Are Sony MDR-F1 worth anything?
Apr 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 19
No,I have not removed the resistors.  I have had no problems with dynamics on these, they are just picky to amp, they work GREAT straight out of a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum pro's breakout box.
They also worked great with the MDR-DS8000 surround sound headphone system.
My only problem is that they are not as detailed as the HD650's, but then again they retailed for half as much.
I'm listening to DoublePlusUngood by Seabound, and it sounds incredible, tight plentiful bass, clear highs, clear neutral mids (maybe a hint of warmth...) I have an extra Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card (New but was installed in an aborted setup that never got off the ground)  but I have sort of offered it to another head-fi'r to power their HD650's with, they were supposed to have picked it up by now.... if they flake I guess you can have it (free)

Quote:

Have you removed the impedance flattening system(2 resistors)? Some Head-Fiers recommended that it should be removed as it brings out the highs and bass (which makes it more dynamic). I removed mine and it still sound very bass light lol. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 19
Almost daily, I have seen an interesting looking pair of open Sony headphones whenever I go to my college math lab, through a window nearby in an adjacent room. I am glad I looked online to see what they are because those headphones are the Sony MDR-F1. Is it worth my trouble to ask the owner if I can demo them myself? I am curious because there are quite a few positive reviews online about these and I haven't actually tried these before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back