Are these "High End" Daps worth it? How big is the Jump?
Dec 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ev0lution

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
i just got a new pair of IEM's the Heir 5.0... even though i own them now for some time, i'm still blown away everytime i put 'em back in...
Right now i'm feeding those puppies from an 5.5g DIY Mod and powering them with my E17 wich is quite statisfying to my ear, i've already tried different Amps but to be honest, the differences are not thaaat big... in fact, i was not able to find an amplifier, that sounds better than the E17 (in the 150$ price range... haven't tried anything more expensive.... yet) for Portability im using my Hippo Cricri right now, wich sounds just as Good, but the battery life sucks....
Anyways; what i want to ask is, would a higher end DAP/DAC (Or maybe a differnt amp?) still make room for improvements? i've Tried using the E17 built in DAC a couple of times, even did some a/bing and i really was not able to make out any improvements, compared to the iMod, heck they sounded freakin' similiar =O 

btw i#m really eyeballing the sony ZX1 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 19
Get the fiio e12diy roll ad8620 or muse01 ,high gain, plug heir 5.0 in
Problem fixed :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 19
was considering the E12 DIY a couple of times... never tried it, though...
say, if would invest in an E12 would that thing be able to drive Planar magnetics? atleast halfway decent? I'm really looking a get a pair of Hifiman HE500's soon... (well as soon as my budget is high enough... lol) i know they have low impedance but for some reason they sounded kinda crappy straight off an iPhone (5) when i auditioned them at a friends house... 

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 19
I only have these two planar
Mad Dog - piece of cake
HE-6 - Got eaten like a cake

HD650 - decent but not great

I think HE-500 sits in between the first two

Sorry couldnt be more help

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 19
I thought u were looking for device to work with heir 5.0 and i get great result with e12diy really spacious and great texture revealed. I think the amp is fantastic for that price range you mention. I am not sure about driving full sized like he500 bcos i dont own them. I hope others can chime in.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 19
  Hi everyone,
i just got a new pair of IEM's the Heir 5.0... even though i own them now for some time, i'm still blown away everytime i put 'em back in...
Right now i'm feeding those puppies from an 5.5g DIY Mod and powering them with my E17 wich is quite statisfying to my ear, i've already tried different Amps but to be honest, the differences are not thaaat big... in fact, i was not able to find an amplifier, that sounds better than the E17 (in the 150$ price range... haven't tried anything more expensive.... yet) for Portability im using my Hippo Cricri right now, wich sounds just as Good, but the battery life sucks....
Anyways; what i want to ask is, would a higher end DAP/DAC (Or maybe a differnt amp?) still make room for improvements? i've Tried using the E17 built in DAC a couple of times, even did some a/bing and i really was not able to make out any improvements, compared to the iMod, heck they sounded freakin' similiar =O 

btw i#m really eyeballing the sony ZX1 
tongue_smile.gif

i used to use an ipod touch 4g with the e17, not imod though, and then I bought the ak100, thenthe Dx50. I can tell you this much, they do sound better , how much does this "better" is worth to you is up to you, I don't think the increase is that much though, the Dx50 is 250 bucks here, e17 is already 150 bucks , can't get an ipod alone wthout mods for 100 bucks so yeah

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 19
I thought u were looking for device to work with heir 5.0 and i get great result with e12diy really spacious and great texture revealed. I think the amp is fantastic for that price range you mention. I am not sure about driving full sized like he500 bcos i dont own them. I hope others can chime in.

Yep, my main concern, for now is to drive my Heir 5.0's, but im looking to buy a pair of Hifiman HE 500's soon, thats why im asking... having a all in one solution would be awesome :D

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 19
The problem with a high-end DAP is that they might not have a high-powered amp to drive your planar magnetic headphone.

I too have modded iPods -- a Video 5.5G and a Mini 2G (but only solid-state memory -- no iMod).  I found that getting an outboard amp like the E12 with many mWs helps tons with a planar magnetic like the Fostex T50RP.  I think you will want a decent amp to drive the HE 500 if you go portable with it.  

