Arrgh, what happened... DT880
Nov 6, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #91 of 105
I'm really enjoying your early impressions, Fewtch. Thanks. The treble peak is narrow and is just a fraction of an octave in an area where there is very little musical content. To put in in perspective for you, the highest note on a piano has a frequency of 4.186 kilohertz. The DT880 peak seems to be in the 8 to 10 khz range. By the frequency response graph your impression that they're very neutral seems to be corroborated. I'll be reading with great interest your impressions as to how they hold up with time. I would be very into an open pair of headphones with a very neutral presentation, especially since I have digital EQ at the ready to do anything I want with the sound. This could be a very nice set of phones for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

GreatDane, do they sell these at Guitar Center brick and mortar stores?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thanks...

These headphones may be considered bright, but they're so slightly bright of neutral that you could call 'em neutral, in my opinion. IMO it's truly nitpicking if you call these babies bright (or maybe people have bright sources/amps).

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #92 of 105
The headphones are put away... a few final thoughts before I'm off to bed (got a bit of a second wind here
tongue.gif
).

Detail. It's "real" detail for sure, not an illusion brought on by boosted treble. Detail wise, these cans leave the HD580s back in the dust. I could listen to HD580 on a good vintage PCDP and find sonic bliss, but I'm not so sure with these... the Go-Vibe is easily good enough for them, but the Sony D-33 really isn't. So that's my next upgrade, I guess...

The increased detail (vs. HD580) brings out numerous minor sonic cues that add to soundstage perception, which creates a much more lifelike illusion of actually being in a concert hall. Couple this with small glitches in recordings (which promptly kill the illusion) and I don't know what to think
biggrin.gif
. I think the increased detail is worth it for better recordings, but I'll have to revert back to HD580s for poorer ones, unless it's OK to keep being reminded I'm listening to a recording.

They are definitely more forward than HD580. Because of this, they convey a more intimate feeling, rather than the sometimes rather standoffish, reserved attitude of HD580s. Everything about them feels "lighter" and more easygoing. The word effortless has been used...

Mids -- oh baby. Female vocals are really sweet (listened to a few Carpenters songs). I think the mids are more neutral and flatter than HD580. Zero recession here.

That's it, until I get more listening time in. Probably already said too much. Au revoir...

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #93 of 105
No, it's great to hear your impressions developing as you go. Let us know what you're listening to as well... it helps us imagine the sound more clearly
smily_headphones1.gif

Where's the DT880 smilie?

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #94 of 105
Congrats fewtch... DT880 is one of the finest cans at the $200 price point. I'm sure you'll not regret this purchase. I too have both, the HD580 and the DT880. Hmmm....I don't quite agree with your impression that the HD580 is more laid back compared to the DT880. To my ears, the DT880 is definitely more laid back with the HD580 and HD600 being more up front. Have another go on it and please post your 3rd impressions...am really interested in what you have to say!
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, Congrats and welcome to the Beyers family!

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #95 of 105
Upon going from the HD580 to the DT880, the thing that struck me right off the bat was the increased detail. I was hearing things with the DT880 that I never knew existed. Going back to the HD580 was very difficult for me, as they sounded veiled and colored to me, while the DT880 presented what I felt was a much more detailed, neutral sound (which, as it turns out, I like very much). The only thing that I was really disappointed about was that, to my ears, the bass impact wasn't really much greater on the DT880, but there was a lot more detail, so I guess I can live with that. The first thing I remember thinking after about a week with the DT880 was "Damn, I need a better source."

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #96 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch
Upon going from the HD580 to the DT880, the thing that struck me right off the bat was the increased detail. I was hearing things with the DT880 that I never knew existed. Going back to the HD580 was very difficult for me, as they sounded veiled and colored to me, while the DT880 presented what I felt was a much more detailed, neutral sound (which, as it turns out, I like very much). The only thing that I was really disappointed about was that, to my ears, the bass impact wasn't really much greater on the DT880, but there was a lot more detail, so I guess I can live with that. The first thing I remember thinking after about a week with the DT880 was "Damn, I need a better source."

