Are these Audio Technica M50 fake?
Feb 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Oh my God, this thread is freaking me out, especially when some dude mentioned about "The box they come in is all WHITE with an el-cheapo big  plastic window."  Mine came in an almost white box with a big plastic window!
However, I felt a bit better when I saw the logo on the left can was not flipped like the presumably fake ones which where shown in another thread.

Here are pictures of my cans, can you guys verify if they are genuine? Thanks!

Yours are the M50 ( coiled cable) not the M50s ( straight cable). The M50s that I saw was the M50s with all "white" box. There is also another M50  version with the blue and tan colour on a nice flap that cover half of the plastic window ,only half of the cans can be seen thru the plastic window. 

No matter how and what, as long as you bought from an authorized dealer and they sound good . Who cares? Enjoying them.

and they are to be opened like the other A700/A900

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
Oh my God, this thread is freaking me out, especially when some dude mentioned about "The box they come in is all WHITE with an el-cheapo big  plastic window."  Mine came in an almost white box with a big plastic window!
However, I felt a bit better when I saw the logo on the left can was not flipped like the presumably fake ones which where shown in another thread.

I have the same version. Bought them from an authorized dealer, it feels and sounds high quality and nothing about them seems fake, so I'm pretty sure they're real. Also, I bought a turntable from Audio-Technica that had a box that looked very similar to the headphone's box, so that's a good sign.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
I've bought 10+ headphones from BH Photo.  

Which is the best shipping method you recommend? Purlator with custom fees already charged?

I mean with USPS option at the least I have a chance of getting off on the customs if not then I just pay up.

I am just cheaping out because I am already down $100USD, hopefully I get the money back. Also wondering should I have known these were fake by the price?

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #22 of 32
I need some serious help. Paypal wants documentation to prove to the m50's are fake. I have no idea where to go for it. I don't have the time or the money to spend going out of my way to get documentation. Anyone know what options I have. The closest authorized dealer is like 1.5 hours away. And they need documentation before March 5th. Also I am located in Ontario, Canada.

Here is paypal's message:
Quote:
To continue, we need documentation supporting your claim that the item is
not authentic.

Here’s what you need to do.

1. Obtain a document from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer,
appraiser, or an organization that is qualified in the area of the item in
question (other than you). This document should contain the following:
•       Detailed description as to why the item is not authentic (i.e., how the
item differs from an authentic item, how the person evaluating the item
determined that it is not authentic, etc.).
•       If possible, the document should include a serial number and must be on
letterhead that includes the name, address, and phone number of the
authenticating party so that we can contact them directly, if necessary.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 32
Got a pair of M50s infront of me. When it comes to the actual plastic molds, yours are pretty accurate, just very poorly molded. Structurally, your headphones look like they're going fall apart. All the seams are very loose, especially in the last photo near the headband joints. The screws used in the joint are different from mine.

Can you take off the pads and show us what they look like without them? There should be a small white sticker on each can under the pad. Mine says "1010".

Quote:
I need some serious help. Paypal wants documentation to prove to the m50's are fake. I have no idea where to go for it. I don't have the time or the money to spend going out of my way to get documentation. Anyone know what options I have. The closest authorized dealer is like 1.5 hours away. And they need documentation before March 5th. Also I am located in Ontario, Canada.

Here is paypal's message:

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #26 of 32
everything that I could see looked legit except for one thing:

This could simply be because of the camera, but the questionable headphones look like the part that is circled is plastic, while mine (purchased from an authorized dealer) are pleather in that place.

Questionable headphones from OP:                                   My headphones purchased from authorized dealer:

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #29 of 32
For god's sakes people, just get a cross screwdriver and pop one side open, it takes 2 minutes, you won't break / rip anything unless you don't have fingers, and it saves you all this time worrying and taking nearly useless photos that don't prove anything.

Real M50's have a "125B" sticker on the driver, and the exposed silicon chip is gray and brown. Fake M50's don't have the "125B" sticker, and the silicon chip is green.

You don't even need to pop open the inner plastic cover, just take a flashlight and peep inside after removing the pleather.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #30 of 32

Quote:

i bought my m50's from an authorized reseller (long and mcquade) and mine came in a box just like yours. i think you can spot a fake by looking at the stitches on the headband and ear cups, they're suppose to be really close together and barely noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back