Are you a cable person?
May 27, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #121 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, you guys have got to admit that placebo has its effects in the audio world, and that the power of placebo can be quite amazing.

Absolutely, the placebo effect comes into play all through our lives in all areas. When I hear a passage and a particular note that was somewhat fuzzy become sharper or more distinct with a non-stock cable, yet I swap back the old cable and it goes fuzzy and the soundstage compresses somewhat, I have to believe it's not a placebo effect.

Paraphrasing someone earlier, unless one really listens and knows the instruments, song, etc. these types of little differences can be easily overlooked. I have to be focused on the music to decompose the instruments and hear the subtle passages. If I'm surfing the web, composing messages, etc. forget it.

May 27, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #122 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to believe you but I'm afraid I can't take this on faith. It's not been quantified and therefore I think you are deluding yourself.

I actually borrowed the HD650 with Equinox cable from a headfi member who could verify it but this is just getting stupid. I can't "quantify" it?
blink.gif
and you're picking up on me using the letter 'c' instead of 'k' in Kaput which is an absent minded typo.

May 27, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #123 of 199
Quote:

Exactly, and the implication is that if I can hear a difference I must be deluding myself because I don't want to admit I spent some $ on cables. Total rubbish.

You say it's total rubbish but you don't say why.

Quote:

I'll be honest, if I'm not paying attention to the music so much, I'm not going to notice a difference. But, when I am paying attention, lights down low, the sound up, no distractions and I know the track, I can tell when something is pushed to the background or fuzzy. It is for those times when the cables show their value.

Well it sounds like you and your cables share some romantic moments. Just hope you don't practice Auto-erotic asphyxiation with a length of Nordust.

May 27, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #124 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrenzini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say it's total rubbish but you don't say why.

I think the subsequent paragraph explained why.

On another post, sarcasm was wasted. Oh well, I've had enough of this. Happy listening.

May 28, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #125 of 199
Quote:

When I hear a passage and a particular note that was somewhat fuzzy become sharper or more distinct with a non-stock cable, yet I swap back the old cable and it goes fuzzy and the soundstage compresses somewhat, I have to believe it's not a placebo effect.

Are you doing this totally in the blind so that you don't know which cable is which? If not you have just described a perfect example of a positive placebo effect!

May 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #126 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you doing this totally in the blind so that you don't know which cable is which? If not you have just described a perfect example of a positive placebo effect!

The next time your car/truck is in the shop, make sure that you request 2-3x mechanics to make sure that your repairs are done in the blind. You wouldn't mind footing that bill, would you?

Yeah, such tests have their place in academia, where time/cost doesn't matter, but the real world doesn't work that way. Experience and an open mind generate equivalent, acceptable results.

May 28, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #130 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We went into prohibited territory. The gestapo seems to have caught us!

I kid...I kid.

I sure hope you are are kidding, because deleting a series of posts without so much as a warning, or even a notation that the deletion occurred (!) is so shockingly inappropriate that I can't believe any moderator would actually do it...

May 28, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #131 of 199
Quote:

What happened to the last several posts in this thread? They seem to have disappeared..?

I would like to know as well.
Cause I am pretty sure there was more recent posts (from today) in here...

May 28, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #132 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything I know about physics and electronics tells me that any reasonably-made cable should sound exactly like any other. So, no, I don't believe any of the nonsense.

So what's your credentials? You claiming to know more about physics and electronics than everyone who believes in cables?
tongue.gif

Based on my past experience, I'm very wary of investing big money in interconnects or power cords. The ICs in my current main headphone rig cost $90 new, and the power cords are pretty standard 14 AWG (I think $14 total spent on them). Though, I wouldn't be averse to auditioning some expensive ICs in my system - that might be interesting since vinyl has changed the ballgame a bit around here.

I do like trying the different headphone replacement cables (when hardwiring's not involved) - that's where they can make a significant difference for me.

May 28, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #133 of 199
Quote:

Everything I know about physics and electronics tells me that any reasonably-made cable should sound exactly like any other. So, no, I don't believe any of the nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You claiming to know more about physics and electronics than everyone who believes in cables?

Whether he claims to or not, he apparently does.

May 28, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #134 of 199
Quote:

I sure hope you are are kidding, because deleting a series of posts without so much as a warning, or even a notation that the deletion occurred (!) is so shockingly inappropriate that I can't believe any moderator would actually do it...

I was kidding about the gestapo thing....but yes the posts were deleted. They were deleted because we mentionned DBT. No scientific method regarding cable testing is allowed here
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back