I'm having similar impressions. The DT880 is definitely more detailed and neutral than HD580/600 -- I'd say that it's a technically better headphone. If I were a mastering engineer, I think this can would be on my short list.

Do I like it more than HD580? No. At this (admittedly very early) stage I still prefer the Sennheiser house sound, with all its flaws. DT880 lacks the sweet/liquid midrange of HD580; midrange is more forward and neutral, which to me doesn't translate to "better." It also has less bass authority and weight, which IMHO is a non-trivial flaw; it affects perception of the entire sonic signature of the headphone. DT880 treble is cleaner and more accurate, but isn't as breezy and magical as the HD580 up top.

The main thing I like the DT880 better for (so far) is large hall symphonic classical. Because of the much better detail, I'm getting numerous sonic cues and hall reverbations that transport me right there! Perceptually, soundstage becomes vast and I feel surrounded by music like I would in a real concert hall.

I was never unhappy with my HD580s; in fact, it's sonic signature is pure bliss to my ears. Basically I was just looking for exactly what I'm getting with the DT880 -- a more detailed and neutral can for those times (and musical genres) when I want those qualities. DT880 is also more forward and intimate IMO, which is going to help with very small instrumental ensembles. Other than that, I love my HD580s, "veil" be damned.
580smile.gif

P.S. lest people think I'm crazy for saying I'm leaving then coming back over & over, I gotz insomnia. Too tired to stay awake and too energized to sleep, not a good feeling.
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Congrats fewtch... DT880 is one of the finest cans at the $200 price point. I'm sure you'll not regret this purchase. I too have both, the HD580 and the DT880. Hmmm....I don't quite agree with your impression that the HD580 is more laid back compared to the DT880. To my ears, the DT880 is definitely more laid back with the HD580 and HD600 being more up front.

eek.gif

Wow, if anything shows just how subjective all this stuff is, that's gotta be it. I don't think the 880 is a LOT more forward than HD580/600, but I do hear it as being more forward (midrange in particular).

P.S. I still feel DT880/HD580/HD600 are in the same "class," although the improved detail, resolution and neutrality is worth the $75 premium over HD580s. If all three headphones were called "Class B" HD580 is B- to B, and DT880 is high B+.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999

GreatDane, do they sell these at Guitar Center brick and mortar stores?

GC does sell beyers although depending on your local store you might have to special order them as I did.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #98 of 105
First, my warmest congrats to new DT880s, fewtch. The "melody" of your postings after their arrival tends somewhat towards masked disappointment, though. As everybody says that the 880s don't burn in that much, I'll state that the listener's ear might needs to get used to a new can.

My experience with the 880s: Coming from the
basshead.gif
DT770'250, I rather miss their boosted trebles than their nutty bass when I put my new 880's on. The 880's soundstage is almost identical to the 770s
confused.gif
although the latter are closed.

I have mine for ~3weeks and it looks like my ears still have to get used to that 880s signature. They can't be beaten with classical or jazz, but with other genres (esp. electronica), they (still) have too much mids for my personal taste.

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #99 of 105
I think the listener's impression of a new set of cans can be heavily influenced by their original cans - their point of reference. I just listened to the Senns that I used unamped as reference for 10 years and was appalled... but they did show me that my Alessandros are on the bright side and forward sounding. Soundstage wasn't very good on these low/mid-range Senns, so claims about poor Grado soundstage may be exaggerated.

As an aside, it's frighteningly great how many good headphones are out there now. I'm simultaneously tempted by the Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Grado HP-2, Ltd. Ed. Audio-Technica ATH-900A and Alessandro MS-Pro. This hobby is just wrong and sick
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #100 of 105
Quote:

I'm having similar impressions. The DT880 is definitely more detailed and neutral than HD580/600 -- I'd say that it's a technically better headphone.

You don't say whether you've replaced the stock cable on your 580's, but to my ears with my gear a good replacement cable tames the 580's midbass hump and forward mids and really opens up the treble and increases detail throughout frequency range. Having said that I don't believe that even with a recable the 580's will ever achieve the level of transparency that the 880's possess, but none-the-less a good cable does make the 580's all that much more enjoyable to listen to.

