Are people afraid to get involved, or just don't care??
Oct 27, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #31 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Against a couple of dozen (possibly armed) males? You'd likely be dead or dying if you did anything other than pull back a couple hundred meters and call in the cops. Wouldn't be too much help to the girl in that situation either. I almost always carry when legal, but 'the better part of valor is discretion' and I rather like living.

Well, just hope that I am not in that situation.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #32 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, it was a secluded area where a bunch of lowlifes got her too drunk to stand, then raped her with a small crowd of fellow lowlifes onlooking. Nothing was done because no one cared to see it stopped. Less bystander effect, more societal breakdown.

If that's the case, i.e., no one in the area wanted it stopped, that's pretty disturbing for other reasons. It's scary you could get that large a group together who could be so callous and so evil.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #33 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the case, i.e., no one in the area wanted it stopped, that's pretty disturbing for other reasons. It's scary you could get that large a group together who could be so callous and so evil.

Agreed. All the more reason to punish them as accessories. Call it preemptive policing. Proactive, if you will...

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #34 of 134
Two points worth clearing up.

1) This was not in a locker room according to all accounts I've read
2) Police arrived on scene after they received a tip, so clearly someone said something.

You gentlemen should not treat Head-Fi as an accurate source.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #36 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two points worth clearing up.

1) This was not in a locker room according to all accounts I've read
2) Police arrived on scene after they received a tip, so clearly someone said something.

You gentlemen should not treat Head-Fi as an accurate source.

Perhaps you are right. My sentiments still stand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats US HS for ya, deal with it. things like this happen all the time, i thanked god for my uneventful 4years.

That's the spirit. Apathy has always worked well before...

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #37 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two hours later after someone at another house party heard a rumor about it. Someone that was in that courtyard certainly said something, but I rather doubt it was for the benefit of the girl.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 15 yr old was gang raped in a HS locker room after a dance..It was reported that there were 10 students who just watched & did nothing during the 2 hr ordeal.. I believe others also knew, & didn't inform police.. Personally, I would have been enraged, & some heads would have rolled.

u sure they were not making japanese-style pr0n?

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #41 of 134
I think it happens because people don't know how to handle events outside their normal day-to-day activities. An example that many people can relate to is if someone dies, as a person reacts with different emotions, being that nobody has taught them what to think when this happens to someone close to them. If people encounter something very odd, they will do first anything they have been taught to do in such a situation. If not, they will do what they think their mother or father would have done, especially if they knew of their parents to have a strong attitude towards such a situation. Sans that, they will just do nothing or panic, depending on whether the situations affects them directly or not. This is from my own observation by the way.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #43 of 134
There has been countless events like this over time. One of the most famous is the stabbing of a lady, midday, on a street full of people. She was stabbed dozens of times before she died an no one did anything.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #44 of 134
It is probably just a sad reality of todays society. People seems to be more and more self conscious, and many could not care less about what is happening around them as long it is not happening to themselves.
frown.gif

Stories like this seems to show up from time to time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back