Are people afraid to get involved, or just don't care??
Oct 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #46 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Against a couple of dozen (possibly armed) males? You'd likely be dead or dying if you did anything other than pull back a couple hundred meters and call in the cops. Wouldn't be too much help to the girl in that situation either. I almost always carry when legal, but 'the better part of valor is discretion' and I rather like living.

Ok so what do you do? stand there? take pics? If you cut out of there you will be identified as the snitch anyway. Sadly, snitching is worse than rape in the eyes of these thugs.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 134
The real question this should bring up is this:
What do you do in your own life to make society a better place where this kind of thing doesn't happen? If the answer is 'rage on an internet forum about it, then forget it a few weeks later' then you've basically contributed to the problem as an onlooker yourself, and should promptly be labeled a 'hypocrite'(I'm only using that word for its emotional effect, I don't actually have any problem whatsoever with hypocrites).

Now then, let the ignores roll.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #49 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so what do you do? stand there? take pics? If you cut out of there you will be identified as the snitch anyway. Sadly, snitching is worse than rape in the eyes of these thugs.

Leave at the earliest opportunity and call it in. I can always relocate or find another place to sleep for a couple of months. Getting yourself killed while being a hero is far more inconvenient. If I did charge in guns blazing and somehow manage to survive, the harassment from the associates and relatives of the dead would make me wish they thought I was a snitch.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #51 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was the race of the victim and criminals?

I have yet to get those details out of the news stories.. But Richmond CA is a predominantly black community.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #52 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely disgusting. Death sentence for the perps and lengthy prison sentences for the "onlookers". Get rid of societal waste.

I know this won't be a popular comment, but I'll say it anyway. When the hell are these dumb teenage girls going to wise up to the dangers around them?

As long as parents continue to send their kids to school, where they are free to act like animals, and people put indulging their animal desires highest, this kind of thing will continue to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real question this should bring up is this:
What do you do in your own life to make society a better place where this kind of thing doesn't happen? If the answer is 'rage on an internet forum about it, then forget it a few weeks later' then you've basically contributed to the problem as an onlooker yourself, and should promptly be labeled a 'hypocrite'(I'm only using that word for its emotional effect, I don't actually have any problem whatsoever with hypocrites).

Now then, let the ignores roll.

My child will be home-schooled, along, I hope, with a small group of other children, so that she wont be screwed up by the soul-destroying mess that society describes as "education".

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #53 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as parents continue to send their kids to school, where they are free to act like animals, and people put indulging their animal desires highest, this kind of thing will continue to happen.

Uh, yeah, I'm going to have to call you out on that crap. The parents are the very reason that schools have no authority. We are very limited in what we can do as punishment, because we live in a society of lawsuit-happy deadbeat parents. Schools are doing all they can to teach, but they are only 1/3 of the equation. Parents and students being the other 2/3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My child will be home-schooled, along, I hope, with a small group of other children, so that she wont be screwed up by the soul-destroying mess that society describes as "education".

Again, this is crap. Do not blame the schools for the failings of parents.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #54 of 134
Looking at this from a neutral perspective; having grown up in England through the school system there where uniform is mandatory and if you so much as open your mouth in class you spend your lunch hour on detention the American education system seems like a joke. My wife tells me how she slept through classes, groups of people are labeled from the clothes they wear and general disrespect for fellow students and learning in general.

If the American education system really was in place to teach uniforms would be mandatory, this isn't a fashion show, you should go to school to learn. I believe the teachers want to teach but it might be futile unless the system is changed. It's almost as if the schools are dumbed down so you pay so much for either private education or real education once you get out of school.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #55 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at this from a neutral perspective; having grown up in England through the school system there where uniform is mandatory and if you so much as open your mouth in class you spend your lunch hour on detention the American education system seems like a joke.

If America had England's demographics, we wouldn't have such an issue with low SES schools either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was the race of the victim and criminals?

My guess, all Hispanic.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #56 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at this from a neutral perspective; having grown up in England through the school system there where uniform is mandatory and if you so much as open your mouth in class you spend your lunch hour on detention the American education system seems like a joke. My wife tells me how she slept through classes, groups of people are labeled from the clothes they wear and general disrespect for fellow students and learning in general.

If the American education system really was in place to teach uniforms would be mandatory, this isn't a fashion show, you should go to school to learn. I believe the teachers want to teach but it might be futile unless the system is changed. It's almost as if the schools are dumbed down so you pay so much for either private education or real education once you get out of school.

You cannot compare England to the U.S. Like Marvin said, England is about as homogeneous as it gets. The U.S. educational system used to be very strict, but every power has been stripped from us in legal battles and cultural/social differences and changes.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #57 of 134
Let's get real here, chances are if any of the onlookers did anything they would end up dead or in a wheelchair for life. It's easy to act tough on the internet, but try doing something like this in real life, especially when you're not big, popular, have lots of friends, and in general can expect some help when a gang of pissed-off neanderthals comes for you with hurt on their minds. Not helping someone when you have the power to is detestable. But you can't expect someone that doesn't have the power to do anything to try and stick their neck out.

Have you ever been jumped? Have you ever had a gang beat the daylights out of you just for fun? Ever lived in an area where gang warfare is the norm and living to be 25 was an accomplishment? Have you ever been laid up in a hospital for months with no apparent chance of recovery just because some idiot and his friends decided to powertrip by beating the life out of you? Ever had guns pointed at you with obvious intent to blow your head off?

Growing up is no picnic for a lot of people. Now, I'm not saying "let's all cower in fear," but let's not get out the pitchforks just yet. Sure, you could say that not doing anything is cowardly, and on paper, you'd be right. But you don't know the circumstances, and you don't know how you would act in a situation like this without having really been in one.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #58 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If America had England's demographics, we wouldn't have such an issue with low SES schools either.

My guess, all Hispanic.

Just saw on the news that the main suspect or instigator was a 19y/o hispanic. He was a former student at the school it took place at.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #59 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you don't know how you would act in a situation like this without having really been in one.

We can guess, though. About 95% of people in controlled experiments acted just like these people did, so 19/20 of us would statistically do the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back