Are Sony MDR-F1 worth anything?
Mar 12, 2011 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FearSC549

500+ Head-Fier
It seems like this can is rarely mention on Head-Fi (I searched on the site), how good are they? Also, how much are they worth(used in good condition) and how about used but with worn-out pads? I might be able to get a pair on a price which I don't know if it's a good price point of not. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 19

Quote:

Not to be rude, but yeah of course I know how to look up prices on Google. However, those prices are for brands new headphones and due to demand/economy, the prices vary (especially if it's used). 

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 19
Google is your friend...
http://www.google.nl/#hl=nl&source=hp&biw=1431&bih=851&q=Sony+MDR-F1++review&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=d57615e152ae008f
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/49256/sony-mdr-f1-review

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 19
If the price is reasonable the MDR F1 is worth it at least as a collecter item. From what I read the Sony seemed sensitive for a good set up.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 19
Are the MDR-F1's drivers not suppose to touch your ears? Like basically they float on your head and the only thing touching your head is the headband and the earpad? Or are the drivers suppose to be pressed against your ear?

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Are the MDR-F1's drivers not suppose to touch your ears? Like basically they float on your head and the only thing touching your head is the headband and the earpad? Or are the drivers suppose to be pressed against your ear?

Yes, the pads touch the area around the ears.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 19
When I tried the F1s the driver part was very close to touching my ear, it is pretty shallow. Still, it is off my ear.

They sound good, but not spectacular. I would have done a more in-depth comparison with the headphones I had but it was at the NYC meet, and the environmental noise was killer for such an open-air headphone. I also wasn't listening to my own music. From what I heard they sound similar to the AKG K501, with less detail and more soundstage. A couple years ago I remember checking Amazon, which had new sets for around $150 or so. There are very few nowadays but I would say they go for maybe $150-200 used. eBay has new prices at around $275-300.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 19
IME they are bass neutral, it is there in the right amounts. IME they are V E R Y picky about how you power them, you power them right they sound awesome. They are however not super crazy detailed however. They have an incredible soundstage, among the best of all my cans. They are AWESOME for gaming, yet handle music beautifully too, an awesome all around pair of computer cans.
I had sold a pair about 8 months ago for about $130, they were in EXCELLENT condition, but not as good as one of the pairs I kept, the pair I use however, heh heh heh, that's a different story (they're beat to crap, but I bought them that way) The outer ring sits around your ear, the actual speaker mesh doesn't touch your ear (unless your ears protrude) but as the earpads wear you might notice that you will have to move them a little more forward to keep the mesh from making contact.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
IME they are bass neutral, it is there in the right amounts. IME they are V E R Y picky about how you power them, you power them right they sound awesome. They are however not super crazy detailed however. They have an incredible soundstage, among the best of all my cans. They are AWESOME for gaming, yet handle music beautifully too, an awesome all around pair of computer cans.
I had sold a pair about 8 months ago for about $130, they were in EXCELLENT condition, but not as good as one of the pairs I kept, the pair I use however, heh heh heh, that's a different story (they're beat to crap, but I bought them that way) The outer ring sits around your ear, the actual speaker mesh doesn't touch your ear (unless your ears protrude) but as the earpads wear you might notice that you will have to move them a little more forward to keep the mesh from making contact.

Have you removed the impedance flattening system(2 resistors)? Some Head-Fiers recommended that it should be removed as it brings out the highs and bass (which makes it more dynamic). I removed mine and it still sound very bass light lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back