Are you a console or PC gamer?
Feb 19, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #391 of 968
I started with controllers but never really felt like I was getting the most out of my gaming experience. When I first went into pc gaming, I thought the transition to mouse and keyboard would be difficult, but really it takes just as much "effort" as learning all the controller buttons except you already know them since the mouse and keyboard are used outside of gaming too. It feels much more accurate and gives me much more control which I am completely missing when going back to a controller, console games need aim assist for a reason. The only time where a controller is actually superior is in racing games, but a driving wheel is much better for those kinds of games anyways

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #393 of 968
  I started with controllers but never really felt like I was getting the most out of my gaming experience. When I first went into pc gaming, I thought the transition to mouse and keyboard would be difficult, but really it takes just as much "effort" as learning all the controller buttons except you already know them since the mouse and keyboard are used outside of gaming too. It feels much more accurate and gives me much more control which I am completely missing when going back to a controller, console games need aim assist for a reason. The only time where a controller is actually superior is in racing games, but a driving wheel is much better for those kinds of games anyways

This is 100% accurate.  Likewise, I gamed with controllers (on consoles) from childhood to high school before switching to PC gaming.  I thought mouse and keyboard would be weird and inferior even, but the opposite turned out to be true.  We all know how to type already, the transition is easy and a mouse and keyboard is more natural to me since I get to move my hands more freely rather than grip a controller all the time and get sweaty.  Mouse and keyboard is also better for everything except for racing games and maybe fighting games and certain sports games.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #394 of 968
I play everything I can using a controller. There are so many titles where m&k combo just doesn't cut it. Souls series, Assassin's Creed any slasher title is unplayable on keyboard to me. The increased precision of the mouse isn't that helpful outside of FPS games and lack of support for "couch gaming" (unless you count the ridiculously overpriced Roccat Sova) doesn't incite me either. I wish a commercial company started building Ben Heck's Steam Controllers those look like a perfect controller.

Jokes are really cringy but the actual designs are pretty great.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #395 of 968
  I play everything I can using a controller. There are so many titles where m&k combo just doesn't cut it. Souls series, Assassin's Creed any slasher title is unplayable on keyboard to me. The increased precision of the mouse isn't that helpful outside of FPS games and lack of support for "couch gaming" (unless you count the ridiculously overpriced Roccat Sova) doesn't incite me either. I wish a commercial company started building Ben Heck's Steam Controllers those look like a perfect controller.

Jokes are really cringy but the actual designs are pretty great.

I think we can agree that most pc gamers are more serious than console gamers, therefore all the competitive and MLG stuff is always pc gamers. To me, those games you listed are better on keyboard as far as my experience goes. You can play a pc on the couch as a less serious and more laid back experience using a controller, but personally I'm not a couch gamer nor a tv watcher so that would be a waste of a pc to me.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #396 of 968
Now I'm remembering the first time I played Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City on PS3 and didn't realize it had automatically connected me to team play instead of AI. I was totally new at the game and fumbling about, and I could hear other gamers on my team yelling at me, like, "What are you doing? What is wrong with you?" hahaha XD

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #397 of 968
  I think we can agree that most pc gamers are more serious than console gamers, therefore all the competitive and MLG stuff is always pc gamers. To me, those games you listed are better on keyboard as far as my experience goes. You can play a pc on the couch as a less serious and more laid back experience using a controller, but personally I'm not a couch gamer nor a tv watcher so that would be a waste of a pc to me.

I don't know about that that pc gamers are more serious than consoles gamers. Different machines, different platforms. It doesn't make one more serious than the other. Competitive MLG is also on console. Just looking at their website I see tons of games on console from COD to Rocket League. I can't tell if you were serious or not with your statement.
I think both have their merits. I think FPS are better played with a keyboard and mouse but some other games are better with a controller. For example Brothers: A tale of two sons

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #398 of 968
  I don't know about that that pc gamers are more serious than consoles gamers. Different machines, different platforms. It doesn't make one more serious than the other. Competitive MLG is also on console. Just looking at their website I see tons of games on console from COD to Rocket League. I can't tell if you were serious or not with your statement.
I think both have their merits. I think FPS are better played with a keyboard and mouse but some other games are better with a controller. For example Brothers: A tale of two sons

I will admit I am not familiar with the actual mlg term outside of the mlg montages :p
But the major competitive scenes with the large audiences and prize pools are most always pc with the exception of cod which has a bad name for itself. LOL, dota, starcraft, smite, csgo, etc.

