Are wireless headphones the future?
Oct 3, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #46 of 59
In reality how strong was this "push" before the iPhone 7? I don't think any other push was as strong as omitting the headphone jack on a phone that has as much appeal by an influential brand in the consumer electronics industry.

Why don't you look at the facts for a change, look at the sales numbers of Bluetooth headphones how they already outsells wired ones, and all without the mighty iPhone. So you can theorize all you want at the end of the day it won't matter.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 59
This isn't the first time something like this is happening, remember when the iMac removed the floppy disk drives? Remember when the MacBook Air removed the CD drive? 

The consequences were clear, all the other manufacturers followed suit. This will be no different.

MacBook air didn't remove the CD drive, it simply couldn't fit it, the new MacBook also omitted many input connections yet nobody followed them on that endeavor either. Like I've said no one care, but if you do that's OK too.:D

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #48 of 59
Why don't you look at the facts for a change, look at the sales numbers of Bluetooth headphones how they already outsells wired ones, and all without the mighty iPhone. So you can theorize all you want at the end of the day it won't matter.

Can you show me some links to your facts? I think we are all just theorizing as it's quite hard to say without a doubt when even statistics can be unreliable unless the sources are verified. I have done a search and it does not look like what you say is true from this article - http://www.businessinsider.sg/apple-iphone-7-wireless-headphones-sales-chart-2016-9/?r=US&IR=T#gjXCfJ6vEW9AGjyU.97

The graph if legit shows unit sales of wireless headphones are way below wired headphones although the dollar value is more because of how wireless headphones come at a premium. Of course price will go down once the tech get better, stuff just gets easier to make.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #50 of 59
This is from Apple itself:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/28/bluetooth-headphone-sales-surpass-others-for-first-time-with-apples-beats-in-top-spot

https://www.statista.com/chart/5733/headphone-sales-in-the-united-states/

My claim is about dollar figures not sold units.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #51 of 59
MacBook air didn't remove the CD drive, it simply couldn't fit it, the new MacBook also omitted many input connections yet nobody followed them on that endeavor either. Like I've said no one care, but if you do that's OK too.
biggrin.gif

I think you missed the point, the iPhone also removed the headphone port because of space constraints. In place of the headphone port is a barometric sensor, taptic engine and slightly larger battery.

I think the rest of the industry cared because when the CD drive was removed HP, Lenovo and the other PC laptop manufacturers also removed their CD drives.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #52 of 59
This is from Apple itself:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/28/bluetooth-headphone-sales-surpass-others-for-first-time-with-apples-beats-in-top-spot

https://www.statista.com/chart/5733/headphone-sales-in-the-united-states/

My claim is about dollar figures not sold units.

Well my claims are for unit sales because unit sales actually refer to the number of users of wireless or wired headphones.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #53 of 59

You'll feel different about having a skinny cable when you engage in physical activities (i.e. working out). I don't think the ceiling is sound quality or ease of pairing, have you seen the how quickly and easily the AirPods pair with the device? Or how we already have Bluetooth 4.0, AptX and AAC encoding? It's the fact of having to charge your earphones and the low capacity these batteries have. What would really advance wireless and frankly many other electronic devices is battery technology. Lighter, smaller, higher capacity and quicker charging batteries is the breakthrough we need.

I use headphones working out 3x/week, and I much prefer the cable to the hassle involved when I had wireless earphones (with aptX).  IF wireless solves its hassle/battery/inconvenience and sound quality problems, I'll jump on board, but not 'til then.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #54 of 59
Well my claims are for unit sales because unit sales actually refer to the number of users of wireless or wired headphones.

Well you not gonna find $5 earbuds as wireless, that is where wired will have a huge number advantage.But it is dollars what the industry cares for even if you don't. BT headphones tend to be "expensive" and that is where it beats the wired market . No there isn't flagship BT HPs for $4000 but that is an extremely niche market.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #55 of 59
I think you missed the point, the iPhone also removed the headphone port because of space constraints. In place of the headphone port is a barometric sensor, taptic engine and slightly larger battery.

I think the rest of the industry cared because when the CD drive was removed HP, Lenovo and the other PC laptop manufacturers also removed their CD drives.
Well if you referring to the "Ultrabook" class yes, the business, gaming, and multimedia models still retains them at least as option.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #57 of 59
Well you not gonna find $5 earbuds as wireless, that is where wired will have a huge number advantage.

This won´t last long – there´s already 10$ wireless bluetooth cables on Ebay... I would guess economy of scale to handle this issue within ~3 years. My prediction: in 5 years wired headphones will be a niche product.

May 15, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #59 of 59
The HD 1 Momentum 2 ,Being Bluetooth and the RS Sennheiser wireless series is beamed through a transmitter, still can anyone compare for me the audio quality? In the past Bluetooth was known to be the lesser audio HD. And today with the HD 1?? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back