Are you a console or PC gamer?
Mar 6, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #421 of 971

I spent hundreds on DLC for games I no longer own too.
frown.gif

(At least I can buy digital versions of the games later...the DLC is still on my PlayStation Store account. But I can't re-download the digital Wii content I bought.)

That's why I don't support game developers who pile DLCs on half finished games. The only time I ever buy dlc is during the steam sale where I can get them for like 80% off

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #422 of 971
  That's why I don't support game developers who pile DLCs on half finished games. The only time I ever buy dlc is during the steam sale where I can get them for like 80% off

What do you mean by half-finished?

I actually loved some of the DLC I bought. Here's an example. (I pretty much bought all of these.)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_downloadable_content

Even items that have no practical benefit really add to the experience, like being able to move the camera around and see the different outfits of characters in 3D.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #423 of 971

I'm just disappointed that the PC didn't get a collectors set. I was torn between better graphics and the black box ps4 edition but in the end I'm a sucke for LE stuff so I ended up getting it for PS4, once I have the collectors edition I can always pick it up super cheap in a steam sale in a few months. I just hate that square enix never includes the full soundtracks in the collectors editions, I'll have to import it from Japan if they don't put it on the US store.

I love a lot of game soundtracks and have a few but that's an impressive amount to spend on them. Although there's a few OST's on my list that'll probably end up hitting me for a huge chunk of change. SE really knows how to milk their fanbase

For me, I'm just interested in playing the game mostly. I would only go with PC because of the frame rate rather than the graphics, I need my 100+ fps rather than the 40s @900p I've been hearing on the ps4. I heard people complaining about the graphics but it looks perfectly fine to me for a game of that genre, it's no ff15 but I've seen a lot worse (breathe of the wild and the last guardian).
Ps4 has some really nice graphics in their exclusives like uncharted and zero dawn but I am unwilling to play anything below 80fps, and the ps4 struggles to keep even 40fps in many of those games.

I understand the soundtrack struggle, there's a japanese metal band I listen to and they have exclusive songs/instrumentals/covers that were only ever obtainable through japan pre order........ like await me your oath which I love because of the solo... there is an acoustic version of it and I never heard because it was japan only lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVnRo2hTeo

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #424 of 971

What do you mean by half-finished?

I actually loved some of the DLC I bought. Here's an example. (I pretty much bought all of these.)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_downloadable_content

Even items that have no practical benefit really add to the experience, like being able to move the camera around and see the different outfits of characters in 3D.

I don't have experience with final fantasy so maybe you did get some real good content from those DLCs, but I'm talking about things like ubisoft and EA who always release half finished games with bad pc optimizations and pile a ton of DLCs to get the whole game on launch date. If a DLC actually adds additional content to the game, meaning extending the gameplay which actual development after release like the witcher 3 then I fully support that

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #425 of 971
I understand the soundtrack struggle, there's a japanese metal band I listen to and they have exclusive songs/instrumentals/covers that were only ever obtainable through japan pre order........ like await me your oath which I love because of the solo... there is an acoustic version of it and I never heard because it was japan only lol

Stuff like that is easy enough to find on the used market. Just gotta look in the right places. I used to collect rare music.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #426 of 971

Stuff like that is easy enough to find on the used market. Just gotta look in the right places. I used to collect rare music.

obscure newish band+pre order limited edition+located in japan........ I DUNU if I can find that..... google has zero results. I would gladly buy them IF I could find them though lol. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #427 of 971
  obscure newish band+pre order limited edition+located in japan........ I DUNU if I can find that..... google has zero results. I would gladly buy them IF I could find them though lol. 

They're not that obscure or new.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Serenity_in_Murder/3540334455

There are plenty of results on Google for the limited edition of their new album. (Though it was indeed a preorder exclusive.) But it only came out last month. You'll have to give it some time for it to show up on the used market.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #428 of 971

They're not that obscure or new.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Serenity_in_Murder/3540334455

There are plenty of results on Google for the limited edition of their new album. (Though it was indeed a preorder exclusive.) But it only came out last month. You'll have to give it some time for it to show up on the used market.

They had 3 different limited editions that each had exclusive tracks across 3 different japanese online websites, something tells me this is gonna be an extraordinarily long journey to find, hopefully you are right and I can find them sooner or later.......... 

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #429 of 971

Some dlc's are worth buying though. Bethesda is a good example of well made DLC's, take shivering isles for example. Ironically they're also a good example of how not to do DLC with their horse armor DLC lol. Some DLC are full expansions to an already good game and then there's games like Destiny where you need 4 DLCs to get the full game. There's stuff I don't regret spending $20 on but most of it definitely isn't worth it.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #430 of 971
I actually asked a friend of mine who still plays on a console (Playstation 4) and he said that he just wants the experience. He said that the "feel" is just different playing on a console as opposed to having it on the PC. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #431 of 971
  I actually asked a friend of mine who still plays on a console (Playstation 4) and he said that he just wants the experience. He said that the "feel" is just different playing on a console as opposed to having it on the PC. 

you could hook up your pc to the tv, use a controller, and use steam in big picture mode for the same experience

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #432 of 971
As an MMO gamer, PC has been the only choice for me. Also, I enjoy listening to music with game sounds muted, which is simpler to do on PC.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #433 of 971
  you could hook up your pc to the tv, use a controller, and use steam in big picture mode for the same experience

A better experience too.  Possibly better visuals, audio, performance, and most of all mods plus more and better games (for most genres).

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #434 of 971
I just received notification from GOG.com that they are having a sale of up to 90% off.  Just about every title on my wish list is $1.99 CDN.  The Magic Carpet games, Dungeon Keepers, the Wing Commander games, the Populous series, Witcher and on and on it goes.

Another win for the PC.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #435 of 971
Does anyone here play visual novels?

I'm into Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (When They Cry). I first saw the anime, which became my second favorite...but it was originally a visual novel series. I've only watched through some of it on YouTube, since it's one of the types you can't make any decisions in. But it has one of the best plots I've ever seen. The entire thing is apparently hundreds of hours long! They rereleased most of it on PS3 (most of them are on PC, but also on consoles) with full voice acting, new songs, CGs, minigames, functions, etc. Sadly, this version was only released in Japan, and it doesn't even have English subtitles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back