Are portable amps really worth it?
Jan 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #32 of 36
I fall into the "it all sounds better with an amp" category, but I don't own Shure E5xx phones. I find that across the board, hooking up an amp to my phones/DAPs (and they are a decent mix) enhances my experiences. Of course, the caveat is what I am going to be doing when listening. The lighter amp I have, an inexpensive Penguin, is perfect for stuffing into a pocket with my Sony A816, and my PKs or 716s. If I am not going to want an amp, I use the PK3s or the Atrios, and that's good. But on a long distance ride (train, plane, bus, etc.), I'll cart along the MiniboxE+, which is an outstanding amp for the money (there are some strong reviews for it on Head-Fi). That's to use with the 716s, usually, since they isolate sounds best (and really sparkle with an amp).

Anyway, I like what an amp brings to the experience, depending on the situation. Glad I have a couple of low-cost, pretty good quality little boxes.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #33 of 36
I'm using Etymotic ER4S and they don't work very well ampless. If I could find an IEM that I like that wouldn't require an amp, I'd certainly buy it, but for the moment, ER4S is the best thing I heard for portable use. Also, the Nano 3G/Xin SuperMini combo that I have right now fits in the palm of my hand so it's very light and portable.

I used to have a 60GB iMod and Hornet/SuperMacro, but that was the definition of bulky. The sound was a tiny bit better than what I have right now, but it was too much of a hassle to transport. I also like the fact that I can use the headphone out of my Nano, something I couldn't do with the iMod.

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the thread on the P2. I personally have never heard a Tomahawk, but this post
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/iba...2/index15.html
Page 15 from Pete 7 Was enough to push me into buying one, so far I'm very pleased with it.

Yes, already read that post, thanks.

What I am not sure is if it really I am gonna be using an ipod+portable amp on the go. I mean, I'd probably use that set up more at home or in long trips. In short trips and normal communting I will use the Sony NWZ-818 unamped.

So, for that matter, the ibasso might be a better and cheaper option than Tomahawks and others....

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #36 of 36
Ive not had my P2 long, its kind of got a full rounded sound, but its still open, transparent and extended at both frequency extremes, it fleshes out the sound, and because its so rounded you can listen longer without getting any ear fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back