Are portable amps really worth it?
Jan 6, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

bluey_02

100+ Head-Fier
I know it's hard to quantify an improvement in sound from moving to a portable amp but could anyone give me some sort of percentage indicating the increase in sound quality? Of course you everything has to have stayed the same before and after the adding of an amp, hell, as you read this try removing the amp from the set up and see what it's like. I'm talking about a DAP to portable amp to headphones set up in case that isn't already obvious. Also, are lossless files a definite, absolute must if I buy some mid-range amp like a Tomahawk?

I'm thinking of buying an amp but a small increase in quality or day and night difference would obviously help a lot in deciding.

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 36
When I got my first AMP/DAC, iBasso D1 - the different is very significant, and I'm totally hooked up to this forum (argh!), but when I upgrade my portable amp to desktop amp, again, desktop amp is a great upgrade to my system, but lack of portability might be the only disadvantage having a desktop amp.

If you never experience or ever use headamp before, I would suggest you to get portable first, because it easier to move everywhere, and definitely an upgrade from normal headphone out (ipod), convenient to sell it later on, before making commitment to purchase bigger amp.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 36
percentage increases and quantitative measurements of improvement are going to be difficult to provide. you'll really have to listen to it yourself to see if the difference is worth it to you.

some things to consider:
- portability/hassle factor. is it worth it to carry around more equipment for whatever the gain in sound quality?
- your source. is your source good enough to warrant a good amp?
- your headphones. are your headphones good enough to warrant an amp?

i'm quite happy with my er6i/livewires straight out of my ipod nano with no external amp. i used to have an imod with different portable amps, but the bulk was more than i was willing to put up with, so i ditched all of that for my minimalist portable setup.

however, my laptop rig uses a pico as DAC/amp...and i used to have an alien DAC/PINT...so i'm willing to have a bigger listening setup with my laptop, but not with a small portable player like the nano. YMMV...

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
percentage increases and quantitative measurements of improvement are going to be difficult to provide. you'll really have to listen to it yourself to see if the difference is worth it to you.

some things to consider:
- portability/hassle factor. is it worth it to carry around more equipment for whatever the gain in sound quality?
- your source. is your source good enough to warrant a good amp?
- your headphones. are your headphones good enough to warrant an amp?

i'm quite happy with my er6i/livewires straight out of my ipod nano with no external amp. i used to have an imod with different portable amps, but the bulk was more than i was willing to put up with, so i ditched all of that for my minimalist portable setup.

however, my laptop rig uses a pico as DAC/amp...and i used to have an alien DAC/PINT...so i'm willing to have a bigger listening setup with my laptop, but not with a small portable player like the nano. YMMV...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes with an if
no with a but

YES, if you use high quality throughout the chain or perhaps NO but you will always be wondering just how 'little' or 'big' the difference might have been
wink.gif

Everything really is dependent on you - what you use and how you hear the results.

I have decided to use Livewires as the end of my chain, with FLAC feeding an iRiver H140 through an amp via a cantsleep burned in silver IC. I would definitely say the amp can make at least 20% difference BUT (as FeedMeTrance might put it) that's the difference between low end MidFi sound (say 50% of what's possible) and higher end MidFi sound (say 70% of what's possible) (Note they are my percentages based on my recent testing of a number of amps with my set up - You may find different).

The amps that made the most impact for me were the RSA SR-71 and the Mini3. But the differences between most other amps was minimal in overall percentage terms and very much related to different sound signature characteristics of the various amps - remember I am only trying to find what will work best for me through my Livewires - I think the differences could be much greater with full sized headphones if other threads are correct
wink.gif

Yes, portability/hassle factor is to be considered but, for me, the sound improvement is important regardless of carrying an SR-71 mini brick or even a sizeable Mini 3 (in comparison to a Tomahawk or a Xin amp). For you, size might be much more of a factor, as well as your preferred source audio encoding, etc.

In short - you really will need to try some things out for yourself - and try to get equipment loans from fellow HeadFiers, or arrange mini-meets with them - can save you time and dollars and is a great way to meet your compatriots and share music as well!

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 36
When it comes to IEMs, I compared once my E500 and Samsung YP-Z5 with and without an HR micro amp ('06 version.)

Yes, the sound is slightly smoother and warmer with the amp, but the difference is just too small to bother. It is mostly the amp's sound signature that is added anyway.

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 36
Interesting thread!!! since I am myself considering getting a portable amp.
But my case is a bit different, cause it would be for direct use with an ipod.

I am not happy with the SQ I get out of my ipod classic with the headphones and I think a portable amp can make a difference basically for two reasons, but not sure if I am right:

- The line out of the ipod is much better than the headphone out, so I,ll benefit from that??

- Being a capped EU model I will get more power and volume( I guess this one os obvious)

I really find that moving around with the player and the amp can be a little bit of a hassle, so that's why I am looking for something good and small....the tomahawk or the mini-e. Also like how the iqube fits with the ipod classic but is a very expensive amp.

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 36
An amp is not a magic box that makes everything sound better. When I tried to amp the Westone UM1 through an ipod line-out, I discovered 2 things: 1) the UM1 is a very efficient IEM, and 2) putting an amp with an average gain on a very efficient IEM is not a good idea. I could barely touch the amp's volume control - I could use no more than 25% of the amp's knob, and it was way too sensitive. I also had trouble with the highs - I suspect it was clipping. The UM1 sounded much better directly out of the ipod.

OTOH, the Altec IM716 was completely unsatisfactory to me directly out of the same ipod. I had to crank the volume on the ipod to ~85%, and the sound was still flat and boring. Putting the same amp and line-out in the system completely changed the IM716 - I now like them very much with good low-end extension and highs that have the sparkle I like.

So, I listen to the Westone's when I portable, and the IM716's with the amp when I'm in my office.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 36
I have a pair of beyers DT770pro 80ohm, I have to put my xtrememusic volume tab to 90-95% to get my desired volume.. my hd555 only requires 60%.

I hear a little clipping/distortion with the volume tab @ that high almost maxing out my X-FI, time for an amp?

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 36
Nobody can tell you if a portable amp is worth it or not for you. It may or may not be. You have to discover the answer for yourself. It's part of the Head-Fi journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back