The other benefit of an outboard amp if chosen right is a low output impedance.  I'm guessing the Heir 5.0 has some interesting ohmage swings given that it is a BA, so an amp can help with that.  If I am using my Sony XBA-4 for music, I will use an E12 to tame its impedance curve. 

One thing I don't like about the stock E12 is that the high-gain switch is recessed, so one must keep a sharp object handy.  The Fiio E12DIY gain switch is much more convenient if one is switching back and forth between different headphones.  

EDIT:  Since you are already using an E17, you should try it with the HE 500 once you get it to see if it gives you the gain you need.  I'd only go with the E12 if you find the sound of the E17 lacking -- the E12 does sound better than the E17 (I started with the E17 and moved to the E12) and has a dedicated volume knob which is great.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Yep, my main concern, for now is to drive my Heir 5.0's, but im looking to buy a pair of Hifiman HE 500's soon, thats why im asking... having a all in one solution would be awesome :D

I also want an all-in-one portable solution but the cost will be quite high. Another popular solution that is discussed here is rockboxed ipod + centrance m8. There are many positive impressions in the corresponding threads

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 19
I also want an all-in-one portable solution but the cost will be quite high. Another popular solution that is discussed here is rockboxed ipod + centrance m8. There are many positive impressions in the corresponding threads

One can rockbox an iPod, and one can also use iPod Classics (6th gen or later) with the Centrance HiFi-M8, but it is not possible AFAIK to use an iPod running Rockbox with the M8.  Rockbox does not support the digital out that the M8 needs.

I've got the M8 and an iPod Video 5.5G running Rockbox.  My iPod doesn't have digital out, so I cannot use it with the M8 even with the stock OS.  I do recall someone on Head-Fi asking for this with the later models, though, and remember the answer was a no.  

What I want:  256GB internal storage with a device running parametric EQ.  That would do me just dandy.  I'm waiting on DMinor's test of a 256GB CF card in an iPod, and if that works, I'm thinking that in my iPod/Rockbox with a FiiO E12 would be ideal.  Until someone makes a high-end DAP with 256GB and parametric EQ, I will probably sit out.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 19

Are you saying that the hifiman 901 amp is not actually good enough to drive what you want? or at least some of them? or is there another problem?

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 19
  One can rockbox an iPod, and one can also use iPod Classics (6th gen or later) with the Centrance HiFi-M8, but it is not possible AFAIK to use an iPod running Rockbox with the M8.  Rockbox does not support the digital out that the M8 needs.

I've got the M8 and an iPod Video 5.5G running Rockbox.  My iPod doesn't have digital out, so I cannot use it with the M8 even with the stock OS.  I do recall someone on Head-Fi asking for this with the later models, though, and remember the answer was a no.  

Thanks for the info. I really have not been catching up with that thread...since no coaxial in
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 19

Are you saying that the hifiman 901 amp is not actually good enough to drive what you want? or at least some of them? or is there another problem?

HM-901 with balance card is the best all-in-one portable solution for me now but it is costly in the normal sense outside of head-fi.
tongue.gif
It motivates me to go to work so that I can listen to it when commuting. It also lures me to get out of office asap so that I can listen to it again...
biggrin.gif

I do not own HE-500 so I really do not know how they pair with 901 balance or anything else...

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 19

HM-901 with balance card is the best all-in-one portable solution for me now but it is costly in the normal sense outside of head-fi.
tongue.gif
It motivates me to go to work so that I can listen to it when commuting. It also lures me to get out of office asap so that I can listen to it again...
biggrin.gif

I do not own HE-500 so I really do not know how they pair with 901 balance or anything else...

Oh thanks, whats the most power hungry headphone have you tried with it ?

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 19
Oh thanks, whats the most power hungry headphone have you tried with it ?

HD650, drive them good but they are open so I never took them out.

I have not purchased upgrade cable for HD800 yet still trying to get familiar with them maybe I will buy an adapter to use with HM901 later... Just too many "to buy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back