Aristaeus VS Blue Hawaii
Dec 3, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 103
The only stock upgrade is the RK50 and what we're talking about is either DIY or something that will be offered later on. There will be no Black Gates though since the WKZ caps needed are all sold out and commanding huge prices on the used market but there are alternatives which are probably better. I'd much rather invest more in a better PSU the worry about the caps used.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #33 of 103
I have just been informed that a first run BHSE is available so I am now on the list. I will be sending out a deposit check today.

I decided to NOT go for the RK50 pot because I plan to adjust volume from my linestage through its remotely controlled stepped attenuator (.5 db steps).

Any suggestions on the tube complement to try? I am not an EL34 person (more of a triode person), so I don't know what are some of the options.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #36 of 103
ah ic. Anyway, CONGRATS on getting into the first run
tongue.gif
Did he just add an extra slot to it or did someone give theirs up?

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #38 of 103
The Mullard XF2's are my favorite EL34 tubes but you have to think twice before buying a set off ebay. You have to test them before plugging them in the amp as these are power tubes, swinging a lot of volts/current and if something were to go wrong it will probably go horribly wrong. You have been warned!

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #39 of 103
Larry I. Great news!
bigsmile_face.gif

It took Justin more than 20 long months from start to finish for the KGBH SE, but hopefully the end product are nothing but stunning.

Can't wait to see pictures of the final result, and of course to read user impressions.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 103
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. As to the advice on tube selection, I will look into the Mullards. I do have an Amplitrex tube tester, so, hopefully, no faulty tubes will be going into the BHSE.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #41 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. As to the advice on tube selection, I will look into the Mullards. I do have an Amplitrex tube tester, so, hopefully, no faulty tubes will be going into the BHSE.

Good to know. I was being a bit harsh as there has at least one amp blown up due to the tubes not being as advertised. The BHSE will ship with the new production Mullards so they should tide you over. I do somehow doubt that they will even be unboxed when I get my BHSE...
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #43 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, whats a good tube tester thats not too expensive Spritzer? Kind of afraid now, have to test mine!
tongue.gif

There are two options really, tube checker and a tube tester. The checker only verifies if the tube is working or not depending on a set of fixed tests while the tester measures the tube and is a lot more complicated i.e. more expensive. Your best bet would be to prowl ebay for something in your pricerange and then google it to see if there are any impressions. There is also a new alternative for 600$ and there was a thread on it here

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #44 of 103
Well, it looks like Justin is ready for deposits on the 2nd run of the KGBH SE on the order page of his website.

Just made a deposit for the KGBH SE w/Alps RK50 upgrade.

Wow, my O2s are quivering in their case with anticipation!

I wonder how many he will be building for the 2nd run? anyone else going in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back