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #101 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
First, my warmest congrats to new DT880s, fewtch. The "melody" of your postings after their arrival tends somewhat towards masked disappointment, though.

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed. I like the sound of the HD580s better, period. However, I'll do what I do with all new cans: Listen exclusively to the DT880 for awhile (few weeks at least). They are good cans, and certainly deserve a chance. Then I'll start using both, and if the DT880 begins to gather dust it'll be time to sell 'em. They sure go fast in the FS forums, so no concerns in that department
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
You don't say whether you've replaced the stock cable on your 580's, but to my ears with my gear a good replacement cable tames the 580's midbass hump and forward mids and really opens up the treble and increases detail throughout frequency range.

I've never seen the point of changing the sound of a headphone that I already like (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I tried a couple replacement cables, and never liked the changes they made -- to my ears, HD580 is already bliss and doesn't need any "help."

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #102 of 105
Been listening to more symphonic classical with DT880... IMO it's amazing. Closest thing to a direct window on the music I've listened to, at least outside of a meet setting
tongue.gif
. IMO it's a superior headphone for this sort of music, but I haven't decided about everything else yet.

There seems to be an improvement in bass already, probably associated with burn-in. Seemed bass-shy to start with, but I think bass is opening up and acquiring more heft. These cans do sub-bass amazingly well...

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #103 of 105
Quote:

There seems to be an improvement in bass already, probably associated with burn-in. Seemed bass-shy to start with, but I think bass is opening up and acquiring more heft. These cans do sub-bass amazingly well...

The DT 880 is certainly one of the headphones with best low-frequency extension, and this without any bass emphasis. Your initial disappointment may have to do with the lean bass and the lacking foundation therefrom. Although apart from the disappearing slight tendency to sibilance my DT 880 didn't show excessive break-in effects like e.g. the HD 650, one thing that improved was the bass -- it will sound fuller with time. This rather because of the softening of the earpads (which brings the drivers closer to the ears -- you may try to simulate the effect) than driver break-in, although it doesn't hurt to apply a hefty dose of bass-heavy break-in signals over one night or two.

In my case DT 880 and HD 600 seemed to be in the same class, with just different sonic signatures, and I slightly preferred the DT 880 because of its higher midrange resolution and finer overtones. (Nevertheless, the DT 880 had to go with the arrival of the HD 650...)

peacesign.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #104 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
The DT 880 is certainly one of the headphones with best low-frequency extension, and this without any bass emphasis. Your initial disappointment may have to do with the lean bass and the lacking foundation therefrom.

That's part of it (and probably also just being completely used to the HD580 sonic signature).

Quote:

Although apart from the disappearing slight tendency to sibilance my DT 880 didn't show excessive break-in effects like e.g. the HD 650, one thing that improved was the bass -- it will sound fuller with time. This rather because of the softening of the earpads (which brings the drivers closer to the ears -- you may try to simulate the effect) than driver break-in, although it doesn't hurt to apply a hefty dose of bass-heavy break-in signals over one night or two.

I don't think the pads have softened yet, but bass definitely seems to have improved some. I agree it doesn't seem like these cans need much burn-in... compared to HD580, which I remember was just terrible in the highs when I first got it (reminiscent of the worst aspects of HD280).

Quote:

In my case DT 880 and HD 600 seemed to be in the same class, with just different sonic signatures, and I slightly preferred the DT 880 because of its higher midrange resolution and finer overtones. (Nevertheless, the DT 880 had to go with the arrival of the HD 650...)

Could be... it definitely has better detail (by far) and cleaner bass than HD580, and I don't think HD600 is all that different... so it's technically a better headphone than 580/600 IMO. I think it has better soundstage as well, in the ability to pinpoint instruments. Someone mentioned a "three blob in the head effect" with HD580/600 -- I never noticed it specifically, but I do notice an improved ability to locate instruments with DT880. Could be because of better low-level resolution and detail, which just seems to improve everything.

Nov 10, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #105 of 105
I got mine just today, and I am listening to the Emperor (Kempff-Leitner)....I am NOT dissapointed. I am very happy
880smile.png

This headphone sounds magical...and it is not even burnt-in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back