Are wireless headphones the future?
Mar 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Watagump

Twizzler King
Last night on the ABC show Shark Tank, a guy appeared with a product where you design clothing into pockets that can carry all kinds of devices, route wires etc etc. The part I found very interesting came from Mark Cuban. He pretty much thinks the future is going to be all about wireless headphones. It really got me thinking about a few points.

These people are businessmen 1st and foremost, so instantly in my mind I didnt agree with him. I kept thinking, no way my TF10, or Image S4 would be replaced by wireless that would be better. Of course, this site and most of us consider sound quality the most important aspect. Then we have people that are not into the best SQ and might be happy with wireless.

So what do my fellow head-fi members think? Will wireless be the future?
Will wireless have superb SQ down the road, or do they already?
Do you see yourself going wireless?

These are just a few things to consider, lets discuss it. I want to see how the audiophile group and the non audiophiles are looking to the future.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 59
As far as I remember, right now, wireless are fine, but they will not sound as good as with cables, especially high quality ones. 
100$ interconnect > wireless. :)

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 59
That guy was nothing more than a patent troll.

As for wireless headphones and their potential, search the forum for opinions on the Sennheiser RS220. Although I haven't tried them, the RS220 have been described as sounding similar to a well-driven HD600. If that's indeed true, we've surpassed the point of wireless technologies being merely "good enough", at least for all but the most discerning listener. Of course, the RS220 retails for $600 and are full-sized, but improvements in the technology will allow for miniaturization and cost reductions over time.

So to answer your question: Yes, wireless is the future, whether we're ready for it or not. But I also think that wired products aren't going anywhere, at least in the short-term, as cost will still remain a concern for a while longer.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 59

Quote:
That guy was nothing more than a patent troll.
As for wireless headphones and their potential, search the forum for opinions on the Sennheiser RS220. Although I haven't tried them, the RS220 have been described as sounding similar to a well-driven HD600. If that's indeed true, we've surpassed the point of wireless technologies being merely "good enough", at least for all but the most discerning listener. Of course, the RS220 retails for $600 and are full-sized, but improvements in the technology will allow for miniaturization and cost reductions over time.
So to answer your question: Yes, wireless is the future, whether we're ready for it or not. But I also think that wired products aren't going anywhere, at least in the short-term, as cost will still remain a concern for a while longer.

Interesting post indeed. But it got me wondering how did Sennheiser manage to make the signal so clear? How long is the signal range? Also, does it require an amp? 

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 59
bluetooth

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 59
I never realized why bluetooth never got better? why cant they just transfer more information like wireless or something.. i guess when hd voice calls come there has to be something new for headsets than bluetooth other wise you cant cant hd voice calls.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 59
Go buy yourself a pair of  Sennheiser MM 100 bluetooth headphones. I bought a pair, haven't touched my Porta Pro's since, they sound smoother, more refined than the Porta Pro's even on the PA2V2! I just ordered a Creative Labs Bluetooth USB adapter with the apt-X profile on it, then I'm going to buy the Sennheiser MM500 bluetooth headphones, they accept the apt-X profile, and I'll see how they compare to the HD650.
But HELL YES I believe that wireless headphones are the future.
An interesting side note, my avatar was originally an advertisement for a pair of wireless Koss Headphones, hence the message. But really Try the MM100's they blew me away.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 59
Most definitely from a consumer market point of view. The technology for any formidable wireless headphone (forget Bluetooth or IR) is still to expensive right now and you are definitely not getting your money's worth in SQ compared to similarly priced headphones.

I once had the please of auditioning the Sennheiser MXW1, a very rarely mentioned and very rarely owned wireless headphone. At $600 they ain't cheap, it sounded nice but definitely did not have the SQ of a $600 headphone, more like a $200 headphone. Although it is one of the only consumer wireless headphones around they don't produce any hiss at all! They were also earbuds and not iems for some reason.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 59
Wait, you're talking about RF headphones? They are obsolete, bluetooth replaced them.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
Mark Cuban is WRONG on this issue:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WheCO4RgMGI&t=51m40s

Scott Jordan, CEO
www.scottevest.com

cool idea and you are very well composed and calculated, you were the shark in that tank

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 59

Quote:
Mark Cuban is WRONG on this issue:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WheCO4RgMGI&t=51m40s

Scott Jordan, CEO
www.scottevest.com

Hmmmm looking at your products I like it, although I believe that wireless is the future, your products offer a lot more than routing wires, Your SeV Revolution Plus is one minimalist yet feature packed jacket, I think I'll pick one up......

May 18, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 59
Blue tooth is almost there with the sound quality. I'm waiting or the first Bluetooth 4.0 headphones to pop up. The apt-x is still not all that. Kleer would be awesome if they were smart enough to license their own private spectrum instead of using the already crowded 2.4 ghz. I have a pair of RS180 with a RS160 transmitter and I get so much interference when walking down the street it is maddening. But not having wires snag on things is an excellent trade off. They sound amazing, better than most wired headphones. I just wish they didn't run over 2.4.

oh well, lets go bluetooth 4.0 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back