Are these Audio Technica M50 fake?
Feb 10, 2011 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ha9981

New Head-Fier

Sound gets bad at high volume and even at low volume the "s" sound trailing hard. I find the bass and sound quality under my Nuforce NE 7M in ear monitors. They are apparently brand new and have really bad plastic as there are bubbles or bumps in the trenches surrounding the ring. Build feels like they are going to break and the silver rings are coming off. 

I am sure they are fake just want confirmation. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 32
I would ship them back regardless of legit status if you're dissatisfied with them, they look cheep as hell*being tricked with fake cans before* also try buying from a licensed vendor not just a vendor that buys from vendors hahaha.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 32
Your description reminds me of a fake pair I've come across.  Originally bought in Hong Kong for half the original price (...).  Luckily the person had let me audition them before buying.  I regret not taking pictures of them, to spread around and warn others.

Bad plastic finish was the first thing I noticed and wondered about.  Just compare it to images of the original and you'll easily notice a difference, as long as they're fake.

There's a thread on it here (you probably have seen already but here it is anyway)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513866/has-the-fake-ath-m50-arrived

Good luck

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 32
are the pads like super fost but thick, or rubbery, or thin? The pads on the legit ones are like a thicker leathert but it's still really soft almost real leather feeling.

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:

Sound gets bad at high volume and even at low volume the "s" sound trailing hard. I find the bass and sound quality under my Nuforce NE 7M in ear monitors. They are apparently brand new and have really bad plastic as there are bubbles or bumps in the trenches surrounding the ring. Build feels like they are going to break and the silver rings are coming off. 

I am sure they are fake just want confirmation. n

I saw the M50s this afternoon @ the Guitar Center and they look pretty much as what you have. The ear pads are wrinkled around the ear rings and they have an el-cheapo look. The box they come in is all WHITE with an el-cheapo big  plastic window. I know they are rated pretty high for the money but I did not have gut to buy them. I ended up ordering the Senn RS 180 for my TV listenning while waiting for the Shure Shr 940 in Spring time. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 32
Bro.. go to this website http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/385501769-Free-shipping-cheap-ATH-M50-Headphone-M50-ATHM50-headphones-black-color-wholesalers.html
and compare your headphones with that... The website is reselling FAKE ATH-M50's and if your box looks like that, then it is fake. If your logo looks like that, then it is fake. etc.
Remember, the link i just gave you is the FAKE headphones... just compare yours to the fake resellers pictures.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
Where did you get them from?

Ebay? (lots of fakes there) 
mad.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 32
I own a pair of M50s (listening to them right now) and yours are indeed fake (at least from what I can see). There should be gray writing around the metal ring that's on the outside of the cans. Can't see the writing in the pics so, just my two cents

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 32
let us see the headband, the real M50's have a meaty but not very soft headband and it's fairly well stitched the fakes just look sloppy.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 32
Oh my God, this thread is freaking me out, especially when some dude mentioned about "The box they come in is all WHITE with an el-cheapo big  plastic window."  Mine came in an almost white box with a big plastic window!
However, I felt a bit better when I saw the logo on the left can was not flipped like the presumably fake ones which where shown in another thread.

Here are pictures of my cans, can you guys verify if they are genuine? Thanks!

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 32
The headband looks legit, man if you're unhappy with them return them, tryout the HFI-580's you might like them better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back