Are You More of a album or song person ?
Nov 4, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #16 of 46
Album all the way. If I am using my computer, I tend to skip around a bit but I only ever do that on albums that I know very well already. For a new or relatively unknown album it is straight through for me.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #17 of 46
I've mellowed from a song hunter to an album listener. Having a turntable really changed the habit and so does hi-fi gear. I don't want to hop from song to song to get a fix. I'd rather put on a whole album and bliss out for its duration.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #18 of 46
Album listener, you can skip digital files, but on a vinyl record is quite unhandy...of course when i listen with my pc i skip a song sometimes, but never shuffle...

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #19 of 46
yeah, I'm more of an album person as well. I guess if I like a song, I certainly look for a few more in an album, though I end up leaning towards a select few songs. But ever so often I go back to songs I haven't listened to and appreciate the musicality in them as well.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 46
Definitely albums.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcp56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2700 albums only a few songs you really hate? wow, you must like anything.

I get rid of what I truly hate. It's amazing how many times I've bought an album and was indifferent to it. A couple of years later, I listen to it again and I think it's great and wonder why I haven't been listening to it. In iTunes, I have 29 genres, and I tag with very broad genres, typically what they'd sell under in a brick and mortar store.

Also half of my albums are classical. Once you get into classical music, there's an almost unlimited amount of music to buy. That's really true for almost any broad genre of music.

There are very few types of music I don't like, such as hardcore punk, death metal, pop country. But even though I don't like it, I can stand those genres. I went to 20-30 hardcore concerts in the 80s, and had a good time, because most of my friends were really into it.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 46
I'm an album person too, whether via LP, PC, or PMP - the initials don't change my habit!

I am pleasantly surprised- I read this thread, assuming that almost everyone would say 'song', since that is how music is being marketed these days. Being somewhat cynical and curmudgeonly at 53, I think it is also a function of people having shortened attention spans, and much busier lives. I'd be curious about whether the song vs. album answers split along some specific demographic, like age.....

No offense intended, I just think this is interesting.

Happy listening!

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 46
I guess I am a rarity here - a song person whose mp3 player is always on shuffle :wink: (hey! stop throwing stuff at me!)

I listen to music a lot while I'm out and about walking around, but when I am walking it's usually for 15-20 minutes at a time. I shuffle because otherwise I'd only ever get to listen to the first third of all my albums.

At home I will listen longer, but I usually put together a playlist from many different albums - it always starts with "you know, I really want to hear that particular song," so I play it, but while it's playing I start thinking of other things I want to hear, and I just sit and add a couple songs at a time to my list that I really want to hear right that minute, and then before I know it two hours have passed and it's bedtime.

When I first buy an album I will definitely listen to it straight through, to get that full album experience. But for the most part I don't think a lot of the music I listen to is very album-oriented. (E.g. one of the most listened-to CDs of this year for me is the soundtracks of two different films stuck onto one disc. They don't go together at all and I like one of the soundtracks about a thousand times more than the other, so I only listen to that half of the album.)

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I am a rarity here - a song person whose mp3 player is always on shuffle :wink:

tsk, tsk
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But for the most part I don't think a lot of the music I listen to is very album-oriented.

this. it depends a lot on the music genre you like as well... I cannot imagine listening to a whole album of disposable pop with a couple of hit singles, but love sitting through a prog concept album.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 46
I'm an old progressive rock fan. The genre was built on themes throughout the album. In this genre, I like albums. Pop, on the other hand, I like songs. I'm a convicted shuffaluffagus myself but if something catches my mood, I'll go to the album or artist's catalog. (doing this now with Dave Mason)

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this. it depends a lot on the music genre you like as well... I cannot imagine listening to a whole album of disposable pop with a couple of hit singles, but love sitting through a prog concept album.

Yeah, I never really listen to any prog, I'm sure if I had a bunch of concept albums I'd listen to them that way.

Some of the things I listen to, I feel like the album is only barely hanging together. Maybe it's just me, but I'm unlikely to be in the mood for 10 minutes of avant noise right after listening to a ballad. Their being on the same album is kind of irrelevant.

Although I listen to a lot of John Zorn, king of incompatible music genres, at least he's polite enough to put his chamber music and thrash jazz onto separate albums...

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #29 of 46
Album for me. I think of an album as a story the artist is trying to tell with each song fitting within a context. If I skip a song I'm missing part of the story. Though having said that there are some songs I just detest and I'll skip those. Life is short and there's a lot of music!

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 46
Always album, never song, even on my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back