Are you a console or PC gamer?
Aug 19, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #31 of 971
  Yeah, I used to use MotioninJoy to connect PS3 controller and use DS4Windows now to connect PS4 controller to my PC. Action games play so much better on a controller.

What I really enjoyed with the PS3 controller was controlling the 3D camera at the same time as moving around. Can't imagine how you're supposed to do that with a mouse!

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 971

What I really enjoyed with the PS3 controller was controlling the 3D camera at the same time as moving around. Can't imagine how you're supposed to do that with a mouse!

Well, it's still down to you left hand for movement/right hand for camera angle even with mouse and keyboard. It's just left hand fingers on WSAD and the entire right hand on the mouse instead of thumbs on analog sticks. Personally I find aiming faster and a lot easier with mouse, but I already had two decades of muscle memory built into my reflexes lol.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #33 of 971
  Well, it's still down to you left hand for movement/right hand for camera angle even with mouse and keyboard. It's just left hand fingers on WSAD and the entire right hand on the mouse instead of thumbs on analog sticks. Personally I find aiming faster and a lot easier with mouse, but I already had two decades of muscle memory lol.

I just can't imagine a keyboard and mouse giving me nearly as much control as PS3-style dual analog joysticks. Granted, if you want to quickly move to a certain area for aiming and such, a mouse has an advantage.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #34 of 971

I just can't imagine a keyboard and mouse giving me nearly as much control as PS3-style dual analog joysticks. Granted, if you want to quickly move to a certain area for aiming and such, a mouse has an advantage.

I couldn't imagine it either until I finally started using them.  So much more control and precision in most games, except for driving.

It's a real shame none of those IR-LED analog mechanical keyboard switches came out.  Such as:

The reliability and instant response time of a mechanical switch, but IR LED sensing to allow for 3 different "stages" of a keypress.  Kind of like pressure sensitive buttons which Sony controllers have, but much more reliable, durable, and faster response.  Aimpad in particular failed its Kickstarter sadly.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 971
  I couldn't imagine it either until I finally started using them.  So much more control and precision in most games, except for driving.

It's a real shame none of those IR-LED analog mechanical keyboard switches came out.  Such as:

The reliability and instant response time of a mechanical switch, but IR LED sensing to allow for 3 different "stages" of a keypress.  Kind of like pressure sensitive buttons which Sony controllers have, but much more reliable, durable, and faster response.  Aimpad in particular failed its Kickstarter sadly.

Do they let you control movement of characters with as much precision as a PS3 joystick? A mouse can obviously move a camera around with precision, but what can a keyboard do to move characters with that level of control? (For example, the PS3 joystick lets you walk very slowly or run at full speed, control the exact angle at which you make turns, and so on.) All I know as far as moving characters around with a keyboard goes is the up, down, left, and right keys.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #36 of 971

Do they let you control movement of characters with as much precision as a PS3 joystick? A mouse can obviously move a camera around with precision, but what can a keyboard do to move characters with that level of control? (For example, the PS3 joystick lets you walk very slowly or run at full speed, control the exact angle at which you make turns, and so on.) All I know as far as moving characters around with a keyboard goes is the up, down, left, and right keys.

Currently keyboard don't have that kind of precision control yet, the closest being the IR switch @Rhamnetin mentioned. That's part of the reason why I'm still using PS4 controller on my PC for some games. I tried playing Need for Speed on keyboard once and went to to buy a PC controller right away. 

This is the website for the keyboard. Doesn't come cheap though.
https://wooting.nl/

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #37 of 971
  Currently keyboard don't have that kind of precision control yet, the closest being the IR switch @Rhamnetin mentioned. That's part of the reason why I'm still using PS4 controller on my PC for some games. I tried playing Need for Speed on keyboard once and went to to buy a PC controller right away. 

This is the website for the keyboard. Doesn't come cheap though.
https://wooting.nl/

That's what I thought. It just seems you'd need a controller of some sort for that.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #38 of 971

Let's say you want to walk instead of run.  On keyboard, this is done either with a key that toggles between run and walk speed, or a key that is held in conjunction with the move keys which slows down your pace.  So you get a wider range of movement speeds with controller.  With mouse and keyboard, you won't find more than 3, and 2 is what's common.  

For free look in a normal third person game, PC games will achieve this by holding either a key or a mouse button and then moving the mouse.  This mouse movement will instead move the camera instead of your character.

You should try out ArmA 3 one day.  It is a military simulator type game that showcases some of the most advanced and diverse movements, and has far too much functionality for a controller.  It also lets you bind functions to macro key combos, like double clicking a key or pressing two keys at once.

If you look up videos of the game Dishonored, an advanced stealth/action game, you can do so much more in games like that with mouse and keyboard.  That game on mouse and keyboard, especially at 120 FPS with blur reduction, showcases a level of fluidity that is mind boggling and unlike anything else.  Shadow Warrior as well, but it doesn't have the same kind of advanced movement or platforming.  Sleeping Dogs melee combat is another game in which mouse and keyboard unexpectedly comes in handy so much, being more intuitive than controller.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #39 of 971

Forgot about my Atari 2600. I guess I also was a console gamer as far as the nes and atari are concerned, but did pc game a back to the comodore 64 and apple II

You're not supposed to forget the Atari 2600! Blasphemy! 
blink.gif

My god has graphics taken a turn for the better. I remember a basketball game on the Atari. Wow. Just look at it:

I also remember Pitfall II.

