Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers?
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 23

I sold the one in the pics for around $300.
Quote:
???????

What does this have to do with the original question?

I don't quite understand this recommendation. I'm sure it is a nice amp, but the OP mentions a budget of $200, possibly as much as $300. The SQ-84 is over $1000 new - http://soundapproach.com/soundquestsq84v2integratedheadphoneampwremotevolum-p-1440.html And I have a hard time believing they drop under $300 used, or that they even appear on the used market very often at all (there are none on Audiogon right now, for example). 

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 23
I picked up a used set of speakers locally - "Monitor Audio Bronze B2" - and paid about $100 for them. They're designed to be used as studio monitors. A pretty compact and very well-sounding speaker. Look for something pretty effective, with a sensitivity rating around 100dB or higher if you want the little A1 to play them loud. With my wall-mounted monitors (One 6.5" unit and a 1" tweeter) I don't even have to crank the A1 to 50% volume to wake up the kids and piss off my wife. I LOVE that I only need one small amp on my desk to drive headphones and speakers. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
I'm set on getting some speakers, but would love it if I could get some amps for them that could go with some headphones (Koss DJ 100, Grado, among other cheap ones). I honestly would not care if the amp isn't designed for a specific set or type of headphones. If the amp is just 'good' with headphones and speakers, that would be great

For under $200, are there any good headphone/speaker amps? If not, I guess I'd be willing to spend $300 if that's the case.

I mentioned the audioengine N-22 amp earlier; http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22.  They are very well made and provide 22 watts RMS with very little distortion.  These things really sound good when paired with the right speakers (the audio engine P4 are a good match but there are plenty of small bookshelf speakers that work well).  The one thing I wasn't as certain of in my earlier post is how good the headphone amp is.  I recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohm) cans and they sound great with the N-22 amp.  It works with cans from between 16 and 600 ohms.  This is a really good desktop A/B amp that simply does not get hot because it is upright with nice cooling vents. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 23
You will need powered speakers. Look for some pro audio monitor speakers with built-in amplifiers.

Also, look at pro audio headamps. Benchmark makes some good ones, but if you can find a used AKG HEARO 999 Audiosphere II like I have, then you have a headamp, wireless amp and headset, surround processors for headphones and home theater, high quality DAC, and ability to function as a preamp and drive the powered monitors. It will be less money than the Benchmark and overall more versatile.

I repeat, your best bets are in the pro audio line of components. They use headamps for preamps all the time, or preamps for headamps, whichever you prefer.

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #22 of 23
I use a vintage Marantz 2215 receiver with small speakers in a small room I use for a home office.  Also, what about the MingDa tube amp??  Looks like it has connections for speakers as well as a DAC

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
You can check out the Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2

+1. I also have a vintage Pioneer SA7500II that I use as both a speaker amp and headphone amp. I think vintage is a logical way to go since most vintage integrated amps have a good reputation of being superb headphone drivers while being able to handle speakers as well. Depending on your headphones the Musical Paradise MP-301 is also an excellent choice, if you're happy with tube amps. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back