Games that were originally designed for controllers do work a lot better on controllers, but if designed equally for both, a keyboard and mouse will at least always be equal in my experience. My biggest gripe with the controller is the analog sticks, in no situation have I found a mouse inferior 

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #399 of 968
My biggest gripe with the controller is the analog sticks, in no situation have I found a mouse inferior 

In Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 on PS3, much of the time you control characters with one joystick and camera movement with the other joystick, and it's very precise. I wouldn't want to do that with a keyboard and mouse. Those two games were later released on Steam, and I'm excited to eventually play them on PC, but I'm worried the controls will feel too weird to me. I'd probably try to hook up a PS3 controller instead.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #400 of 968
  I will admit I am not familiar with the actual mlg term outside of the mlg montages :p
But the major competitive scenes with the large audiences and prize pools are most always pc with the exception of cod which has a bad name for itself. LOL, dota, starcraft, smite, csgo, etc.

Games that were originally designed for controllers do work a lot better on controllers, but if designed equally for both, a keyboard and mouse will at least always be equal in my experience. My biggest gripe with the controller is the analog sticks, in no situation have I found a mouse inferior 

Racing games are unplayable on m&k. Lack of analog acceleration and turning makes them rather painful to play.

As for competitive play, Game Battles in MLG have equal number of PC and console titles
http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #401 of 968

In Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 on PS3, much of the time you control characters with one joystick and camera movement with the other joystick, and it's very precise. I wouldn't want to do that with a keyboard and mouse. Those two games were later released on Steam, and I'm excited to eventually play them on PC, but I'm worried the controls will feel too weird to me. I'd probably try to hook up a PS3 controller instead.

That could possibly be due to the games being designed for consoles then later ported to pc, I know tons of pc ports are badly optimized, and final fantasy is one of them too with those 30fps caps. I am interested in the franchise so I could possibly buy it to try in the future once the next steam sale happens though

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #402 of 968

Racing games are unplayable on m&k. Lack of analog acceleration and turning makes them rather painful to play.

As for competitive play, Game Battles in MLG have equal number of PC and console titles
http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc

I did say that racing games are probably better on controller but then a driving wheel is way better than any of them, in my previous post. I never had a problem playing rocket league or need for speed on mouse and keyboard, however it really lacked any kind of immersion and excitement during the racing moments  

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #403 of 968
  That could possibly be due to the games being designed for consoles then later ported to pc, I know tons of pc ports are badly optimized, and final fantasy is one of them too with those 30fps caps. I am interested in the franchise so I could possibly buy it to try in the future once the next steam sale happens though

Probably. The prices are already better than console prices (at least compared to when the games first came out) even when they're not on sale. But if you haven't already played some of the earlier Final Fantasy games (especially VII, which is my favorite game of all time), I think it would be better to get experience with those titles first.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #404 of 968

Probably. The prices are already better than console prices (at least compared to when the games first came out) even when they're not on sale. But if you haven't already played some of the earlier Final Fantasy games (especially VII, which is my favorite game of all time), I think it would be better to get experience with those titles first.

I heard about the ff7 remake which looks awesome, and the devs said 15 might come out on pc soon. Will definitely consider the older ones too

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #405 of 968
  I heard about the ff7 remake which looks awesome, and the devs said 15 might come out on pc soon. Will definitely consider the older ones too

I've been waiting for that remake for so many years. Too bad they're releasing it in small installments instead of all at once. I bought FF7 multiple times: on PS1 discs, PS3/PSP/Vita download, and PC download. (The last one has remastered graphics and slight alterations but is basically the same.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back