Are the HD595's any good?
Jul 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
the Hd555 drivers are inside the hd595

the difference in sound comes from design, not the drivers.  Also, if you are considering the 555/595, you should stop right now and go get the AD700

I wonder if threads of HD5x5 vs AD700 will get as annoying as other (in)famous battles (HD650 vs K701 for example or pro/anti K701)....

Anyways if bass is a concern the 5x5 are probably a better choice since the AD700 bass quantity is pretty small, smaller than the 5x5 which have a little less bass than neutral. If anything the HD5x5 and the AD700 are about the same level, and there are quite a few people that prefer the 5x5, myself included.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 25
I've had the 595's for a long time - they do get a decent soundstage once you amp them (I used a Headroom Micro), but they lack a wow factor - their soundstage is medium, their FR is unoffensive but lacks wow factor (no punchy bass or sparkling highs) and I understand they're still pretty expensive these days. At the same time they don't have any glaring flaws either, no huge bass rolloff or no soundstage etc.... 

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
I've had the 595's for a long time - they do get a decent soundstage once you amp them (I used a Headroom Micro), but they lack a wow factor - their soundstage is medium, their FR is unoffensive but lacks wow factor (no punchy bass or sparkling highs) and I understand they're still pretty expensive these days. At the same time they don't have any glaring flaws either, no huge bass rolloff or no soundstage etc.... 

I've said this often but it's always worth repeating.

The headphone is not supposed to have wow factor, punchy bass or sparkling highs. It's the music that should have the wow factor, and real music doesn't have sparkling highs. In fact when you hear live music from a reasonable distance (up close is something else) the first thing you notice is the lack of sparkling highs. If the 555/595 sounds boring, as some people maintain, it's because it doesn't add the colourations certain other headphones do (no names, no packdrill)--the colourations some listeners have become addicted to. For anyone considering phones in that price range, I would urge them to first listen to some live acoustic music before choosing. It's the acid test.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #20 of 25
The day I bought my first set of HD595

"Hmm, these are very clear, lacking a bass though.  I like it!"

the day i first bought the AD700

"What...the...I didn't know this type of soundstage was possible"

good day

-swbf2cheater

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
the Hd555 drivers are inside the hd595

the difference in sound comes from design, not the drivers.  Also, if you are considering the 555/595, you should stop right now and go get the AD700

The whole reason I'm not buying the AD700's is because I've been told on here that they lack more bass than the 5x5's.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 25
I sold my HD555 for a pair of beyers and after few months, I reallyreally regretted that. HD555 super warm sound, tight deeb bass, detail... Hated that plastic peace of **** contruction though.. I had to buy HD600, I LOVE them :)

Sound great on my Auzentech X-FI Forte souncard, no external amp but that soundcard drives these just fine.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
I've said this often but it's always worth repeating.

The headphone is not supposed to have wow factor, punchy bass or sparkling highs. It's the music that should have the wow factor, and real music doesn't have sparkling highs. In fact when you hear live music from a reasonable distance (up close is something else) the first thing you notice is the lack of sparkling highs. If the 555/595 sounds boring, as some people maintain, it's because it doesn't add the colourations certain other headphones do (no names, no packdrill)--the colourations some listeners have become addicted to. For anyone considering phones in that price range, I would urge them to first listen to some live acoustic music before choosing. It's the acid test.

I didn't mean no wow factor as a bad thing, merely an observation. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 25
The OP is looking for some decent bass, so the choice is clear.

No need to argue about which is "better", just what fits the OP's preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back