Are you a console or PC gamer?
Jan 3, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #346 of 973
anything below 100fps is unplayable for me. 60fps is already bad enough, cinematic 30fps and lower shader/texture/polygons would be a nightmare, the motion blur and input lag alone would be enough to put me off

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #347 of 973
  anything below 100fps is unplayable for me. 60fps is already bad enough, cinematic 30fps and lower shader/texture/polygons would be a nightmare, the motion blur and input lag alone would be enough to put me off

I'm starting to feel the same way after extensive gaming at 120 FPS with ULMB.  100 FPS + ULMB is the minimum point where I won't really complain, anything less is visibly unsmooth and I will complain.  

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #348 of 973
I'm a PC gamer who came from PC roots yet has spent more time with consoles, I grew up in the era of Marathon on Mac and Quake and Unreal Tournament on PC. So I have some old shooter roots however as a kid, I switched over to Console gaming for the couch co-op which I have begun to crave again. I kept up with my console gaming until after I graduated high school and started realizing how little time was ever left in my life or rather, in the life of my friends when I was available to play couch co-op. So, I sold my ps3 at the time and started building a computer. Started off almost all refurb or second hand parts and the processor I'm rockin is still the original PhenomII X6 I bought used 5 or so years ago now haha. Looking to upgrade to the new Ryzen cores if they end up being as good as they're looking. It's nice though because there's such a variety of games out there to play and I have gathered a collection of 4 wired X-Box 360 controllers and still do a little couch co-op with stuff like the new Gauntlet game or different beatem-up games. So having been in the best of both worlds, while I think we should just move to a world of steam machines and pc gaming to ditch things like the PSN or X-Box live, I feel that both consoles and PC gaming have their fits in this world. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #349 of 973
  I'm a PC gamer who came from PC roots yet has spent more time with consoles, I grew up in the era of Marathon on Mac and Quake and Unreal Tournament on PC. So I have some old shooter roots however as a kid, I switched over to Console gaming for the couch co-op which I have begun to crave again. I kept up with my console gaming until after I graduated high school and started realizing how little time was ever left in my life or rather, in the life of my friends when I was available to play couch co-op. So, I sold my ps3 at the time and started building a computer. Started off almost all refurb or second hand parts and the processor I'm rockin is still the original PhenomII X6 I bought used 5 or so years ago now haha. Looking to upgrade to the new Ryzen cores if they end up being as good as they're looking. It's nice though because there's such a variety of games out there to play and I have gathered a collection of 4 wired X-Box 360 controllers and still do a little couch co-op with stuff like the new Gauntlet game or different beatem-up games. So having been in the best of both worlds, while I think we should just move to a world of steam machines and pc gaming to ditch things like the PSN or X-Box live, I feel that both consoles and PC gaming have their fits in this world. 

Very interesting story, damn you're still using phenom like a champ. Ryzen is definitely an enticing option, I myself am considering it too (the 8 core of course). The reason why steam machines haven't taken over is because of their prices and options. Steam machines start at around $500 for the lowest end model, then they present options that go upwards of $1000+ so I think it really intimidates the average console gamer, especially since $500 is a lot more expensive than a ps4 these days going for $260, yet they are getting the lowest model. Building a pc could probably match or exceed a console value, but wouldn't solve the dilemma of console gamers wanting a cheap and no effort experience. However, I would like steam machines to get adopted so we can get proper linux support. We could get better chances with ryzen/vega steam machines with vulkan

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #350 of 973
  Very interesting story, damn you're still using phenom like a champ. Ryzen is definitely an enticing option, I myself am considering it too (the 8 core of course). The reason why steam machines haven't taken over is because of their prices and options. Steam machines start at around $500 for the lowest end model, then they present options that go upwards of $1000+ so I think it really intimidates the average console gamer, especially since $500 is a lot more expensive than a ps4 these days going for $260, yet they are getting the lowest model. Building a pc could probably match or exceed a console value, but wouldn't solve the dilemma of console gamers wanting a cheap and no effort experience. However, I would like steam machines to get adopted so we can get proper linux support. We could get better chances with ryzen/vega steam machines with vulkan

Another problem with Steam Machines is the relatively small game selection on Linux/SteamOS.  Small compared to Windows definitely.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #351 of 973
Lately I've been playing console games on PC. Just a little bit, though. The more fast-paced action-oriented ones are difficult for me to control well with a keyboard, whereas it's easy with a controller. And I still need to get around to playing through the PC remaster of Final Fantasy VII (still my favorite game) I bought.

@akg fanboy
Got my HD 800 today.
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #352 of 973

Lol yea, it's been faithful and out lived several motherboards at this point, and to think, I had it pushed to 4.2ghz on air when I got it! Now due to more motherboard issues (which I haven't done anything about because I figure, screw it, I'll just replace it when I get my Ryzen processor. I do have to say, I agree with you completely on the Steam machine issue. It's biggest problem is that they are trying to hard to make it more computer like than console like, they need to just but a "it'll do" processor and mobo in and go crazy on ram and gpu. For like 400$ I can build a decent console buster so telling me that these companies can't get together to work out a deal and make something as good or not better, slap a steam sticker on it and sell it with the free OS installed. I don't buy it. It's that the manufacturers aren't being smart, or at least that's my perspective. Not to mention the amount of marketing it would take to push them, and where? Not at GameStop where, lets face it, most console users go. Why would they want to sell you something that they could only sell you accessories for? They don't they want you to rely on a physical medium. Now here's where things could get interesting is if they would switch to a solid state delivery system for games again, think SD cards, then we could do encoding in the chip that would make it difficult for pirates to replicate it, think soft token (ex: your steam authenticator on your phone) so that publishers wouldn't have to go DRM-Free, this would be slightly more than the digital medium which would still be available sure, but this would bring back the sharing games and selling used games. 

