Are you a console or PC gamer?
Aug 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #46 of 969
I am a recently converted PC gamer, but I try not to look down on any type of gaming (exept the origional wii. I play video games to avoid exercise thank you very much.) I was an Xbox user until I got my Alienware 17r3 and now I play PC because the games are cheaper and the graphics are better. I still miss the ease of a controller though, thinking of getting one.
One problem I've found with PC however is that it is almost impossible to play older games online (especially fps games) without being bombarded by people who've hacked and modded their way to tyranny on the game. I absolutely loved CoD MW2, but when I went to download it on steam I learned via reveiws it was so plauged by hackers that the multiplayer was basically unplayable. That made me very sad.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #47 of 969
One problem I've found with PC however is that it is almost impossible to play older games online (especially fps games) without being bombarded by people who've hacked and modded their way to tyranny on the game. I absolutely loved CoD MW2, but when I went to download it on steam I learned via reveiws it was so plauged by hackers that the multiplayer was basically unplayable. That made me very sad.

Reminds me of this South Park episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Love,_Not_Warcraft

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #48 of 969
I am a recently converted PC gamer, but I try not to look down on any type of gaming (exept the origional wii. I play video games to avoid exercise thank you very much.) I was an Xbox user until I got my Alienware 17r3 and now I play PC because the games are cheaper and the graphics are better. I still miss the ease of a controller though, thinking of getting one.

Yeah if you miss a controller, get one.  Although I find mouse and keyboard much easier to use myself.

Older online games are indeed filled with hackers, but old online games are either unplayable on console due to shut down servers or unplayable due to a lack of players.  Pick your poison I guess.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #50 of 969
Yeah if you miss a controller, get one.  Although I find mouse and keyboard much easier to use myself.

Older online games are indeed filled with hackers, but old online games are either unplayable on console due to shut down servers or unplayable due to a lack of players.  Pick your poison I guess.

I don't think MW2 will ever run out of players, some CoD players consider it the peak of CoD online gameplay (as I do). I've since gotten Battlefield Bad Company 2 on steam and the punkbuster system seems pretty good at keeping hackers out. I enjoy playing it, but the only game type still available is squad deathmatch, and 4 teams of 4 is a bit too much for me. I'd rather have 2 teams of 8. Full games are always too busy for me, and it's hard to get a game with 4-6 players.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #51 of 969
I've since gotten Battlefield Bad Company 2 on steam and the punkbuster system seems pretty good at keeping hackers out. I enjoy playing it, but the only game type still available is squad deathmatch, and 4 teams of 4 is a bit too much for me. I'd rather have 2 teams of 8. Full games are always too busy for me, and it's hard to get a game with 4-6 players.

You should try Rush if you haven't already. That's BC2's best mode IMO. I find BC2 still fun for a casual romp every now and then, but the floaty movement and controls and input quirks are almost impossible to try to play competitively. Whichever designer thought visual recoil (where your crosshairs float around randomly on-screen in ADS) while suppressed, or who made vehicle turret turn speed much slower than hipfire with no way to adjust it, should be smacked upside the head.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #52 of 969
You should try Rush if you haven't already. That's BC2's best mode IMO. I find BC2 still fun for a casual romp every now and then, but the floaty movement and controls and input quirks are almost impossible to try to play competitively. Whichever designer thought visual recoil (where your crosshairs float around randomly on-screen in ADS) while suppressed, or who made vehicle turret turn speed much slower than hipfire with no way to adjust it, should be smacked upside the head.

As far as I know there are no game modes other than SQDM. Usually I end up playing with like 4 level 50s. As a level 6 can get a bit tedious, but I refuse to play the new call of duty as all that I've played of the newer CoDs multiplayer just makes me hate it more. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I felt that they had it right back with MW2, and now they constantly add more unnecessary things that seem to take away form the overall experience. I'm more of a minimalist though, and that's why Battlefield immediately attracted me.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #53 of 969
As far as I know there are no game modes other than SQDM. Usually I end up playing with like 4 level 50s. As a level 6 can get a bit tedious, but I refuse to play the new call of duty as all that I've played of the newer CoDs multiplayer just makes me hate it more. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I felt that they had it right back with MW2, and now they constantly add more unnecessary things that seem to take away form the overall experience. I'm more of a minimalist though, and that's why Battlefield immediately attracted me.

