Are quality headphones like Sennheiser HD555s worth it if I only use them for laptop audio and my iPod?
Sep 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

uranutan

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying headphones in the $100-$130 range, but I'd just be listening to them through my laptop audio out and my iPod. I'm wondering if it's worth spending that much on headphones if I'm just going to be using those as sources. Is it? If not, is there a relatively cheap headphone amp I can buy?

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 11
Just a thought, the M50 sounds nearly perfect (sound card quality) out of both of those sources. It's also in that price range. I hear cheap headphone amps are pretty useless, by the way. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 11
Short answer, YES! iems (in ear monitors) tend to be designed to have optimal sound without any kind of amping so I would repost in the in-ear forum if i were you. There are a lot of good options in that price range in the iem market (my most recent iems have all been around twice the OP's monetary range so i dont feel qualified to make suggestions at that price range) but take a look around. My reccomend for full sized phones would have to be Grado, any Grado in OP's price range would sound fantastic out of an ipod. My first audiophile grade headphone was the Alessandro MS-1 for $99 new and I haven't gone back ipod buds since (and I have NEVER owned a dedicated headphone amp or DAC so....). 

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 11
I actually just bought a pair of Brainwavz M1s for portable use, just walking around and stuff. I'm not THAT concerned about portability since I have those, which is why I was considering the HD555s, with the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and the ten foot cable and all. Grado seems like a nice brand, but from what I've heard the on-ear type can get uncomfortable. I want the softest, most comfortable pair possible, even at the expense of portability.

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quotes:

I hear cheap headphone amps are pretty useless, by the way. 

Define cheap. I have a $60 PA2V2 that takes my iPod / Koss Porta-Pro's to a level the iPod alone can not match. It also rendered the bass on iM590's more robust and defined without negatively affecting mids or highs. With high end cans like my AKG 601's your statement would seem valid.

I want the softest, most comfortable pair possible, even at the expense of portability.

Some Senns are very comfy. I have 595's and sound quality and comfort are tops. The M50's mentioned should warrant a listen and seem a great bargain for cost v.s. performance. As a side note the Senns will allow music to leak so others around will hear clearly to a certain extent. The M50's will keep listen sessions more private. Food for thought... Good Luck.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 11
Will the the M50's get hotter around my ears as a result of being more isolating (and I assume closed off)? And do the M50's have a replaceable cable? I'd like to be able to replace it in case it breaks or be able to replace it with a longer or shorter cable.
Also, my problem is that I don't have anywhere nearby where I can try any of these headphones. I'd just have to go off of reviews.

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 11
i have the hd-555 with the soundstage mod done to them.  just hooked up to my regular computer on-board sound card and they still sound amazing.  i heard you don't need an amp for the hd-555.  i think they sound phenominal.  the best movies to watch are saving private ryan and lord of the rings.  in lord of the rings you can hear every little footstep, clap, explosion like it's right there.  in saving private ryan, there is a scene where the soldiers are walking across water and i had to take a double look to see if there was water underneath me, it was amazing.  and no i am not joking, it really feels like your there in the battle.  couldn't recommend them enough.  they were my first audiophile headphones and i don't think i can go to anything but sennheiser when it comes to headphones now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back