Are there IEMs that can match full size headphones
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gHeadphone

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

The headphones i use most often are Etymotic EPT4s. They are convenient and i enjoy the sound from my Fiio X3.

However when i use my Denon AHD2000s i can pick out instruments that i cant with the ETYs. I also get better sound stage. I have a pair of Grado SR225i which also give more clarity (all using the X3).

As they ETYs are renowned for their clarity i wonder if its possible to get IEMs which match Full size headphones (in a similar price category).

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 10
Is this a dumb question or my ears fault or am i going slightly mad?

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Since Ety's are extremely revealing of source material, I wonder if you are driving them properly - either with a clean source or enough power - I've heard opinions that IEMs will never approach the sound of a full-size can - but data retrieval wasn't the reason behind the opinion....

You should hear a mouse fart in the studio with ER4's

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 10
  Is this a dumb question or my ears fault or am i going slightly mad?

I think it's a great question, and I have sub'd because I also wonder.  I just bought my first decent IEM, the Hifiman RE-400, and I am shocked at how good the sound and the experience are.  But they cannot compete with my full-sized cans (listed in my sig). I wonder if there is anything that can five a similar sense of scale.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 10
My UERM cannot compete with any of my full sized headphones I own unfortunately. It might do well in imaging but never in resolution.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Same here, I have Fitears 335SR, Aurisonics ASG2.5 and Shure SE846, 3 pretty high end IEMs, but my HD800 on my home rig is better in every aspect. I dream about an IEM which match the sound quality of my home rig, but it doesn't exist (yet?).

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 10
Depends what you`re looking for, scientifically speaking, human ears can hear 20-20k hz, however we can perceive lower frequencies by touch, If you want the visceral bass punch of a headphone, look for iems with a shallow insertion and a wide bore size such as the JVC FX700`s, most iems are made to isolate well so they insert quite deep, skipping out on our ability to feel bass, this issue exacerbated by the use of balanced armatures in most high end iems which move less air than dynamic drivers used in headphones. You mention sound staging, you must note that the er4s are known to have a small soundstage. This topic is very personal as everyone perceives sound stage differently, headphones undoubtedly have a larger soundstage, especially open or semi open designs, some vented iems will get close but will never reach the expansive sound stage of a larger circumaural headphones, the FX700`s are a good example again, having little isolation, large rear vents and recessed mids creating quite a broad sound. You also mention detail retrieval, now this is where in ears should have an advantage, being closer to the ear drum and in your case using a renowned ba with fast decay. What`s causing your instrument loss is probably the restricted extension of the single ba er4, a model I owned myself, which has pretty much no sub-bass and just shy of neutral mid bass. These iems are very detailed but also old and I find a lot of newer iems to have better sound quality and detail retrieval across the board. Audio Technica make some very detailed iems, namely the ck10 and ck100 (Grado like sound, hyper detailed and mid centric, more extended bass due to a good seal, use sony hybrid tips) which both sound fantastic with better detailing and vastly better extension than the er4`s combined with a relatively large soundstage of incredible depth due to their larger housings made of titanium which is good for resonance, etc. I also find the Sennheiser ie800`s very good in almost every regard except microphonics, they have good isolation, very good soundstage depth and width, balanced sound spectrum, the most extension I`ve heard from any iem and probably the best clarity too, they don`t slam details in your face lik AT models but they do actually carry more information, especially the slightly boosted sub-bass which is quite engaging and easily lost in noisy environments. The AT models can be found around your price range second hand, the FX700`s (aggressive sounding=good detailing) which I highly recommend are also around $200 or less depending on how good your deal is and the ie800`s will run you for a bit more but their price is decreasing rapidly, already half rrp new.  

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Yes, the Shure SE846. It sounds better than most full sized headphones on the market. Only headphones in the leagues of the Sennheiser HD800 are better. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 10
There is no iem I have heard or owned in the past that surpasses my headphone so I would say no

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 10
  Since Ety's are extremely revealing of source material, I wonder if you are driving them properly - either with a clean source or enough power - I've heard opinions that IEMs will never approach the sound of a full-size can - but data retrieval wasn't the reason behind the opinion....

You should hear a mouse fart in the studio with ER4's

Man, dem quality words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back