Are there any portable audio players that can output the 10-20Hz range?
Nov 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mrbiggles

New Head-Fier
hi head-fi folks,

i bought a pair of ultimate ears triplefi 10's about three years ago and they finally died on me recently. owning them really improved my life significantly as i was able to be immersed in my music wherever i was, not to mention the product was of higher quality than any other i had bought previously.

i decided i wanted some customs this time as the only issue i had with the triplefi's was that they did start to become uncomfortable after listening for extended periods (several hours). so i went back to the ultimate ears page and saw that they had been acquired by logitech. i started reading reviews again and randomly discovered that jerry harvey had left as a result of the acquisition and started his own company.

i started looking at the jh range. i want a three way product and am prepared to spend quite a bit of cash so even the jh16 is an option.

the top end (jh16,13,11) all have a frequency response starting at 10Hz. all the portable audio players i have looked at so far have a frequency response starting at 20Hz, this means i would miss out on the bottom end these monitors are capable of, not that is a huge deal i guess but i was just wanting to know if it really is a waste of time to consider them if i can't find a personal audio player capable of frequencies 10-20Hz.

the other thing i noticed when looking through the jh range was impedance; the jh16, 11 ( and 10x3 ) have an impedance of 18, but the jh11 have a much higher rating of 28 Ohms. i looked up impedance but i don't know how this actually relates to the sound the device would produce. if anyone could give me a concise explanation i would be most grateful.

has anyone listened to both the jh13 and jh11 pro? if so can you tell me about the difference in sound?

another thing is headphone amplifiers; i did not know that these existed until recently and to be honest don't see the point. when i was using my triplefi's i always had to turn down the level if i was using a device someone else had at 'normal' volume. so if these monitors get more from the output than lesser quality products why do you need an amp?

finally if anyone would care to share an opinion about sensaphonics 2max earphones i am interested ( i know it is a two way device ).

best regards,

m. biggles

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 3
An excellent, in-depth review of the Sensaphonics 2MAX by Chris Martens, here:

http://www.avguide.com/review/sensaphonics-2max-custom-fit-ear-monitor-playback-36

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 3
You can hardly hear down to 20hz and you only really feel the lower freqs than that, so I woudn't worry too much about getting that low. Get a nice amp, DAC and SACD or CD player and you will probably get that low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back