Are Studio Beats by Dr Dre really that bad?
Dec 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Wars

New Head-Fier
Hi

Im new to the forum, and I listen to music everyday; on the way to school.

Ive only had the Apple "stock" headphones that came with my iPhone, a pair of inkd skullcandy in ears (which broke in a week, I should've known better from them...) and a pair of Samsung headphone, which don't work with my iPhone...

I was looking into some studio beats, but after reading some reviews, im having mixed thoughts about it. I listen to a littl bit of everything, dubstep to pop to R&B to instrumental.

So I was wondering if the beats are really that bad, like some people say they ant hear no bass ect. 

They are $600+NZD so that's a lot to spend, but I'm going to Singapore soon and can get them for $420SGD/NZD 1:1 currency pretty much. Or if there are any good, sleek looking substitutes to them? 
Im not a huge music listener but would like something that plays all round music well.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 29
I've used Beats Studio before, demo in the apple store via iTouch, HM-601, and S:FLO2, and heres what I think:

- DEFINITELY not an all-rounder, just way too much bass.
- Isn't as bad as people think it is.
- Performs favorably compared to $75-100 headphones, and some $150 headphones (USD prices).
- Isolation is very meh even with active noise cancelling. Definitely not listenable on buses or roads with any traffic at all, and would be horrendous in subways.  Comparable with the ES10s - you have to greatly increase volume, to the point where it can definitely affect your hearing. You also lose out in tons of detail, dynamics, everything. Thats why I'm going custom IEMs.
- Rather similar to my ES10 in character, though the ES10 has it beaten clearly in basically every aspect. However, the ES10s are $400 USD. The ES10s are similar also in the way that you pay for looks. Paying for looks is a totally personal thing, and its fine by me.
- Paying more than $150 (as much as $200. or in fact, whatever you want) is fine given that its brand new and you REALLY like its aesthetics (I personally hate it and would pretty much never buy Beats because of it), but aesthetics and style is priceless and can be used to justify almost anything.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 29
@Eric, they are on the apple online store for S$420?
http://store.apple.com/sg/product/H6384LL/A/Monster-Beats-Studio-Headphones-by-Dr-Dre?fnode=MTc0MjU4ODc

@kana, thanks for that. I guess aesthetics is a big thing, because if they look terrible I'm most likely not going to wear them. When I next go into Harvey Norman (electronics store) I'll try them with a few style of music. Im not the kind of person that picks up every single detail of the music. Not like OMG that notes 1 key off ect. But I do like a little crispness? Of music.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 29
The problem with the beats studio is that they're extremely overpriced. When you buy them, you pay a lot for their design and the beats logo on them. I personally think they are worth 100$ or less (I tried my friend's pair). They're definitely basshead's headphones, and the reason people buy them is that most "casual" audio consumers judge headphones mainly by their bass quantity.

Quick answer: You can find MUCH, MUCH better in the same price range. Just don't buy these.

Edit (regarding your last post): They aren't "crisp" at all, they are muddy. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
The problem with the beats studio is that they're extremely overpriced. When you buy them, you pay a lot for their design and the beats logo on them. I personally think they are worth 100$ or less (I tried my friend's pair). They're definitely basshead's headphones, and the reason people buy them is that most "casual" audio consumers judge headphones mainly by their bass quantity.

Quick answer: You can find MUCH, MUCH better in the same price range. Just don't buy these.

Edit (regarding your last post): They aren't "crisp" at all, they are muddy. 

I actually wonder - perhaps the Beats could be less muddy if the bass were EQ'd down to a flatter curve. I still don't think that it would make it anything near a great headphone, but it may improve tonal balance enough to make it 'good'

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
@Eric, they are on the apple online store for S$420?
http://store.apple.com/sg/product/H6384LL/A/Monster-Beats-Studio-Headphones-by-Dr-Dre?fnode=MTc0MjU4ODc

Wow. That's a lot cheaper than I've ever seen them.
Anyway I hope you're searching the forums for opinions. Many more people have expressed their views on the Beats before, so relying on this thread alone may not get you very far.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 29
Hmm, I last tried them a few weeks ago, and they didn't sound too bad, I guess that's in comparison to apple headphones.

@Kana, that's exactly what I was thinking, changing the EQ on the phone to make them less bass heavy.

I realize 75% of the cost you pay is for the Monster/Beats Name Logo.

Its the same with apple, probably costs $100 to make an iPhone 4S, with a 1000% mark up, but you are getting a quality production return.

So what good alternatives are there? I googled ES10s and I guess I don't like the look of them. I'm probably budgeting up to the price of beats.

Oh and edit: Eric, yeah that's what I thought, they are $620NZD and 1NZD=1SGD.

I have searched through a few posts, a lot of them having trolls, but it's getting there 

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:

Its the same with apple, probably costs $100 to make an iPhone 4S, with a 1000% mark up, but you are getting a quality production return.

Hah except with the beats, you're not really getting a "quality product" in return for the mark up.

Also regarding how much the iPhone 4S really costs: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395035,00.asp

Just saying man. Just read through the forum some more. It's ultimately your money, but better function AND form can be had for that kind of money.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 29
@Über, thanks for the link, quite interesting. The IP4S is 1100 for 16gb +100 for every model up.

I will read through some more forums, see if there are any good headphones that looks nice.

Thanks all

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 29
Beats aren't bad in the sense that they are much much better than your apple earphones overall, but they arent worth a quarter of their price tag.  Its been a few months since I demo'd them but I remember incredibly uncontrolled muddy bass that just overpowered anything else.  The quality of them is also in question as many people complain that the headband begins to crack after a year or so. They are, however, incredibly comfortable but you could just grab some beyerdynamic phones if you just want comfortability.  There are plenty of other headphones/headphone setups at the 420$ (or even worse $620 in your case) that do what the beats do, but do them much better.  The beats tour iems, on the other hand, aren't as bad as the studios.  The bass is much more controlled on them and the overall clarity of the music is much improved IMHO.  If you absolutely need fancy and/or comfortable headphones then the beats would be alrite, but if you're just strictly looking for good quality music you'd best holdoff on them.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 29
what everyone said and I think a simply beyerdynamic dt770 or 880 or denon d2000 sounds better than their $500 model. Ive tried all three as i have friends who are easily swayed by rappers what they see on tv. I hear nothing but bass and theyre not that comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back