Are signatures out of control?
Aug 17, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #46 of 127
Wow--just turned them off. I don't think I'll ever go back.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #47 of 127
As a Grado fan who likes a sound that is generally absent in hi-fi, seeing the poster's tilt is critical.

I like signatures...if someone includes gear within them, I can see their history and preferences. I wouldn't want to have to click on someone's profile to see that, because there may be 20 different posters in a thread, each with different histories.

I'm in the, "just turn it off if it bothers you" camp. Although a limit titled toward being longer wouldn't bother me.

To the OP...what was the point of that poll the way you worded it? A stab at humor? I'm suprised anyone wanted a moronic option.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #48 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always felt that sigs or "signatures" on forums such as these were a way to express to those reading your posts, something about your personality, so that readers can understand what kind of person you are, what you're made of and where you're coming from.
Same as your avatar. I can't understand why someone would want their avatar to be a picture of an actor or someone with large breasts wearing headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Agreed, I think it should be for anything you want. I got rid of my signature for awhile and kept getting people saying have you ever even heard a K-1000 or things that made it clear that they didn't look at my profile or "system" link on my signature, so I put my signature back. I think it says what your taste is and I use it when reading people's post. If I see someone like Ken36 with a K-1000 as his reference phone. I think - this guy is very intelligent
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #50 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I was a little blunt and rude, sorry. As stated above I'm in a bit of a bad mood this morning. I just don't like it when people try to limit others ability to express themselves.

That and when you make hot water and don't even drink tea!
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron - I understand your point, but this being an audio forum, I think your rig tells more about you than religious beliefs or a quotes from famous people. This doesn't apply to you, but seems to be pretty prevalent of late.

You don't have your rig listed in your signature, but you have two lines dedicated to how much you've spent and made on here? How is that any different?

Those 2 lines of what I spent and sold on here are made up. It could have been any 2 amounts that equaled a small amount of total out of pocket money spent, with my point mirroring the commercial, and to say that I feel I've gotten more out of the friends that I've made here than on the equipment that I've purchased.
I hope that it's not the general consensus in believing that's what I actually spent and sold. If that's the case, it could appear pretentious and I would want to remove it from my sig.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #52 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, I think it should be for anything you want.

I agree as well. Don't attempt to dictate what you can put in a sig.

But that doesn't mean you can't limit the size to make sure they stay within reason. Avatar pictures have size limits to prevent people from putting in big pictures and messing up the forum formatting. Sigs should be limited for exactly the same reason.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #55 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, those are based on guidelines I wrote!

This is not about censorship or limiting people's ability to express themselves. It's about (1) putting information in the appropriate place and (2) having courtesy to other forum users. If a person wants to list his or her gear so that others in the forum can understand what that person owns and has owned in the past, I am 100% in favor of that. But I am very much opposed to having that information broadcasted in a 15 line signature every single time that person makes a post. The appropriate place for that information is in a profile.

qft

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #56 of 127
As mentioned before, a maximum size would be nice.

After all, all posts have a minimum length - The username, avatar, as well as location, join date, and posts all stretch the post out even if the poster posted one line of text. However, when the signature gets to be 10 lines or more and blares at you in 8 different colours, it gets excessive.

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #58 of 127
All this talk has finally motivated to act and turn off sigs........much better.
If I need any personal info I look in profile where that info belongs.

Now if only we can return to the old early days when Head-Fi did not have all these adds and sidebars cluttering things up..........

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #59 of 127
Isn't it a bit odd that all these people who have signatures of their own are turning signatures off???
blink.gif

Signatures do serve a useful purpose (which is why so many people have them) and it is a shame for everyone to turn them off because a small number of people aren't courteous enough to keep reasonably sized.

Not to sound like a broken record, but limiting the size to 8 lines or less makes this problem go away, and we can move on.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #60 of 127
Why not turn avatars off and just have random people type lines of text to avoid the horrible persecution of having to strain your scroll finger in order to scroll down a bit extra and to make sure no personality or individuality or fun gets into this forum.

Oh tortured life...
rolleyes.gif
we have it so rough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back