Really? Your server filter settings must be too restrictive then. I'm on the West Coast and have no trouble finding full 32-player Conquest and Rush servers at pretty much any time of the day. Battlefield is hardly minimalist though as it's combined arms warfare. Minimalist would be like CS:GO or arena shooters. Although the Bad Company series is more minimalistic than the main Battlefield series since it's half the number of max players and a lot more infantry-focused with smaller, tighter maps and lack of jets and other vehicles.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #54 of 969
Really? Your server filter settings must be too restrictive then. I'm on the West Coast and have no trouble finding full 32-player Conquest and Rush servers at pretty much any time of the day. Battlefield is hardly minimalist though as it's combined arms warfare. Minimalist would be like CS:GO or arena shooters. Although the Bad Company series is more minimalistic than the main Battlefield series since it's half the number of max players and a lot more infantry- focused with smaller, tighter maps and lack of jets and other vehicles.

Hmm... Not sure. I'll look into it.
Yeah. I love small maps with no vehicles and limited weapon and perk combinations. They bring an amazing sense of balance and skill to the game, especially when no weapon is "all powerful greatest weapon in the game have to be a certain level to get it". I spent a lot of summers playing MW 2 and Black Ops. I still have both on my 360, but I'm about to move into a dorm and I've opted against bringing a gaming system and tv and decided to just bring my laptop.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #55 of 969
Was a console heavy gamer, but the past 2 years or so, I have found myself buying PC version of games, mainly because you can optimize them any way you want. I'm still someone who NEEDS to use a gamepad, so I don't benefit from keyboard and mouse (as I never learned to correctly use a keyboard, and have to look at it to type.) Trying to play PC games with a keyboard is alien to me, and I can't find myself adjusting every time I try. It physically bothers me to have my fingers rest on the asdf jkl; keys, so I rather type by pecking with my index fingers. I've been doing it for like 20 years now, so I'm good at it in this way.

I any case, games are pretty much guaranteed to be cheaper on PC, with massive discounts a lot of the time.

The only time I play on consoles is for exclusives, and for multiplayer FPS games, simply because I can stay competitive on consoles, whereas I would get destroyed on PC by keyboard users. So say, CoD, I'll definitely lean heavily on playing it on PS4 instead of PC.

I DO prefer playing my JRPGs on console, mainly because it feels weird playing them on PC, but that's something I'm also moving towards PC now that JRPGs are making a huge swing towards releasing on PC.

I do feel bad about my PS4 pretty much collecting dust, but it only gets used when the rare exclusive releases, like Uncharted 4.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #56 of 969
PC gamer myself. But not exactly. The only game I play is a modified Quake 3 -- I named the mod "Impluse". Railgun only, unlimited ammo, 300ms reload time. 100 frags in ~8 minutes in q3dm9 with 4 bots at skill 3. It's kinda like martial art. Had to try about 5 mouse pads and 3 mice (at 16k native DPI now) until I found the combo that can keep up with this.

(I also happen to be the guy implementing a Q3 bugfix which slashed the input latency to half, so that goes rather well with my mod.)

I have very little time to waste so compressing this much action (I play 2 levels in one session usually) into about 20 minutes gameplay around 2 - 3 times a day just does it for me -- very very effective. Startup of the game takes about 10 seconds (console commands). In total I have about 5 favorite levels I can play with top enjoyment (the GTX980-hungry lun3dm5 is among them).

Not even going into VR at this time - it can't help here - if I tried to turn my head at the speed I'm turning my head with the mouse, I'd have to break my neck (with VR glasses flying across the room).

