Are there any Audeze cans that sound like Hifiman?
May 17, 2020 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dawnrazor

500+ Head-Fier
So I was talking to my buddy and he was saying while I had great credit (over 825) it was basically from one source and he suggested I try to get a few other sources so when I buy my house in the next year or 2 I will have even better credit.

Well I was thinking about some headphones to buy and was probably going to get the Aryas based on the reviews. I decided not to because I have the M1060 and M1060c and they are heavily modded and before you judge thinking I like 5k ringing, I don't know anyone who has done these particular mods. Anyhow they sound fantastic.

But my buddy got me thinking that if my audio habit could help me financially it would be too good to pass up.

Now Audeze has a financing program with Affirm where you can make monthly payments. So that could be an extra place of credit. So I was thinking about some of their cans. My m1060s are modded to be super clean and neutral. Not analytical exactly but based on the reviews like the Sundara but with more bass. Just clean fast and pure. However the Audeze cans seem super colored with the word "dark" being applied alot. Are there any Audeze cans that are just pure? Also I like a wide soundstage and that is one mod I did to the m1060s and m1060c to widen the soundstage. So which Audezes are clean fast and wide?

May 17, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 20
You could try the MX4. It’s Audeze’s headphone designed for professional studio monitoring. I personally didn’t care for them but I know some people like them. I think they’re the least warm headphone in the upper end Audeze headphones. I like my LCD4z a lot better but you may feel that they’re warm. IMO, the 4z isn’t dark.

May 17, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 20
You could try the MX4. It’s Audeze’s headphone designed for professional studio monitoring. I personally didn’t care for them but I know some people like them. I think they’re the least warm headphone in the upper end Audeze headphones. I like my LCD4z a lot better but you may feel that they’re warm. IMO, the 4z isn’t dark.
Thanks. Will try to check it out. Not sure I want a studio monitor though. Those seem cold and clinical. Thats not what I have now or what I want. Also don't monitors relegate soundstage to the last checkbox?

May 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 20
The best Audeze headphones are the LCD 4 and 4z. Why don’t you try one of those? I own the 4z, it’s fast, and detailed with deep tight bass. It provides a wide and deep soundstage with excellent imaging. I don’t find it bright at all. The 4z is more efficient but it still requires a really good desk top amp to sound its best.

May 17, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 20
The best Audeze headphones are the LCD 4 and 4z. Why don’t you try one of those? I own the 4z, it’s fast, and detailed with deep tight bass. It provides a wide and deep soundstage with excellent imaging. I don’t find it bright at all. The 4z is more efficient but it still requires a really good desk top amp to sound its best.
Ok I can look into that.

Thanks,

May 17, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 20
Yikes. I can get some abyss cans for that money. Any other options in the line say 1k less?

May 17, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 20
I've got a fistful of HFM cans, and the only Audeze I really go for is the LCD4. Expensive, needs juice, but it's headphone royalty. The LCD3 might possibly fit you, but 4 and 4z (which I know less) are quite stellar.

May 17, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 20
if you are buying audeze just because of affirm then i would suggest you buy your headphones from one of the dozens of online stores out there that offer payment plans instead limiting yourself to audeze.

To name a few: headphones.com, bloomaudio.com, upscaleaudio.com, audio46.com. heck even amazon and ebay will offer payment plan.
Figure out a headphone from any manufacturer that is matching your preference and just buy that. you may even find a good deal in b-stock, used or sales

as far as audeze goes look into lcd-gx and lcd-1. there are not as dark as the lcd2c and lcd2

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 20
Unpopular opinion probably, but I think the Audeze Sine sounds close to the Hifiman sound. It sounds relatively close to the HE-400i, which is a little brighter sounding than my HE-500. Sadly, they discontinued the OG Sine so the Sine DX might be the runner up for that IMO.

May 18, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 20
The only Audeze I’ve ever tried that didn’t have the classic Audeze tuning (godspeed uppermids) is the LCD-1...the new one mind you. I haven’t tried the original LCD-1..but then again who has?
Anyway it kinda sounds like a Sundara:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 20
if you are buying audeze just because of affirm then i would suggest you buy your headphones from one of the dozens of online stores out there that offer payment plans instead limiting yourself to audeze.

To name a few: headphones.com, bloomaudio.com, upscaleaudio.com, audio46.com. heck even amazon and ebay will offer payment plan.
Figure out a headphone from any manufacturer that is matching your preference and just buy that. you may even find a good deal in b-stock, used or sales

as far as audeze goes look into lcd-gx and lcd-1. there are not as dark as the lcd2c and lcd2

Good point. Also Audio46 gives a first time buyer discount of 10% (last I checked)

May 18, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 20
I just bought the LCD4 and, wow, best cans I have ever heard. Big thumbs up on this suggestion by SteveM324.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 20
No headphone is just "pure" they're all coloured in their own way. Hifiman headphones always have some extra treble zing, with a plasticity timbre(newer models)

Audeze phones have a linear sound with some upper mid dips, slightly lush presentation, good heft and sustain in the bass. Out of Audeze range, in my opinion the only ones worth looking at are the LCD-4 and LCD-2.

May 18, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 20
I just bought the LCD4 and, wow, best cans I have ever heard. Big thumbs up on this suggestion by SteveM324.

Among non stat cans its probably 2nd after the Abyss Phi, I have not heard the Susavara. Including e-stats? Voce and 007 I'd put above the LCD4.

May 18, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Among non stat cans its probably 2nd after the Abyss Phi, I have not heard the Susavara. Including e-stats? Voce and 007 I'd put above the LCD4.
That's cool, but I absolutely love the sound signature of the lcd4s. It's what I've been searching for. With the bryston bha1 and the benchmark dac3 behind the lcd4s, they can't be beat in my book.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back