Another problem with Steam Machines is the relatively small game selection on Linux/SteamOS.  Small compared to Windows definitely.

That's another really good point. It would be awesome to see more Linux/SteamOS support and I would say that It's probably the largest limiting factor. Easy fix for this which would be amazing would to see Valve become a partner with Microsoft and to see the SteamOS capable of playing windows OS stuff only. We have many hurdles but none that I think couldn't be overcome for the better of the industry. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #353 of 973
Luckily, more and more game engines support Linux natively (Unity, UE4, CryEngine3), and Vulkan is a cross-platform API so developing games for Linux should be much easier. Hopefully, SteamOS becomes viable at some point.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #354 of 973
PC Gamer.
I grew up on the FPS and space sim classics of the 90s (e.g., Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, FreeSpace) and still mostly play those genres when I have time to game (life's busy these days...married). Prefer mechanical keyboard / mouse and hotas setup I have on my PC for them.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #355 of 973
I wish there were more Star wars games , EA has a stranglehold on the entire franchise and it is only going to hurt them in the end, I know there are some devs out there that could create wonderful story lines within that universe. But EA seem intent on squeezing blood from a stone with the entire battlefront series, and all they will end up with is dust in their hands.

I'd like to see a renewed version of the X-wing and Tie fighter Series, I LOVED playing those games as a kid*. Though as I recall there were balance issues with PvP multiplayer missions in TF Vs XW. The best way of eliminating that would be through giving us a multiplayer PvE Co-Op campaign. I have always wanted to take out the shield generators of a super star destroyer, take out the command center and watch it plow into the death star..I'd be tempted to bring marshmallows.

I Have been playing a lot of Elite dangerous+ DLC. I have a Saitek X-55 rhino HOTAS which makes the game SO immersive.

After Seeing star wars rogue one and the kind of ships [ especially the Tie striker] in that movie mixing atmospheric and space combat in that movie, my desire for a star wars flight sim only got worse. I dug through my old CD cases and found my original X-wing and Tie fighter game discs, they still smell the same way they did when I pulled them out of the box all those years ago...that fresh game box smell.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #356 of 973
I wish there were more Star wars games , EA has a stranglehold on the entire franchise and it is only going to hurt them in the end, I know there are some devs out there that could create wonderful story lines within that universe. But EA seem intent on squeezing blood from a stone with the entire battlefront series, and all they will end up with is dust in their hands.

I'd like to see a renewed version of the X-wing and Tie fighter Series, I LOVED playing those games as a kid*. Though as I recall there were balance issues with PvP multiplayer missions in TF Vs XW. The best way of eliminating that would be through giving us a multiplayer PvE Co-Op campaign. I have always wanted to take out the shield generators of a super star destroyer, take out the command center and watch it plow into the death star..I'd be tempted to bring marshmallows.

I Have been playing a lot of Elite dangerous+ DLC. I have a Saitek X-55 rhino HOTAS which makes the game SO immersive.

After Seeing star wars rogue one and the kind of ships [ especially the Tie striker] in that movie mixing atmospheric and space combat in that movie, my desire for a star wars flight sim only got worse. I dug through my old CD cases and found my original X-wing and Tie fighter game discs, they still smell the same way they did when I pulled them out of the box all those years ago...that fresh game box smell.

Yeah, with success of Rogue One movie and new interest in space sims a modern Tie Fighter sequel seems like a no brainer.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #357 of 973
I just want KOTOR 3 and perhaps more Star Wars RPGs afterwards, but there isn't a studio with enough talent to successfully pull it off, and EA/BioWare would turn it into another SJW romance simulator with dumbed down casual action gameplay.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #358 of 973
PC, even though I was initially a console player. I think I was because I thought of a console being cheaper just buy and done and all you got to do is buy games. Eventually I came across, some random article a long time ago, describing how PC gaming is actually cheaper even if it may be a bit more expensive. Now I love it, just wait a month or two and a game could already be 50% off. Pretty sweet. Now I wait for Ryzen/GTX 10xxTi/11xx to finally upgrade my PC.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #359 of 973
PC Master race here all the way! Always been a PC games, I tried to like consoles, even bought a PS3 a few years ago, and I sold it shortly after that. Just doesn't do it for me. 

Consoles, in my opinion, are a waste of money. Everything you can do with a console, you can do on a PC, a thousand times better. With a thousand more options/customizability. You can game while watching a movie and browsing online. Try doing that on a console.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #360 of 973
Everything you can do with a console, you can do on a PC, a thousand times better. With a thousand more options/customizability. You can game while watching a movie and browsing online. Try doing that on a console.

Perhaps from a technical standpoint, but not from a licensing one. Some games are only on consoles, so you'd have to use an emulator to play them on PC.

I'm so glad they're making more Final Fantasy games (including XIII and XIII-2) available on PC!

Is your user name a reference to Starfire from Teen Titans? (I love her.) Or maybe it's a golf reference. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back