to spend some money - audioquest rca splitter or the y-splitter cable should do the job. Or just get some cheap off ebay:) Or get your favorite cables custom made y-split
images
images

May 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #186 of 531

Quote:
Interesting.  Even after breaking down the system and removing the power cable?

Well considering the fact that the power switch seems to be a real switch that just disconnects all power, as opposed to a soft switch, I'd say that it is the case.  Actually I think I did unplug it a few times to move around and it always kept the same input and filter selected.

May 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #187 of 531
Another rave review, I'm not the worlds greatestest Whathifi fan, but I think this one is spot- on, have fun!:
http://www.whathifi.com/review/rega-dac

May 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #188 of 531
I'm waiting for HA-160D stock (UK) before making an order. This Rega still gets my attention though.

I could pair the Rega DAC and an M-Stage for less then the HA-160D here in the UK. Tempting!

Anyone compared the two?

Anyone compared to an an Anedio D1 also?

May 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #189 of 531
Never heard a HA-160D, sorry.  Neither it nor the Rega are really all that common out here.

On another note, Rega DAC in the house!  Got it set up through a Pangea IEC to C5 adapter and one of my spare Powerlink cables right now and just listening to the initial sound.  It's hard to really pin how the sound is different than the demo unit I was borrowing, since it's been a little while, but I'm definitely liking much of what I'm hearing right out of the box.

May 24, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #191 of 531
Rega works magic with all their digital players.  

Amen to that; for the last 24 years I owned 10 cd players and 6 dacs that I came to know very well, and only the Apollo and the DAC gave me that long term satisfaction (have to say though, my thirth Rega digital source, the Planet2000 was not bad but still was on the wrong side of that thin line between keeper and will do for now).

May 29, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #193 of 531

Nice review of the Rega DAC.  I've owned the original Rega Planet, and still use the Rega Jupiter in my system.
Quote:
Quote:
Rega works magic with all their digital players.  

Amen to that; for the last 24 years I owned 10 cd players and 6 dacs that I came to know very well, and only the Apollo and the DAC gave me that long term satisfaction (have to say though, my thirth Rega digital source, the Planet2000 was not bad but still was on the wrong side of that thin line between keeper and will do for now).

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #194 of 531
Auditioning a Rega DAC as we speak. Even from a fresh start, it's highly engaging, musical and rhythmic. Music is very enjoyable. Fantastic! Perhaps this already has some hours clocked on it.

Using the NuForce HDP as the HD650 amp and preamp. The HDP DAC is a tad 'lifeless' in comparison, but in all fairness, comparisons are not optimal when the units are new.

M-Stage arrives this week, looking forward to pairing it with that. Will also have the M2Tech Young DAC and Matrix Mini-I to compare. Plus HD600s and hopefully LCD-2s, if the UK reseller gets back to me :¬)

Happy days!

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #195 of 531
Update: this DAC is something special. It's gotten better and better over the last few hours. I'm blown away, literally. My music collection has been universally upgraded with speed, accuracy, detail, smoothness and musicality; all transparently. It puts you in the music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back