Are the Etymotic ER-4Ps a significant step up from the HF5s?
Mar 5, 2011 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Zafonic

Head-Fier
I have a pair of HF5s at the moment and am very happy with them.  I listen to mostly vocals, songs with acoustic guitar, and rockpop and have never found the 'bass issue' an issue :wink:

This is my only pair though so I'd like to buy another pair of IEMs to keep as a back up or alternate with.

I like the sound characteristics of Etymotics, although I admit not having tried a high end Shure or Westone.  

I've never tried the ER-4Ps so would like to know from those who have both or have tried both: is there a definite increase in clarity and audio quality with the more expensive ER-4Ps?  Or is the difference minimal or even a different sound characteristic?

I would be using them with an iPod Touch mainly.  The price difference is a big consideration; I don't mind spending the extra if I knew the quality would be better. 

Thanks! :)

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 36
I've got the HF5's and the ER4S's. The ER4S's have just slightly less bass quantity and slightly more detail. Just get a 100 ohm impedance adapter (I tried it with the 75 ohm, and the 100 ohm was much more of an improvement) for your HF5's, and you'll be just fine. The ER4S (I haven't heard the P) is definitely better, but in most cases, probably not worth buying another set of IEMs.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 36
Thank you for all the replies.

Sorry for my ignorance but what would a 100 ohm impedance adaptor do and where would I buy one from (I'm in the UK)?

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 36

It makes the HF5's require power, but it makes them sound alot better too. At least in my experience. They sound great without it too, but it's a $10 addition that's well worth the investment.

Quote:
Thank you for all the replies.

Sorry for my ignorance but what would a 100 ohm impedance adaptor do and where would I buy one from (I'm in the UK)?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
Thanks - I've never tried Westone.  I like the clarity and detail of the Etys hf5....would the UM2 be anywhere near this?

Gotta get to bed now! :)

No. The UM2 (or just about any Westone for that matter) will sound muddy and midbass-heavy compared to an Etymotic. I'd suggest Shure or maybe the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 (though the fit is a pain in the ass). Look around and see if anyone is selling them for under $150 (I got mine for $99 on Amazon's black friday sale, but they sound better than the $349 Westone 3 in my opinion. Much more detailed).

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
Thanks - I've never tried Westone.  I like the clarity and detail of the Etys hf5....would the UM2 be anywhere near this?

Gotta get to bed now! :)

No, the W2 is the one to get.  UM2 is a bit muddy.

The Shures generally have rolled off treble so they will sound nothing like the Etys.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 36
So would I be right in assuming that the Westone W2 have a similar clarity to the Etys but give a better overall sound performance?

I've not heard really high end Shures btw - e.g. 420 or 530 

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 36
"Better overall sound performance" is really subjective. What do you value in an IEM's sound sig? If you're happy with your HF5's as it is, maybe you should experiment with EQ'ing them (and getting that impedance adapter).

I haven't heard any Westones, so I can't comment on them.

EDIT: What about the Phonak PFE or Perfect Bass? The OP could get one of those and the filters for the other and experiment with it that way. 1 IEM, 3 different sound sigs, right? I haven't heard them, but I do have a brand new set of the Perfect Bass IEMs sitting in my room. They're for my girlfriend, but as much as I want to, I can't just open them up and try them.

Quote:
So would I be right in assuming that the Westone W2 have a similar clarity to the Etys but give a better overall sound performance?

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:

Yes, that is correct.  Coming from HF5's...W2 is a huge upgrade.  My favorite IEM in its price range.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 36
Well, I haven't heard the W2, but I heard the W3, UM3X and ES3X and I think ER4 P/S beats them all. It's simply the most balanced, detailed and accurate IEM I've ever heard. HF5 is very close to the ER4P. Phenomenal value for the money IMO.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 36
It boils down to what the OP is looking for.  I would agree that ER4 beats all in detail retreival but that's where it ends.  In terms of soundstage, musicality/naturalness, and fullness of sound most all IEM's priced at or over $200 destroy the ER4 in these criteria.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 36
I secon the w2 recommendation, depending on what you're looking for, I moved from the hf5 to w2 and was very impressed, so should you be, they just sound more musical to me without losing clear presentation the ety's have. Also, it may be placebo (I didn't have both at any one time), but I hear more extension on their range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back