As for the Commodore, of course I enjoyed the usual suspects when it came to games, I mean, who didn't like Rambo. However, one of my absolute favorites was Law Of The West:

Oh memories. Bonus, Rambo music:

Back when game music was actually sids/mods, bitpop and chiptunes! Perhaps my childhood is the reason that I STILL listen to music like this!? I have like 4-5 playlists on Spotify with chiptunes, LOL ..

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #40 of 971
Back when game music was actually sids/mods, bitpop and chiptunes! Perhaps my childhood is the reason that I STILL listen to music like this!? I have like 4-5 playlists on Spotify with chiptunes, LOL ..

Video game music is so awesome, both old and new.

Check out this artist. He combines hip hop with video game music! Highlights include Final Fantasy, Mega Man, and Castlevania. Lots of his music is free too.

http://megaranmusic.com

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #41 of 971

Video game music is so awesome, both old and new.

Check out this artist. He combines hip hop with video game music! Highlights include Final Fantasy, Mega Man, and Castlevania. Lots of his music is free too.

http://megaranmusic.com

Didn't know about him, thanks. I usually listen to more "pure" chiptunes like..

Luckily Sweden has myriads of great chiptune artists. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #42 of 971

Let's say you want to walk instead of run.  On keyboard, this is done either with a key that toggles between run and walk speed, or a key that is held in conjunction with the move keys which slows down your pace.  So you get a wider range of movement speeds with controller.  With mouse and keyboard, you won't find more than 3, and 2 is what's common.  

For free look in a normal third person game, PC games will achieve this by holding either a key or a mouse button and then moving the mouse.  This mouse movement will instead move the camera instead of your character.

You should try out ArmA 3 one day.  It is a military simulator type game that showcases some of the most advanced and diverse movements, and has far too much functionality for a controller.  It also lets you bind functions to macro key combos, like double clicking a key or pressing two keys at once.

If you look up videos of the game Dishonored, an advanced stealth/action game, you can do so much more in games like that with mouse and keyboard.  That game on mouse and keyboard, especially at 120 FPS with blur reduction, showcases a level of fluidity that is mind boggling and unlike anything else.  Shadow Warrior as well, but it doesn't have the same kind of advanced movement or platforming.  Sleeping Dogs melee combat is another game in which mouse and keyboard unexpectedly comes in handy so much, being more intuitive than controller.

Still there is a reason why platformers are easier with analogue joysticks then WASD. In a lot of games all you want is to change direction quick then WASD works. It´s not tricky to navigate yourself around a corner like it´s to do some of the stunts in super mario 3D. And of course aiming is just faster and more precise and accurate with a mouse.

Games like Thief for example the ability to control your walking speed give gamepads an edge. You shouldn´t have to aim anywhere or you are doing things wrong so yes analogue joysticks allow for more controlled movements then WASD. The limited set of buttons forces the game to be more streamlined for good and bad. 

I am neither. I do 95 % of my gaming on PC. I don´t understand why it´s an either or. If you are a gamer you run games on every platform right?

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #43 of 971
I am neither. I do 95 % of my gaming on PC. I don´t understand why it´s an either or. If you are a gamer you run games on every platform right?

Yes, plenty of gamers use both PC and consoles. Although the thread title may imply "either or", it really just means "Which platforms do you game on: PC, consoles, or both?"

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #44 of 971
Console gaming in 2016

No but really, last game I played on console was MGS 3 Snake Eater in like 2004 and it changed my life, no console exclusives have felt worth it to me after that. There's a couple interesting releases every year or two but it's not really worth buying every generation just to play those. I don't really play PC games nowadays either, most online multiplayer games started to get boring after like like 15 years so I mostly just go on steam sale bargain sprees every time and I end up playing a fair bit of single player ones.

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #45 of 971
  Still there is a reason why platformers are easier with analogue joysticks then WASD. In a lot of games all you want is to change direction quick then WASD works. It´s not tricky to navigate yourself around a corner like it´s to do some of the stunts in super mario 3D. And of course aiming is just faster and more precise and accurate with a mouse.

Games like Thief for example the ability to control your walking speed give gamepads an edge. You shouldn´t have to aim anywhere or you are doing things wrong so yes analogue joysticks allow for more controlled movements then WASD. The limited set of buttons forces the game to be more streamlined for good and bad. 

Yeah certain platformers, but not all, are generally easier with a controller.  Although Thief isn't a very good example, because in this game you will be pointing your character in the direction you want to go.  Although its platforming is very limited, which is why I used Dishonored as an example as it's a similar but far more complex game.  The platforming in this game relies a lot on aiming, so mouse provides a huge edge especially since the platforming is combined with pressing a key or button to climb a ledge, and/or mid-air attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back