Arrgh, what happened... DT880
Nov 3, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #61 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
I like the way Beyerdynamic designed these cans... there are no weird items sticking out, no strange arc overhead for size adjustment, unlike certain other manufacturers. Designers take note!
cool.gif

Agreed... like the Senn HD580/600/650 line, they have a simple "no nonsense, just music" type look to 'em in my opinion. They're probably less stylish than the Senns however... I can picture a Senn looking cool next to a violin, while the Beyer would look better in a recording studio (except for those nice earpads).

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #62 of 105
For me, the only downside to the 880 is their low sensitivity, and the new version's 32 Ohm option should improve that drastically. If so, I'll probably replace mine. But otherwise ... from my cold dead fingers.
tongue.gif

Of all my headphones only two are in the "never part with" category: the SA5K and the DT880.

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #64 of 105
I think it's rather funny that fewtch and I had a similar experience. I had the HD580 for the longest time, loved them, and thought they were as good as it gets. But of course, I find Head-fi, and soon enough, I was shopping for my next upgrade. I had never entertained the idea of the DT880 before, but all of sudden, I just wanted them very very badly. So badly that I just pulled the trigger on it and hoped for the best. Well, here I am about 4 months later, and I can honestly say that I haven't touched the HD580 since my DT880 arrived. I was worried because I'd made what was essentially an uninformed decision (i.e. blind guess) that I'd like the DT880, but man am I glad I did. I regret nothing.

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #65 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch
I think it's rather funny that fewtch and I had a similar experience. I had the HD580 for the longest time, loved them, and thought they were as good as it gets. But of course, I find Head-fi, and soon enough, I was shopping for my next upgrade. I had never entertained the idea of the DT880 before, but all of sudden, I just wanted them very very badly. So badly that I just pulled the trigger on it and hoped for the best. Well, here I am about 4 months later, and I can honestly say that I haven't touched the HD580 since my DT880 arrived. I was worried because I'd made what was essentially an uninformed decision (i.e. blind guess) that I'd like the DT880, but man am I glad I did. I regret nothing.

Interesting coincidence, and bodes well for my experience. I think I'll be touching my HD580s however, as my sources/recordings aren't the best and I'll be running into some brightness. HD580 should deal with music that sounds thin and/or bright through the DT880s.

My turntable cartridge is also bright, and I doubt my analog rig (as it stands right now) will sound good through DT880s. I'd change cartridges, if this one didn't track like it was magic. Just not gonna be anything else like it for a reasonable price.

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #66 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch

How is the bass on the 880's? I've heard it's a bit lean or lacking in the quanity dept.
confused.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #67 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
How is the bass on the 880's? I've heard it's a bit lean or lacking in the quanity dept.
confused.gif

I wouldn't call it lacking. It's definitely there, just not bumped up as much as, say, the HD650. It's very detailed and tight, though.

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
confused.gif

If frequency graphs are to be believed, it's as flat as a pancake.

iconGraph.php

There's definitely a treble boost there however, but overall this graph looks more impressive than any I've seen for any headphone. Doesn't say how it's gonna sound, of course.

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #69 of 105
I'm considering the 880's as a cheaper alternative to the 650 for listening to classical and movie scores exclusively... it there something in the Senn line up that would be better for this or are the 880's the best bang for buck??

btw - sorry for the thread detour
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
If frequency graphs are to be believed, it's as flat as a pancake.

Based on my own experiences, I'd say the graph is pretty accurate in that regard.

Quote:

There's definitely a treble boost there however, but overall this graph looks more impressive than any I've seen for any headphone. Doesn't say how it's gonna sound, of course.

There's definitely more treble on the DT880 than on the HD580, but where I sometimes found the treble to be grainy on the HD580, I get no such feeling from the DT880. There's more high end, but I've never found it harsh or fatiguing.

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #71 of 105
The only alternative in Senn's own lineup to the 880 are the cheaper Senns, namely the 580/600. The closest thing to the 880 in sound signatuire is the 595 which I think is less refined.

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #72 of 105
The 880's bass is not emphasized, if I were to describe it, it's two inches to the lean side of neutral, and the treble is three inches to the bright side of neutral. I think it's pretty close to neutral overall.

I have no problem listening to pop or trance with it.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #73 of 105
I so miss my DT880's. If I was to take another "deep dive" my first priority would be to obtain another pair of the DT880's...

Sourced from my SD3950 (modded with full power supply, caps, OPA627 output stage), into my old PPA juicing the DT880's was some serious late night audio-nirvana...

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #74 of 105
I've been listening to my new DT-880 for only 2 days, but I think they sound very sweet.

My WA3 is on it's way, so I've been using my PA2v2. Of course these cans need much more juice than this little amp can deliver but I've got a taste of what's to come.

If the sound has not been changed with the new version, then I'm glad I didn't wait much longer, I like the old flat looking sides better.

I see nothing ugly about the box that they come in. It's a good thing to have.

Money well spent for me ($215)

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #75 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Money well spent for me ($215)

I spent $225.95 plus $12 Fedex Saver, but to me it was money well spent. Purchased from Toddthevinyljunkie.com, and it's nice buying from another audiophile. I know for a fact these won't arrive dirty, like some from B&H Photo/Video. The little bit extra cost is worth it for a secure feeling ordering from a fellow headphone junkie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back