Are my senn hd280 supposed to sound this limited?
Oct 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jaqueh

500+ Head-Fier

I was promised one of the widest frequency ranges i have ever seen when i checked out the specs when i bought these phones. But since listening to a variety of jazz, classical, rock, and metal i have noticed that they cut out at many low, mid, and high points in the songs that my IEMs can pick up--no problem.

btw i've tried these plugged into my phone and computer. and my guitar amp! don't understand what is going on.

also im comparing these to my senn cx500 and sony IEMs, which produce all freqs fairly and evenly.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 10
HD280 is very good headphone at its price. I do not feel there is lack of highs for its, however, the lows can extend very deep but with very limited quantity. However, EQ justification can do the magic to 280s, just tune up the bass frencuencies to whatever level you'd like to hear and you will like the 280s.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Head-fi!

First off, specs on headphones are just about meaningless.

I am not really sure I would call the hd280's limited, they do have pretty good extension on either side, but the bass is pretty rolled off down low, and they really don't have any impact to speak of. Personally I just thought they were really boring to listen to. They are very neutral, they would probably be very good if you needed them for monitoring, but for general music listening they are not that great. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Probably is not the type of sound signature you like...
triportsad.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 10
yea, what did u end up buying instead? im looking at the sony v6

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 10
[size=10pt]I have owned a pair of HD280 Pro's for years...used in a portable DJ rig for queuing.  I had never really used them for private listening or tried to assess their performance relative to other cans.  That said, I just recently "got into headphones" and portable audio, and have been shopping around and considering other phones and headphone amps and comparing different models, so they entered evaluation mode by default. [/size]

[size=10pt]I have found the 280’s to be better than a pair of little Senn MX-5.. something earbuds I have and another little cheapy pair of Sony earbuds that I used with a Sony Discman long ago.  I also just got a pair of Klipsch X5 IEM’s.  The Klipsch whoop-up on the 280’s in every aspect - dynamics, low level resolution, air, space, bass, treble – just better all around than the 280’s.  However, listening to the Klipsch IEM’s, I discovered that I apparently have abnormally sensitive ear canals and don’t think I’m going to be able to use IEM type cans, at least not for extended listening sessiona – like in my office at work.  So basically, I have come to realize that the 280's are somewhat rolled off at the frequency extremes - both highs and lows compared to other cans I've been checking out.  The 280's are slightly dynamically constricted compared to other cans I’ve heard recently and not the best at low level resolution either.  They are not bad, but they are not great [/size][size=10pt]IMO[/size][size=10pt].  The 280's have a basically somewhat "polite" sonic personality I think it is safe to say.  They are also heavy and hot if you leave them on your head for very long at any one time too.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]So my quest continued, which was now directed toward circum-aural or supra-aurual type cans.  I went and heard the Monster Studio’s and Solo’s… nagh… not exactly what they’re cracked up to be [/size][size=10pt]IMO[/size][size=10pt]– especially for the $$$.  And I listened to the Grado’s up thru the 225 model at a dealer (getting there but still not where I want to be).  Then I stumbled upon a thread here on head-fi about cans for bass lovers – the Sony [/size][size=10pt]MDR[/size][size=10pt]-XB700.  I found a deal on these online for $72 and just received them two days ago.  All I can say, right-out-of-the-box is WOW!   And I’m not talking about just their bass performance, which is better than any I’ve heard via headphones, they are very good across the board - period.  An absolute best-bang-for-the-buck easily that I’ve heard so far.  And even not considering their price, they are very good compared to any cans I’ve heard to date.  Right out of the box their bass will amaze you – not just quantity but quality as well.  They are also very lively and resolute – like “live” music is.  Space and air is as good as I have personally heard so far thru cans.  One area that was slightly out-of-balance to my ears, was a slight upper midrange prominence.  They aren’t harsh at all, but this area just seemed a little more forward or dominent than it should be [/size][size=10pt]IMO[/size][size=10pt].  But I can also say this has improved noticeably with only a couple hours on them too.  If this area of performance continues to improve as they break-in fully, they may smooth out and be just about perfect for my tastes.  For the $$$... you should consider these – you cannot go wrong.  Assuming you can get over the “two pillows” on the side of your head thing.  No doubt, these cans are huge – but this part of their design is also responsible for them being the most comfortable and non-fatiguing cans I’ve ever had on my head too!.  I have found what I was looking for – for now - with the Sony’s.  Now it’s time to try out a few amps. [/size]

[size=10pt]I still want to try out the infamous Senn 650's, the upper end AKG's, Audiotechnia's, Beyer's, etc. just to see if they are worth the $$ to my ears, but the Sony's "satisfy" me for now.  It's also hard these days to find a "stocking" dealer of the higher priced models - at least here in the mid US.  Most dealers have only the lower end models on display and I have only been able to find just a few dealers that even stock the mid-range models.  Finding the higher end cans in-stock somewhere where they can be auditioned is proving almost impossible.  I may end up having to go the used route if I ever want to try out some of the top tier models.[/size]

[size=10pt]* Oh… I forgot to mention, these Sony’s are high efficiency and relatively low impedance – they get big time loud with an iPods headphone out jack without an amp.  So you don't have to worry about them not sounding good without an amp.  However, they are better with an amp - as most cans are.  This morning I’m using them with a Nuforce Icon Mobile connected to an iPod Classic, and they continue to amaze me and are improving with every minute they play.  Time to just "Enjoy the Music" and forget about the equipment for now!
dt880smile.png
[/size]

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 10
wow thank you for the response, that was a really thought out response to my question, and i really do appreciate it. But i think that i have narrowed it down to the Shure 440 or the Sony V6, but the headphone that you recommended to me just adds a new wrinkle to this.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 10
jaqueh, when I first put my HD280's on my head, I pulled them off before completing one song!  The eq was all over the place, I got lost trying to figure out which freq's were emphasized and which were muted.  YUCK.

So I set them up to play continuously and after about 100 hours, could actually stand to have them on my head.  I kept burning them in and after another 100 hours or so, started using them.  I like the soundstage, they are flat, which something that I particularly enjoy,  and work fine from my iPod, but do sound a bit better from a dedicated amp.  They isolate enough that I use them for my travel phones on planes.

I have a relatively narrow head, and I must be kind to these as I've had no issues with build quality.  Just my opinion.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 10

jaqueh said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow thank you for the response, that was a really thought out response to my question, and i really do appreciate it. But i think that i have narrowed it down to the Shure 440 or the Sony V6, but the headphone that you recommended to me just adds a new wrinkle to this.

Many thanks to your description! It's quite useful, This is what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back