With all this said - I think consoles may be a lot of fun with other types of games, and I may even try some at some point when I feel like I have more time to spend. There are things in the general PC gaming area that I loathe -- the fact that I can't buy a game on Steam because I live in a different country that my credit card was issued for (and I'm not going to fiddle with gift certificates), or the fact that with a new game or driver install I am putting my Windows 10 install at risk, the fact that Linux gaming still sucks due to AMD / Valve impotency, etc. Console may just be a really nice way to spend time on long winter evenings.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #57 of 969

With all this said - I think consoles may be a lot of fun with other types of games, and I may even try some at some point when I feel like I have more time to spend. There are things in the general PC gaming area that I loathe -- the fact that I can't buy a game on Steam because I live in a different country that my credit card was issued for (and I'm not going to fiddle with gift certificates), or the fact that with a new game or driver install I am putting my Windows 10 install at risk, the fact that Linux gaming still sucks due to AMD / Valve impotency, etc. Console may just be a really nice way to spend time on long winter evenings.

Game or driver install putting Windows 10 install at risk?  How?

Also the solution to your first issue would be to not rely too much on Steam, but yeah it's very annoying especially when you consider how important Steam is.  Origin isn't like that to my knowledge.

Valve has been pushing more for Linux support lately since they are at war with Microsoft.  So we may see things improve on Linux.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #58 of 969
Never had a problem with game installs doing anything to Windows 7, 8, 10. Whether Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #59 of 969

Game or driver install putting Windows 10 install at risk?  How?

Also the solution to your first issue would be to not rely too much on Steam, but yeah it's very annoying especially when you consider how important Steam is.  Origin isn't like that to my knowledge.

Valve has been pushing more for Linux support lately since they are at war with Microsoft.  So we may see things improve on Linux.

Never had a problem with game installs doing anything to Windows 7, 8, 10. Whether Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.

Google search for "windows game install issues" turns up about 27 million results. I know these don't all relate to Windows stability itself, but I did mean it in a broader sense. Also, I'm well aware of the System Restore point feature, but still, I just prefer my PC working (I do my work on it) and any install or driver upgrade is a very real risk of breaking things, and then having to waste precious time fixing them. Not going into companies trying to install increasing amount of bloat alongside the actual game software. Consoles don't have this problem, and I can buy PS4 discs on Amazon. So that.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #60 of 969
Was a console heavy gamer, but the past 2 years or so, I have found myself buying PC version of games, mainly because you can optimize them any way you want. I'm still someone who NEEDS to use a gamepad, so I don't benefit from keyboard and mouse (as I never learned to correctly use a keyboard, and have to look at it to type.) Trying to play PC games with a keyboard is alien to me, and I can't find myself adjusting every time I try. It physically bothers me to have my fingers rest on the asdf jkl; keys, so I rather type by pecking with my index fingers. I've been doing it for like 20 years now, so I'm good at it in this way.

I any case, games are pretty much guaranteed to be cheaper on PC, with massive discounts a lot of the time.

The only time I play on consoles is for exclusives, and for multiplayer FPS games, simply because I can stay competitive on consoles, whereas I would get destroyed on PC by keyboard users. So say, CoD, I'll definitely lean heavily on playing it on PS4 instead of PC.

I DO prefer playing my JRPGs on console, mainly because it feels weird playing them on PC, but that's something I'm also moving towards PC now that JRPGs are making a huge swing towards releasing on PC.

I do feel bad about my PS4 pretty much collecting dust, but it only gets used when the rare exclusive releases, like Uncharted 4.

The legendary Mad Lust Envy appears!

That's quite unexpected about the keyboard thing. Although I learned how to type as a child, I just don't like keyboards for gaming. So once I become more of a PC gamer, I'd still insist on connecting a controller of some kind most of the time.

I'm really bummed that the PS4 has almost no backwards compatibility. They always talked about how they plan on eventually having universal compatibility, with all previous PlayStation games released digitally...but who knows how long that will take. As of now you can't even download and play PSone Classics. PS3 games that can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store also are not available for PS4. I think it's actually a legal/licensing issue, since technologically speaking, it would be easy for them to make all this stuff available. Until they get that taken care of, I think PS3 and PS Vita are a better choice, since the only appeal of PS4 at the moment is the exclusive games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back